Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 06:04 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,024 times

Advertisements

An interesting article from an Indian newspaper discusses the potentially dangerous process of Muslim conversion to Christianity:

Muslims are converting to Christianity in the thousands in France but face exclusion from their families and even death threats.

Most Muslims hide their conversion and Protestant ministers do their utmost to protect new converts. It is estimated that every year in the world some six million Muslims convert to Christianity.
Comedian Siad Oujibou used to pray five times a day but found his questions about death and his desire for a God closer to him than Allah moved him to convert. He is now a Christian pastor. But he has faced many reprisals and humiliations from his family and was even under a sentence of death.
Many Muslims in France hide their conversion but the trend is continuing. World wide around six million Muslims a year convert to Christianity.

These numbers really surprised me when I read this article. Maybe there are more converted muslims then we had originally thought in Europe, but they may just remain quiet for the sake of their personal safety and family. http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?rep=2&aid=352375&sid=ZNS (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 06:17 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
I know a lot of non-practicing Muslims in Southern California. They are just like non-practicing Catholics and Christians.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:05 AM

184 posts, read 902,146 times
Even if these numbers are correct, my feeling is that there are still more (probably non-practising) christians convert to Islam each year. According to a recent (couple of months ago) TIME magazine article those who convert tend to be more fundamentalist than the general muslim population.

From personal experience, I have a very good friend who was born in Iran and was raised a Shi'ite muslim. He went to England to study, married an english lady, had 4 kids converted to Church of England. Later his wife left him and the kids and he became a devout Mormon (LDS). He stopped all contact with his parents in Iran years ago, because he fears the extended family would track him down and kill him and his children for becoming a Christian. He also has a brother who went to study in Austria and got baptized as a Catholic. They don't keep in touch with each other in case one gets found by angry cousins, brothers, uncles from back home. Tragic.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:51 AM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
An interesting article from an Indian newspaper discusses the potentially dangerous process of Muslim conversion to Christianity:

Muslims are converting to Christianity in the thousands in France but face exclusion from their families and even death threats.

Most Muslims hide their conversion and Protestant ministers do their utmost to protect new converts. It is estimated that every year in the world some six million Muslims convert to Christianity.
Comedian Siad Oujibou used to pray five times a day but found his questions about death and his desire for a God closer to him than Allah moved him to convert. He is now a Christian pastor. But he has faced many reprisals and humiliations from his family and was even under a sentence of death.
Many Muslims in France hide their conversion but the trend is continuing. World wide around six million Muslims a year convert to Christianity.

These numbers really surprised me when I read this article. Maybe there are more converted muslims then we had originally thought in Europe, but they may just remain quiet for the sake of their personal safety and family. http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?rep=2&aid=352375&sid=ZNS (broken link)
It doesn't add up. If Muslim converts to Christianity have to hide their conversion, how could they be counted?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
If the christians are the ones who are so intolerant, why is a muslim converting to christianity a dangerous thing? seems no one is at all criticizing islam for their belief in murdering others who do not believe as they do.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
ok, last post for the time being. i feel for anyone, in any religion or belief, that has been rejected by family and friends. i cannot imagine what it would be like to have a community turn against you for something like that, and especially in a violent, hateful way. that said, i know that it is not only islam that has a problem in this regard. i have seen it everywhere, even on this forum unfortunately, though i suppose people feel more justified hating in the virtual world. there isn't as much consequence and accountability in the virtual world; makes it easier to look at others as inferior and ignorant, instead of just different.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:08 PM

67 posts, read 199,064 times
Let’s get the facts straight.
(1) Torah (old testament) (MOSES)
very first commandment :have only but 1 God.

(2) Book of Psalms (Joseph I believe)
Says: Only 1 God and Muhammad is the last prophet.

(3) Gospel of St. Barnabas

(4) Quran

So ask yourself this, why and how can four people, living hundreds or maybe thousands of years apart, have four different book that state the same thing?

I researched this myself because I don’t want to be a Muslim and not know why.
I don’t want to be a Christian and not know why.
I don’t want to be a Jew and not know why.
Yes I was once a Jew.
The stuff you hear on the news about Jews and Muslims not getting along, its very unlikely that they don’t get along. Most of them get along just fine.
It’s the idiots that make things bad and kill innocent people (muslims, jews and Christians).
There are idiots of all races, colors and religions.

What we forgot is that we are ALL the children of Adam (the 1st prophet) and that we need to get along.

Peach on earth.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:33 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I completely agree with the OP. You may recall a year or two ago that a man in Afghanistan converted to Christianity and came very close to being executed if the American government hadn't applied alot of pressure and came to his defense. There are many muslims who believe that execution is justified for someone who's just being critical of their religion. This is not something that's unusual and just happens on rare occations, it's the mindset of millions of muslim hardliners in many parts of the world. There are tremendous problems in African nations because there are both muslim and Christian influences in most of the nations and people have been executed for becoming a Christian there as well.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:39 PM

67 posts, read 199,064 times
Yes MontanaGuy.
That poor guy was going to be killed for his believe.
Islam doesn't preach to kill anyone if they revert to any religion or kill anyone period.
Afghanistan is run by bad muslims that are not following the reiligion correctly.
Saudi Arabia has 20 MILLION christaians, they live and get along just fine with the muslims.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
I believe in freedom. Any religion that locks in people on pain of death is brutally barbaric. The Christians did this in the Middle Ages, commonly called the Dark Ages. Those Muslims who believe they have the right and obligation to torture and murder are just as barbaric and Mediaeval. That is true evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality