Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM

126 posts, read 299,819 times

Advertisements

...when the Dr.was very rude about her,assuming she wouldn't hear him or understand.I really would liked 2 punched the daylights out of him!,instead I went home &bawled my eyes out,I'm sure she did 2.Shame on that Dr.&any other person w/so little resp.4 someone just becuase they R up N their yrs,that doesn't change the fact that they R human 2,&deserve way better treatment than that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 04:55 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,362 times
I have and I do...my grandmother lived to 103...my other lived to 96...but it was not because of ethics or morals that I cared for them. It was out of love and respect.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I have and I do...my grandmother lived to 103...my other lived to 96...but it was not because of ethics or morals that I cared for them. It was out of love and respect.
Maybe it's just me but I don't see a whole lot of differences between the words that I bolded above. It's interesting, though, that people want to make the distinction. As if ethics and morals are somehow "lesser than" base emotions like love and respect. The way I see it, love and respect are catalysts for ethics and morals.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
true religion, is coming to the help of "widows" and "orphans".

my 82yr old mother in law has been with us for over 4 years since her stroke.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:46 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
A couple of situations with relatives and friends have occurred in the last couple of years regarding the care of an ill and aging parent that have prompted me to ask this question. My two cousins (brother and sister) who live in the Seattle area but grew up in Montana like myself and are lifelong friends of mine had a terrible strain on their relationship when their Mother who is my aunt had to be put into a nursing home and it was very expensive. Their financial situations were very different, one was very affluent and the other was just average in terms of income. When it came to paying the bill for the nursing home my cousins and their families almost reached the point of a physical fight. It was finally agreed that each family would pay half and after a few years of not even speaking to each other my aunt finally passed away last year. Right before she died they had agreed that it would be a blessing to my aunt if they became close again and they did.
The other situation is that of one of my best friends in Montana who spent years taking care of her ailing Mother and now that her Mother has passed away she has been left broke because she spent most of her adult life taking care of her Mother. She lost the house due to debts and she's just living day to day in a tiny apartment in Montana. She's intelligent and responsible but chose to take care of her Mother instead of herself. Now her economic situation is desperate and she's just scaping by even though she's in her late 50's like I am.
I'm not sure that these questions fit neatly into religion and philosophy but it's certainly a question of ethics and responsibility. I'm wondering what others think about the responsibility that they owe to their parents and to what extent they should be pursued. Fortunately, my Mother and StepFather are much better off financially than I am but I know that I would do anything if my Mother needed any kind of help. What do you think?
I actually do, my parents have been great, and frankly, I couldn't have asked for anyone better. They deserve more than a nursing home and my sister and I quite frankly will not let that happen. Even if it means we can't go and find our fortune like good little americans we will do what it takes to take care of our parents when the time comes.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:54 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,681,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
That's a tough question. On the one hand, I still feel the ethical and moral responsibility to take care of my parents, because that's the way I was raised, to take care of family, (I had no problem with taking care of my mother-in-law, and my grandmother). On the other hand, we haven't laid eyes on one another in 28 years, (I was 19, the last time I ever saw them), and since they made it emphatically clear, (about three years ago), that they did not wish to have any further contact with me, nor I with them, it would make it a bit difficult to look out after them. They would absolutely refuse any help from me, even if I did offer it.
I am in the same boat as you and have often wondered as time goes on how this will all work out for me and my estranged parent. Hard for some to understand how a child and parent can not have a relationship but it does happen.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,811 times
Although I had no intention of EVER putting my parents in a nursing home, we had to put my father in for the last 3 months of his life simply because we could not give him the medical care he needed. My mother went into the home in order to be with him. It was not what any of us wanted, but what we felt was for the best. After Dads death, mom came home and I check on her at least once a day and do all of her running.
That said, why aren't the Dr.'s taught in medical school that the elderly are often hard of hearing and it has NOTHING to do with their mental capabilities?
That said, I think doing something for maral and ethical reasons sounds more like you are doing it because you think you should and doing something out of love and respect sounds as though you are doing something because you want to. Hopefully if I ever get in that situation my kids will care for me out of love and respect.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I am in the same boat as you and have often wondered as time goes on how this will all work out for me and my estranged parent. Hard for some to understand how a child and parent can not have a relationship but it does happen.
It's a tough spot to be in, and I don't envy anyone who's dealing with the same type of situation. I really do wish things were different, (I do remember good times with my folks, as I was growing up), and it's not in my nature to continue hold things against people. But, unfortunately, they have chosen to take this position with me, and because they do not want contact with me, and I will not open myself up to any further insult, or hurt, (particularly where my family is concerned), by trying one more time, to get them to see reason, I seriously doubt that I will ever see them again, on this side of the grave. Whatever plans they have of taking care of themselves, as they grow older, (they are 65 and 67, now), they are on their own. That may sound cruel, harsh, and unfeeling to others who have a good relationship with their parents, (be glad that you do), but for some of us, it just isn't possible. As I said before, they would refuse my help, in any case.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:50 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,922,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharuadan View Post
...when the Dr.was very rude about her,assuming she wouldn't hear him or understand.I really would liked 2 punched the daylights out of him!,instead I went home &bawled my eyes out,I'm sure she did 2.Shame on that Dr.&any other person w/so little resp.4 someone just becuase they R up N their yrs,that doesn't change the fact that they R human 2,&deserve way better treatment than that!
Macha...I'm sure you have a lot of good things to say, but it's really not fun to try to read your posts when you use so many shortcuts.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM

63 posts, read 213,348 times
Chinese culture would enforce you to do so, the sons are compelled to take care of their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality