Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times

Advertisements

Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. I know the Lord wants us to have a soulmate to shares each others love as well as being obedient to one another where both are loving and obedient to Him.

I couldn't imagine the alimony payments with multiple divorces,that would be a staggering amount,especially in the case of Solomon. LOL!

Last edited by noland123; 07-10-2008 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
To each his own but I couldn't imagine haveing two or three wives and a dozen children screaming and yelling all the time, ones enough for me

Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
I'm not going to say it's moral or immoral but I really don't see the appeal in having several wives. As others have said, one is enough for me. I just can't imagine having two women yelling at me when I get home because I forgot to take my shoes off or because I left the toilet seat up. Geez... Some people are quite the masochist.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines...
I couldn't imagine the alimony payments with multiple divorces,that would be a staggering amount,especially in the case of Solomon. LOL!
So much for the wisdom of Solomon...

Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 AM

167 posts, read 492,424 times
I think people should be allowed to choose how they live their own lives. Simple as that.

That said, I'm not okay with any faiths that allow polygamy for the husband, while restricting the wife from doing so. It has to go both ways, or none at all.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 AM

655 posts, read 916,342 times
All I can say about it, is my "honey do" list is already almost unbearable as it is now. I cannot fathom 2, or 3 wives working on that list. Not to mention, as we age, the male generally wants "it" less, while the female wants it more. This can be a hard enought task to keep up with for one woman.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Anthropologically speaking, polygamy is the most common form of marriage so it is not exactly something ab-normal. Men always had a responsibility socially to be the "provider" for women and polygamy was borne out of a natural order of thing for many tribal societies not a rampant lust for many partners.

Polyandry is a lot rarer of course as most societies tend to frown on women having more than one husband but does occur nonetheless.

I don't particularly see the attraction of it myself but I am prepared to accept that it does work for some people.

As long as it goes both ways and that women are never coerced or pressured into it. Some people are capable of being in love with more than one person, I don't understand it but why should I judge.

If both sides are fully consenting and truly happy in the relationship I don't really see why it is up to me to judge how people lead their lives as long as it does not impact on the rest of society and is not harmful.

It should definitely be Polygamy and Polyandry side by side though.
I remember seeing a programme recently and the women featured were actually adamant that they did not want to be monogamist. According to them they felt more liberated from domestic pressures and sexual pressures put upon them by their husband and seemed to find true sisterhood with other wives.

Not for me , but then again nobody is saying anyone should be forced into it.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:54 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,545,236 times
I always wonder why you don't see more polygamist relationship with one wife and multiple husbands. Anyone know why?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,257 times
Polygamy? I don't care...it's a personal choice...AS LONG AS the wives are all over the age of 18 and have married because they wanted to!

Old 07-11-2008, 03:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
redjuel wrote:
Quote:
I always wonder why you don't see more polygamist relationship with one wife and multiple husbands. Anyone know why?
I don't think there's many men who would even consider such an arrangement. I also think another factor is that some women do believe in the authority of a man over the household (I've never understood why) and they also tend to bond with the other women. At least that's the impression I got after watching a documentary several years ago when I saw interviews with several women and one man who were polygamists. The women talked about the friendships they had formed with each other and they appeared to be perfectly happy in this situation. They also discussed how the last marriage had been a group choice, I guess you could say, because the husband just didn't come home with yet another wife, they were already acquaintances and their friendship grew before the marriage took place. I find it very strange but there didn't appear to be any sort of abusive situation with the children and everyone seemed happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality