Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 PM

175 posts, read 424,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Then why doesn't this alleged God come and just tell us what is really going on? Why books, ministers, stories, parables?

People default to "all religions are really right" but they can't be, because they have differences.

Why would a God have to hide, and let people wander in the muck trying to find the truth?
Maybe God isn't hiding. Maybe we don't see God in its creation, or our inherent connection to it. I like how you think, and I like your questions. I interpret Mystic PhD as saying there is a difference in authenticity between men who disseminate information through a "membership fee" based organization versus those who share it from a place of selfless giving. I think the latter is far more difficult to come by in the commercial environment we live.

Maybe enough wandering in the muck leads people to ponder more deeply about the meaning of their life experience.

I've just learned from your post. Is God hiding in you?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:54 PM

309 posts, read 580,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by end_of_faith View Post
. So, I'm not really sure what you mean by how I twisted Ben's quote, when it's my thoughts that you have quoted.
My bad, I meant the way you took his quote from Jesus. Not the 'question you pondered" - I should have delineated the post better

Quote:
I wondered where you went.
Working. Releasing a new tool to manage the software licensing of open source products, also speaking engagements with agressive lawyers, also on the boards for a couple of nonprofits who had meetings and also involved in moving one of them to a new website technology (drupal). Oh and then there is just life and of course daily spiritual exercises : )

Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
People default to "all religions are really right" but they can't be, because they have differences.
I tend to think the truth is so big, that things that look contradictory are in fact not - when you shift to the proper/larger perspective. None of them are completely false, all have some truth.

Quote:
I interpret Mystic PhD as saying there is a difference in authenticity between men who disseminate information through a "membership fee" based organization versus those who share it from a place of selfless giving
Which I interpret as a false argument. This selfless teacher, is there such a being? If i give a wandering monk food, thats an exchange of resources, energy.

The minute the teaching starts adding structure, organization, and incurs costs - there is a need for exchange of resources, money, time, etc. Of an energy flow between teacher/organization and student/member

The whole argument seems based on an assumption that some forms of exchange are spiritually aligned and other forms of exchange are not spiritually aligned.

As example; that Tithing is spiritually aligned and monthly dues are not? Why? On what basis is that delineation made?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
There you go with the bigot thing again...

I attack MP and Gary because it is a sham...

just like many other so-called religions, Cos, Catholicism and countless other cults.

That is not being a bigot, that is a healthy questioning of money and power hungry abusers of the feeble minded.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 PM

Tithing is voluntary, not a prerequisite of participation.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 PM

175 posts, read 424,896 times
Allan, it wasn't the quote from Jesus that I was responding to. It was what followed: "if you're not hot, I'm glad you're cold." As if to imply that anyone who leaves MP is not "hot" for the truth. Which I'm saying is untrue. And that to apply that principle in that way is presumptuous and arrogant. Does that explain?

I also do not believe that Gary is a "Jesus" in flesh. His words, deeds, and motives have undoubtedly proven to me personally that he is a spiritual fraud. That is my experience. I understand that it is not yours. I get that.

sounds like you are a busy man. Good for you. It's been a real challenge for me to re-integrate into society since leaving MP. It's kinda like a time warp of over 25 years is missing from my life experience. But I'm finding my way. I'm signing off for the night. Take good care Allan.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by end_of_faith View Post
Allan, it wasn't the quote from Jesus that I was responding to. It was what followed: "if you're not hot, I'm glad you're cold." As if to imply that anyone who leaves MP is not "hot" for the truth. Which I'm saying is untrue. And that to apply that principle in that way is presumptuous and arrogant. Does that explain?
Sure. Though at risk of speaking for Ben, I'm certain he didn't mean that - it was just an example of extremes, versus being in the middle and not caring at all.
I know he, or any Cheals I know personally, would have taken the spin that if you aren't into MP that your into untruth, not caring, etc. I understood the point to be about respect for people with passion, conviction, then someone who is blasé, uncaring, middle of the road.

As the great sage Miyagi said -
Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later get squish just like grape

Quote:
I also do not believe that Gary is a "Jesus" in flesh. His words, deeds, and motives have undoubtedly proven to me personally that he is a spiritual fraud. That is my experience. I understand that it is not yours. I get that.
What I find interesting is the ideas and preconceptions about what a master should 'look' like. By looks I mean physically was well as behavior. Did Jesus have personality traits? Did he get angry, could he be gruff, did he drink, etc etc etc. We will never know of course, such information is not recorded, much and even what is is subject to a 2000 years of spin.

But we certainly all come with our projections and expectations of what a enlightened, god realized person should look, smell and sound like.

I personality expect human flaws and even 'imperfections' in my living gurus.

Quote:
a real challenge for me to re-integrate into society since leaving MP.
I see that as more of personal issue, perhaps due to the special type of place you had within MP, then I see it as an artifact of the MP teaching. As I've noted I personally am just not experiencing MP as moving out of life, quite the opposite, at least so far.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
There you go with the bigot thing again...

I attack MP and Gary because it is a sham...

just like many other so-called religions, Cos, Catholicism and countless other cults.

That is not being a bigot, that is a healthy questioning of money and power hungry abusers of the feeble minded.
Firstly making statements as if they were fact does not qualify as "questioning"

Stating ones beliefs is Not called questioning
- not anywhere in the world I am aware of.

I find that it feels like you are trying to sorta glorify your position as some intellectual and honest 'questioning'
when it is just blatant statements of personal opinion.

Not that I care if you are stating your beliefs, just reacting to what feels like mis characterization.

We have been through why your behavior is bigoted
though I understand why you cant accept it, it is none the leas still my opinion that your posts fit under any of these short definitions

bigoted -
Being a bigot; biased; strongly prejudiced; forming opinions without just cause

a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own

one who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; one who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion

intolerance toward those of different creeds or religious affiliations

bigoted - blindly and obstinately attached to some creed or opinion and intolerant toward others; "a bigoted person"; "an outrageously bigoted point of view

The facts that you have provide nothing of even minor substance to support your opinion, and that you easily attack and insult those who don't agree with you, just supports this further.

Its ok though, please continue to be the shallow, prejudiced, bigot who pushes your beliefs on others and insults those with different opinions - I'm sure your here for a reason. You at least remind me of what I don't want to be, thank you for that.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:50 PM

I have just cause, I know of Gary's hypocrisy!

I was reading about CoS and I see many parallels, I am surprised you do not see them... well, not really, you are the one that happily pays $400 a month for something you would be able to get for free, if you only had a brain.

Go ahead, continue to call me what you want, I have caused folks to question the scam of MP. The facts will be revealed in time.

BTW: I do not need the likes of you to remind me that I do not want to be a blind sheep following a made up religion perpetrated by a scam artist.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 PM

allan, why do you spend so much time replying to a 'bigot'?

Have I planted a seed of doubt in your mind?

Are you so insecure in your beliefs that you question my motivations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality