Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 PM

5,524 posts, read 7,361,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
but traveling in time is done with the spirit or astral body, not any physical vessel or rocket ship. That "technology" is cumbersome, primitive and unnecessary. Think outside the box folks. It is like on the old Star Trek where people "dissolved" themselves in that tube thingy, and then "reassembled" themselves in another location, that's what it more closely resembles.
Yea that's it.
Just dissolve myself in a tube thingy.
Ok, so what's this "reassembling" thing again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 PM

244 posts, read 393,618 times
Of course time travel is possible! We're all going forward in time at a rate of 60 seconds per minute.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,437,050 times
Quote:
but traveling in time is done with the spirit or astral body, not any physical vessel or rocket ship. That "technology" is cumbersome, primitive and unnecessary. Think outside the box folks. It is like on the old Star Trek where people "dissolved" themselves in that tube thingy, and then "reassembled" themselves in another location, that's what it more closely resembles.
Before anyone else jumps on DimSumRaja for this, look up astral travel online and you'll be able to better understand about what he/she is talking. I'm sure Wikipedia has something listed on it by now. I've tried it, but haven't succeeded yet. One of these days.

Now, can I insert some humor into this thread? With all the cave men walking around (and posting on this forum), it seems that some have already mastered time travel.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Astral travel is akin to levitation...Both wishful thinking, but think of the gas I could save if it were possible...

Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,444,812 times
No, time travel is impossible.

Time does not exist in and of itself. Time is just a function of matter moving in space. Time is the relationship between the different pieces of matter. There is nothing to go back too. Our minds remember matter in space as different. This is our past recollection of the arrangement of matter. This past recollection of the arrangement of matter is what we call our memory of the past.

If a loved one dies their matter is still with us. It is just in a different form and we bury it in the grave.

If we wanted to have matter rearanged back to the way it was when that person was alive, that means that we would have to move every single particle in the entire universe back into the position it was (this is a specific position but what we refer to as a specific time). The problem with this is that we want to have our cake and eat it to. We want to go back knowing what we know now or with a cure to that persons disease. So we want all matter rearanged except the nero activity of our brain or that needle with the antidote etc... The problem with this is that events will not occour again the way they happened. Not just accounting for the changes that we chose to make to the arrangement of matter, Randomness is random reguardless of the arrangement of matter in the universe. So time cannot be rewound like a video and replayed. It will just not come out the same each time if it could.

We are so attached to the notion of time that the fact that it does not exist may seem disconcerting. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you eventually would have to find it out. We have so many needs in order for the arrangement of our matter (bodies) to not begin to decay, that we feel that time exists. We need food because chemical processes have to occur in our bodies. These chemical processes just hold our complexity together.

The bases of this is if you had one indivisible particle in space. It would not matter if that particle would spin or move in any direction. Space is endless, so that particle's movement is irrellevant. Introduce a seccond particle into the senario. now the movement of the first partical can be rated in relation to the seccond. The distance between them can be determined by the diameter of the partical. So now there is size, movement to and away and spin rotation becomes relevant in relationship to each other. We know that they can be 20 diameters apart and moving 1 diameter appart but in what dimension (what we call speed) since time does not exist it is irrellevant. There is nothing to relate them to. If the one moved around the other we still could not determine it because there is no reference for this circular motion. both particals would just appear as remaining an equal distance from each other. Now add a third discrete partical and everything explodes. One partical is now seen moving around the second in relation to the third. The birth of what we call time. So time is a function of matter in three distances of space (width, depth and height).

Now we can see this relationship of matter in our universe. these discrete particles can now be compared to planets. Time that we know it is just a function of the movement of these great globs of matter.

Now if we consider the discrete particle as the photon of light. If we consider millions upon millions of photons issuing from one point in the universe and moving out wards, then this movement would act as the clock to any other particle in space. because all matter can be compared to its relation to that central point of light in space. The shadows created on the matter shows which side is in relation to this source as it moves. This shows how the heavenly bodies move in relationship to light of a source like the sun.

So, time as we know it only exists because it is a relationship of matter in space, but is not a thing that exists in and of itself. If we remove all matter from space there is no time.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:53 AM

22,612 posts, read 19,322,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post

Time does not exist in and of itself. Time is just a function of matter moving in space. If we remove all matter from space there is no time.
There is still no time, even with all the matter that is in space!
We can visit what we call the past, we can visit what we call the future.
But that is because they are all (all those "stories") going on simultaneously, now at the same time. It is like viewing in different movie theatres that are all playing at the same time, but showing different movies (different parts of this life that is mine; or movies showing my different lives)

The only time there is, and has ever been, is this moment, this now. That is why it is said that the point of power for us is NOW this moment. The essence that is me is eternal and in many what we call places at once. My physical form may change as physical matter, but the part of me that is eternal continues to look through many eyes (the view i had as a 4-year-old, the view i had 2 centuries ago). The you that is eternal is what is looking through your eyes, that part continues even when the physical body crumbles away.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,444,812 times
Quote:
There is still no time, even with all the matter that is in space!
We can visit what we call the past, we can visit what we call the future.
But that is because they are all (all those "stories") going on simultaneously, now at the same time. It is like viewing in different movie theatres that are all playing at the same time, but showing different movies (different parts of this life that is mine; or movies showing my different lives)

The only time there is, and has ever been, is this moment, this now. That is why it is said that the point of power for us is NOW this moment. The essence that is me is eternal and in many what we call places at once. My physical form may change as physical matter, but the part of me that is eternal continues to look through many eyes (the view i had as a 4-year-old, the view i had 2 centuries ago). The you that is eternal is what is looking through your eyes, that part continues even when the physical body crumbles away.
Huh? I am not talking of spiritual matters, but only time in pertaining to physics.

On a spiritual level you did not exist 2 centuries ago, unless you are more than 200 years old. You came into being as a spirit when your parrents united. From the joining of their spirit came yours. Since you are not them, you did not exist before your conception.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 PM

658 posts, read 833,333 times
If it is, send me back to when I was 16.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:34 PM

22,612 posts, read 19,322,876 times
Quote:
Huh? I am not talking of spiritual matters, but only time in pertaining to physics.
Same thing! Laws of physics, laws of the universe, facets of the same gem.

Quote:
On a spiritual level you did not exist 2 centuries ago, unless you are more than 200 years old. You came into being as a spirit when your parrents united. From the joining of their spirit came yours. Since you are not them, you did not exist before your conception.

My physical body did not exist 200 years ago. The spirit that is me DID exist 200 years ago (and far earlier). What came into being/beginning when my parents created a new embryo/life, is the physical body that houses the eternal part of me this lifetime.

It's like taking on and off different suits of clothing. I wear the clothes, I am not the clothes. I am an eternal being clothed currently and temporarily in this physical body. When what we call "death" occurs, I shed that physical body, as I have done many lifetimes before.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,644,263 times
Nikk wrote:
Quote:

Time does not exist in and of itself. Time is just a function of matter moving in space.
That's true but if you were able to leave the earth in some sort of space craft that could approach the speed of light and then return to the earth the earth would have gone through perhaps centuries of time while your space flight may have only lasted a few hours so in a sense it is possible to travel into the future due to time dilation. Einstein proved this was true and it's been demonstrated using atomic clocks that were exactly in sync with each other and then one of the atomic clocks was taken aboard an aircraft for a long flight while the other one stayed put on the ground. When the flight was over there was a tiny difference between the two clocks due to the time dilation caused by the flight. It's so astronomically small that it wouldn't be noticeable to anyone taking a flight but it is a very real phenomenon and one of the pecularities that Einstein discovered about the nature of time. From everything I've read I don't believe it would be possible to go back in time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality