Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 11:44 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times

Advertisements

Do anything of the atheist know what I am referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 11:48 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do anything of the atheist know what I am referring to?
what does this mean?

Old 07-04-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Interesting question, L8Gr8
Can we clarify some terms so we are both in the same place.
What do you mean be consciousness?
The word is confusing to me. Is it consciousness as in losing it from a bump on your head, or under anesthesia? That is biological to me. Understood that way I am not able to answer that because I am not quite sure how exactly this consciousness functions, or even what it is a product of.

Then there is the Consciousness that is Awareness, as you mentioned Self. That is aware that you know. Aware that you know that you know. In that case if my awareness is switched for your awareness it would come to the same conclusion which would be nothing. Awareness does not conclude, it just observes, and lights up your knowledge.
I don't know if I answered your question. I hope to see other responses.
The part that observes or aware can only observe what is within it's own consciousness.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:50 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so look up deity. deity is a god or goddess
"A monotheistic deity, known as "God", is usually described as omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, omnibenevolent and eternal. However, not all deities have been regarded this way and an entity does not need to be almighty, omnipresent, omniscient, omnibenevolent or eternal to qualify as a deity."

"Although most monotheistic religions traditionally envision their God as omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, and eternal,[11][12] none of these qualities are essential to the definition of a "deity"[13][14][15] and various cultures have conceptualized their deities differently."

Wikipedia article, note references

Old 07-04-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The post you responded to said they are difficult to follow. And they are. Synonyms for stringent are rigorous and exacting.

They are rigorous and exacting in terms of putting them into practice, and what is asked of a person seeking to follow them in daily life, in relationships, in all interactions, in examining and taking responsibility for our thought, speech, and action, and in all of our responses to whatever a person faces in life.
I'm going to repeat it again: Buddhist guidelines are not stringent. They are suggestions as to how to reduce suffering.

They are not commandments. They are suggestions to relieve suffering.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:54 AM

Here is what I am trying to say.
https://neurosciencenews.com/pure-consciousness-18969/

Old 07-04-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
what point or section of the article is related to what you are seeking to say?

Old 07-04-2022, 11:59 AM

15,971 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm going to repeat it again: Buddhist guidelines are not stringent. They are suggestions as to how to reduce suffering.

They are not commandments. They are suggestions to relieve suffering.
They are guidelines to follow and the attitude to develop, not mere suggestions If you dont attempt to follow his guidelines and lead a life accordingly, as many real Buddhists do, then what part of it makes one a Buddhist and one not?

Old 07-04-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
They are guidelines to follow and the attitude to develop, not mere suggestions If you dont attempt to follow his guidelines and lead a life accordingly, as many real Buddhists do, then what part of it makes one a Buddhist and one not?
"Guidelines" are not "commandments".

We have no god to answer to if we don't follow the guidelines.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
The part that observes or aware can only observe what is within it's own consciousness.
yes.
but pure awareness does not draw conclusions.

there is observing....pure awareness observes.
and then there is the story we spin and the drama and suffering we create as a result of what we observe....that is NOT awareness. drawing conclusions is not awareness.

awareness observes. period full stop. drawing conclusions is spinning story about what is observed.
awareness is big sky. clouds passing through the sky are the drama, thoughts, emotions, judgments, conclusions, story.

clouds pass. sky is always there.
awareness is sky. not the clouds which come and go.

Quote:
You may be correct in reference to some sects. That wasn't what I got from it just like not everyone sees the same thing when they read the Bible. People see different things in these text even between their prior self and their present self. They might see something different tomorrow. I have a question for you that pertains to the nature of the self. Anyone can take a stab at it. If you ran your consciousness over the landscape of my mind, my experiences, my biases, my skills or lack of, do you think you would come to different conclusion than I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality