Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:06 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by effie g-tad
Quote:
sequel: just look who's crowding our prisons!
Cauz they're full of capitalists?
Or did ya mean Christians?
Or are ya suggesting that most white-collar criminals are both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
It's an interesting thread. I have always wondered what our country would be like if we had an economic system patterned more like that laid out in Leviticus where God required Jubilee years in which land was returned to the original owners and the right of redemption where property had to be returned to impoverished family members so they could make a living for themselves. The Bible is very clear about our duty to take care of the poor and I don't think a practicing Christian can be comfortable with an economic system that doesn't provide for the poor in some way. I don't think wealth is bad but the Bible teaches us to be indifferent to it.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 10-14-2009 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
It's an interesting thread. I have always wondered what our country would be like if we had an economic system patterned more like that laid out in Leviticus where God required Jubilee years in which land was returned to the original owners and the right of redemption where property had to be returned to impoverished family members so they could make a living for themselves. The Bible is very clear about our duty to take care of the poor and I don't think a practicing Christian can be comfortable with an economic system that doesn't provide for the poor in some way. I don't think wealth is bad but the Bible teaches us to be indifferent to it.

I'm all for social and economic justice, and giving to those who are in need.

It's just that too many disagree with the definition of "need", and I'd rather not have the government define it for us.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
It's just that too many disagree with the definition of "need", and I'd rather not have the government define it for us.
I'd rather have the democratic elected government define "need" than the church, simple because we, the people, are the government.
If I'm not mistaken the (Christian) church simply doesn't represent the people.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:09 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by effie g-tad Cauz they're full of capitalists?
Or did ya mean Christians?
Or are ya suggesting that most white-collar criminals are both?
i've stopped reading the news.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by effie g-tad
Quote:
i've stopped reading the news.
Me too.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
This is a neat discussion, 'can a Christian be a capitalist' lol, I'd say most capitalist in the US say their modern day slaves are a blessing from God. "Thank you Jesus, for sending me this imbosol, so I can break his back in your name, deny him just compensation for his work, and go to Malibu instead of offering him health care, I'll give the extra money to my preacher, and maybe he can come with me! oh yes, I pray that the imbosol may see how shameful he is so he to can be a millionaire one day if he changes his ways" The sad thing is, this is true. Yea it's fun to laugh about it but really people don't respect people unless you screw someone over to get rich, like, you idiot, you could be rich if you stabbed someone in the back, well, I'd rather be laughed at for this than be doing the laughing. I'll laugh at how funny your moral compass is rather than how someone tries to do the right thing, what's really not fair is it pays to be a b**ch. Nice people get stomped on, and then they to become b**ches eventually, we all have breaking points. Life's not fair though right? Then the d**ks get the satisfaction that your mean to now, and broke, lol.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
Your view on economic systems is not going to vaccinate you from being fished in by any of the religious systems. Many use the religious network to gain power and wealth while preaching charity and sharing. If you just looking at the wealth of the Catholic Church who preaches charity, but is one of the wealthiest, if not the wealthiest, organizations on the planet you will see religion is just a tool used to control the masses and gain power and wealth. Religion is used to control people who fear standing on their own, regardless of what economic system they follow.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by cncracer
Quote:
Your view on economic systems is not going to vaccinate you from being fished in by any of the religious systems.
Like I posted before, I prefer a democratic elected government over religion simply because a democratic government represents all the people (at least those who take the time to vote) while a religion only represents its believers.

But my op still stands: Can a Christian be a capitalist if the only function of a capitalist is to keep making profit?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
the idea that 'we get to decide who's in power' has always appealed to me, but lately I've had reason to question this. It's nice to think we're in control and all, but I'm beginning to doubt. Personally, for whatever reason, sure this may sound wacky, and yea, maybe it is, but I think Obama being in office is really a blessing from God. I think he has a purpose to help the country in the medical field. The funny thing is he's not even that religious, but I really think he's like our little Jesus soldier for the poor. Of coarse for every person saying that, there's another saying the opposite so w/e. I'm probably treading on dangerous ground here, but really, I mean, as far as the collective state of the US, I think God would try to use politicians more than the religious anyways to save us. Like, if we're not physically healthy, how will we be spiritually healthy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality