Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 PM

553 posts, read 568,275 times

Advertisements

Deuteronomy 12:31: You must not worship the LORD your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the LORD hates. They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods.

Deuteronomy 18:9-12: When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire...Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.

The above scriptures are allegedly from the mind of God, but read what this same God allegedly says elsewhere speaking to Abraham:

Genesis 22:2: Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

Huh???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
Deuteronomy 12:31: You must not worship the LORD your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the LORD hates. They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods.

Deuteronomy 18:9-12: When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire...Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.

The above scriptures are allegedly from the mind of God, but read what this same God allegedly says elsewhere speaking to Abraham:

Genesis 22:2: Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

Huh???
I'm not sure you should be reading the bible. It seems to confuse you as much as it does me.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:00 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,064 times
It was confusing to Abraham, too. God made a covenant with Abraham that his descendants would outnumber the grains of sand and the stars in the sky. By being asked to sacrifice his son Isaac, this would put an end to that covenant and God doesn't do that.

But, God never intended for Abraham to sacrifice his son. It was an examination, a test, of Abraham's heart to see if he loved God more than the son he longed for for many, many decades. An idol is anything in our life that comes before God's place in our lives. To many people TV has become an idol because they spend hours in front of it and very little, if any, time with God.

So, God tested Abraham. When Abraham was about to go through with it, God stopped him and provided a ram for the sacrifice instead.

The wonderful thing about this is that it foreshadows what would happen later in the New Testament. Where Abraham left off, God continued, by sacrificing His own Son, Jesus (the lamb of God), for the sins of the world. But this time, the sacrifice was completed.

I hope this helps with your understanding.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm not sure you should be reading the bible. It seems to confuse you as much as it does me.
Yeah, I agree with sanspeur.

Reading it backwards with no concept of how to discern just doesn't seem to be working for you.

Please share the passage where Abraham's son was sacrificed.

I thought I had vast amounts of scripture in my Bible where he was a major role. But maybe that was just his ashes!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:06 AM

How about asking Abraham to, say, walk to Siberia naked as a test of faith? Why request something you explicitly forbade elsewhere? Ok, I know some will say, well the law of Moses where it is prohibited was not yet given, but one would have to believe that judging from the biblical content, human sacrifice was forbidden before, during and after Moses as it would involve murder.

In my opinion, there were far more other "tests" God could have used. Look at Job. Allow Issac to be killed, his fortune to evaporate and/or Sarai to run off with Abimilech or something. Why "tempt" Abraham with something you loathe and then we are told he tempts no one. What if Abe never heard voices to stop?

Simple living, I hear your point, but c'mon, doesn't it sound a little too far fetched? If you or I saw our neighbor doing tat with his only son, born to him after year of being told he and his wife could not have a child and that he is doing it because he heard God's voice, would you think he was sane? Now, if you are sitting with your children and trying to teach them a lesson on loyalty an faithfulness and you whipped up a story to prove it and started with "Once upon a time," then that might be be more plausible because in the end they should know that it is all a story of fantasy designed to teach a lesson.

On another note, I wonder who heard all of this to record it?

Last edited by yydanay515; 06-20-2008 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
How about asking Abraham to say, walk to Siberia naked as a test of faith? Why request something you explicitly forbade elsewhere? Ok, I know some will say, well the law of Moses where it is prohibited was not yet given, but one would have to believe that judging from the biblical content, human sacrifice was forbidden before, during and after Moses as it would involve murder.
yyd, please show me where the human sacrifice occurred? I'm confused.

Quote:
In my opinion, there were far more other "tests" God could have used. Look at Job. Allow Issac to be killed, his fortune to evaporate and/or Sarai to run off with Abimilech or something. Why "tempt" Abraham with something you loathe and then we are told he tempts no one. What if Abe never heard voices to stop?
You realize this paragraph above basically says, "If I were God, this is how I would have done it." Well, you're not, so....... Where did God tempt Abraham? Seriously, my friend, I don't understand. You seem to be struggling with something that would make no sense IF God would have allowed Abraham to sacrifice Issac. But He didn't.

Quote:
Simple living, I hear your point, but c'mon, doesn't it sound a little too far fetched? If you or I saw our neighbor doing tat with his only son, born to him after year of being told he and his wife could not have a child and that he is doing it because he heard God's voice, would you think he was sane? Now, if you are sitting with your children and trying to teach them a lesson on loyalty an faithfulness and you whipped up a story to prove it and started with "Once upon a time," then that might be be more plausible because in the end they should know that it is all a story of fantasy designed to teach a lesson.
What we see and think is sane today has no bearing on what's contained in the Bible. We needed all the biblical stories and characters to teach us something about Christ, our lives, our positions in the Kingdom, and the role and sovereignty of God. I'm not sure we'd think some guy riding through the streets on horseback shouting 'The British Are Coming!' would be sane either. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Quote:
On another note, I wonder who heard all of this to record it?
You know my answer for this. It was revealed to whom God appointed.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
yyd, please show me where the human sacrifice occurred? I'm confused.
We don't read any such thing. My point is, why tempt/test with something that is/was forbidden? In fact, a prohibition you (God) ordered?

Quote:
You realize this paragraph above basically says, "If I were God, this is how I would have done it." Well, you're not, so....... Where did God tempt Abraham? Seriously, my friend, I don't understand. You seem to be struggling with something that would make no sense IF God would have allowed Abraham to sacrifice Issac. But He didn't.
Well it appears I would have done a better job then because I would not have resorted to requesting such a barbaric act to prove a point. The request would be equivalent to me teaching my son that murder is wrong but to prove his loyalty to me, ask him to stand on my roof, aim a gun at his best friend ad ask him to kill him.

Quote:
What we see and think is sane today has no bearing on what's contained in the Bible.
The reverse is true, however.

Quote:
I'm not sure we'd think some guy riding through the streets on horseback shouting 'The British Are Coming!' would be sane either. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Ah...but the people were at least aware that their rebellion would have brought the British to the colonial shores. I'm sure their invasion was not a surprise so hearing Paul Revere shout that was taken VERY seriously.

Quote:
You know my answer for this. It was revealed to whom God appointed.
Or the story is a story to teach an object lesson. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
We don't read any such thing.
Exactly.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Exactly.
You're intentionally failing to see the point, right?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You're intentionally failing to see the point, right?
No, you're failing at making one.

You're saying that God shouldn't have told Abraham to kill Issac and then later say you shouldn't sacrifice your children.

Well, Abraham didn't sacrifice Issac, as you've stated.

So the only point I've seen thus far is:

If I were God, this would be a better way to do this.

Well, good luck with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality