Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times

Advertisements

Pakistani Muslims Form Human Chain To Protect Christians During Mass (PHOTOS)

Think how dangerous it must be in this county to stand up to injustice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 02:19 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
Indeed they do.
I hope that this shows the world (especially the US) that Muslims are typically a peaceful and respectful people and that with any religion or group, there are a few extremists and not to lump everyone together and give them all the same label.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Indeed they do.
I hope that this shows the world (especially the US) that Muslims are typically a peaceful and respectful people and that with any religion or group, there are a few extremists and not to lump everyone together and give them all the same label.
Some are, yes. But there are many islamic countries that are very hostile to Christians and make it illegal to convert from Islam to another religion.

It's a fact that you don't see Christians having to line the streets to protect Muslims while they pray in a mosque in America.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:51 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Some are, yes. But there are many islamic countries that are very hostile to Christians and make it illegal to convert from Islam to another religion.
The USA does show some hostility against Muslims. Here is a snippet that lists incidents at Mosques in the US. There is some level of hostility in the USA by some non-Muslims. Do not be surprised if in the near future it becomes hazardous to be a Muslim in the USA. The below listing does contain some Arab Christian Churches and a Sikh Temple as it is believed they were mistaken for Mosques.

Quote:
2012 SUMMARY of attacks on mosques (includes attacks on Arab churches and Sikh Temple)CALIFORNIA - Ibrahim Khillullah Mosque in Fremont, man threatened to shooteveryone. - An Nur mosque in Ontario had pig legs thrown on the sites driveways. Prayers at a Hayward Mosque were disrupted by teenagers throwing lemons and oranges, shooting bb guns, and insulting worshippers. - West Sacramento Islamic Center vandalized for second time. — Woman arrested at Islamic School and mosque in Florida for carrying a sword onto the property. — ILLINOIS - Gravestones at Evergreen Park cemetery vandalized twice. - Lombard Mosque College Prep School hit with an acid filled bottle thrown during Taraweh prayers. - Muslim Education Center Mosque in Morton Grove had shots fired during Taraweh prayers. — MARYLAND - Riverview Islamic Center vandalized. — MICHIGAN - Mother of the Savior Lutheran Church (Arab Christian) in Dearborn vandalized twice in a week. - Fire and graffiti at Dearborn mosque. — MISSOURI - Two arsons attacks on Joplin mosque, second destroyed it. NEVADA - Las Vegas mosque arson. — NEW HAMPSHIRE - Our Lady of the Cedars Melkite Church Arabic sign vandalized. NEW YORK - Elderly man beaten and stabbed when he came to open the doors of a Queen Mosque. - Masjid Darul Quran Mosque in N. Bayshore vandalized. - Fire bomb attack on Queens Imam al Khoei Mosque. OHIO Arson attack on Toledo Mosque. OKLAHOMA - Oklahoma City Mosque vandalized by paint balls fired at it. PENNSYLVANIA - St. Ann’s Arab Catholic Cathedral in Pottsville vandalized and Palestinian flags torn down. — RHODE ISLAND - N. Smithfield Mosque vandalized. — SOUTH CAROLINA - Rock Hills Mosque vandalized. — TENNESSEE - Man arrested for threats to blow up Murfreesboro mosque. — TEXAS - Man arrested for threatening to kill as many as possible at San Antonio Mosque. = A dead pig left outside a Houston mosque. — VIRGINIA - Harrisonburg Mosque vandalized. - Dar al Hijrah Mosque in Falls Church vandalized. — WISCONSIN - Terrorist attack on Sikh Temple (possibly thought it was a mosque).
The source link gives additional incidents. SOURCE

It does contain some Sikh Temples and Arab Christian Churches as many people seem to think all Arabs are Muslims and also often mistake Sikhs as Muslims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's a fact that you don't see Christians having to line the streets to protect Muslims while they pray in a mosque in America.
True but did find this.

Quote:
Protestors Are Awesome: Christians Protecting Praying Muslims in Egypt

Depicted in this photo, an image from an anonymous source on the ground in Egypt, is a team of Egyptian Christians forming a massive human shield to protect their Muslim countrymen as they prayed during the violent protests yesterday. Beauty amid the chaos.
Update: The woman behind this photo is said to be Egyptian Nevine Zaki.
“Christians protecting Muslims during their prayers in Tahrir yesterday. Their turn to repay the favor after Muslims turned up to protect Coptic churches on their Christmas Mass after the Alexandria bombing. In the darkness, we find the meaning of light…” Maryam Ishani
SOURCE

While the Terrorists that blow up Churches and Kill Christians claim to be Muslim. they have no qualms about killing Muslims. We have a common enemy. Terrorists do not follow a religion, no matter what they claim to be.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 10-08-2013 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: added Snippet Source

Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Yes. We do have a common enemy. I believe that these terrorists are hiding behind a faith and that the leaders do not give a care about religion, only power - and a power based upon intimidation and terror.

I do not in any way think that it will ever be a crime to be Muslim in this country. I do not happen to like strict religions in any way, but we really have (as you have been kind enough to point out) our own crazies, some religion based and they are way worse than your average Muslim or Catholic or Mormon or Orthodox Jew, etc, etc.

The best thing (and this will probably not happen) that Muslims can do is to show people that they are just normal folks, like everyone else. Do not dress in strange garb. Do not ask for special religious based favors at work or at school. Live in integrated communities. Speak English in public. Welcome investigations by authorities. Be super citizens and do not ever appear to be evading scrutiny.

I think that it is human nature to have suspicion about anything strange. That can be gotten over in time, but with Muslims there is this little problem with terrorists and th lack of obvious blowback to them by the main Muslim majority. So some people get suspicious. It is human to think that way.

The Muslim community leaders, I am thinking, should not be sparing with their praise of these Pakistani Muslims and more such activities should be encouraged.

I hope that happens.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. We do have a common enemy. I believe that these terrorists are hiding behind a faith and that the leaders do not give a care about religion, only power - and a power based upon intimidation and terror.

I do not in any way think that it will ever be a crime to be Muslim in this country. I do not happen to like strict religions in any way, but we really have (as you have been kind enough to point out) our own crazies, some religion based and they are way worse than your average Muslim or Catholic or Mormon or Orthodox Jew, etc, etc.

The best thing (and this will probably not happen) that Muslims can do is to show people that they are just normal folks, like everyone else. Do not dress in strange garb. Do not ask for special religious based favors at work or at school. Live in integrated communities. Speak English in public. Welcome investigations by authorities. Be super citizens and do not ever appear to be evading scrutiny.

I think that it is human nature to have suspicion about anything strange. That can be gotten over in time, but with Muslims there is this little problem with terrorists and th lack of obvious blowback to them by the main Muslim majority. So some people get suspicious. It is human to think that way.

The Muslim community leaders, I am thinking, should not be sparing with their praise of these Pakistani Muslims and more such activities should be encouraged.

I hope that happens.
One problem

Quote:
We have no ordained clergy nor any central religious leadership. Many Muslims are quite reluctant to follow anyone claiming to be a religious leader.

Islam is all about personal responsibility, not dependant upon following any clergy. Here in the USA I believe the majority of Muslims do all their praying at home and seldom attend a Mosque. Of those who attend a Mosque I doubt if any attend the same Mosque for all 5 daily prayers. Most will simply attend the closest Mosque to them. Many Mosques do not have a regular Imam, often it is the oldest person present who will lead the prayers.

There is no Laity-Clergy relationship like is found in many Christian denominations. Every Adult Muslim Male can be considered to be an Imam.

Also in many Mosques the only sermon ever given is given about 15 minutes before the Friday Jummah prayer. Most Islamic teaching takes place in the home. Often a person's mother will be the only Muslim teacher they will ever have.

While I agree it would be nice that those brave people be known to Muslims world wide, it is not likely to happen unless they find the story online or in world news. As it is a story showing Muslims in a positive light I doubt it will ever make world wide news.

While many Muslim immigrants do live in somewhat closed communities this has been the pattern for all immigrants. People simply like to be near people that speak the same language.

A cute story from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Overheard at a supermarket by someone waiting in line and hearing a woman on a cell phone speaking in another language:

MAN: "I didn't want to say anything while you were on the phone, but we are in America now. We speak English.

WOMAN: "Excuse me?"

MAN (speaking very slowly): "If you want to speak Mexican you need to go back to Mexico. We are in America. We speak English."

WOMAN (also speaking very slow): "I was speaking Navajo. If you want to speak English, go back to England."

SOURCE

Unless you are Native American your ancestors, like my ancestors, were people wearing strange clothes, living in their own communities, not assimilating and speaking a strange language. My family was Lithuanian and came here in about 1885. But even though they were Christians, they were guilty of the same thing, wearing strange clothes, living among other Lithuanians and speaking a strange language.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Indeed they do.
one million dead in Iraq most killed by fellow Muslims
did u say a few extremists?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 PM

995 posts, read 956,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Pakistani Muslims Form Human Chain To Protect Christians During Mass (PHOTOS)

Think how dangerous it must be in this county to stand up to injustice.

Muslims shielding Christian? How very un-Islamic like. Muhammad teaches all Muslims to hate Christians Jews and every other "non believer". Muhammad is probably turning in his grave.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
one million dead in Iraq most killed by fellow Muslims
did u say a few extremists?
Iraq is still a war zone only now it is primarily Arab vs Iranian. Iran has long wanted to annex Iraq. with us setting up a Shi'i Government we have set the stage for an Iranian take over. Most Shi'a in Iraq are Iranian and have allegiance to the Ayatollah.

While here in the US we see it as Muslim fighting Muslim, it is Arabs fighting Iranians.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Muslims shielding Christian? How very un-Islamic like. Muhammad teaches all Muslims to hate Christians Jews and every other "non believer". Muhammad is probably turning in his grave.
I suspect that the Koran has many contradictions and inconsistencies, just as does the Christian Bible. On one hand Christian are told to love their neighbor and on the other God has slaughtered thousands of innocents and even almost entirely wiped out humanity, if we are to believe that.

Did not American slave owners feel justified because the Bible says nothing contradicting slavery - it really accepted such a relationship as normal? Racists often pointed to Biblical passages to support their claims.

I, personally, am fed up with religion, but we should not make the mistake of condemning an entire people because of the actions of a few. Do the Aryan Nation (Christian Identity) characters represent the majority of Christians? Not be a long shot. Well, Muslims are facing the same problem in their ranks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality