Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:02 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times

Advertisements

In today's age it seems that everywhere we turn someone is marketing God, whether through churches or stores.

Whether you are a believer or non-believer does this offend you? What things do you see in our society either today or in the past as marketing God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 12:10 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
I think that's a good question. While I think that whatever religion you are, of course you're going to want to "spread the word" and while I also think that there's nothing wrong with purchasing whatever interests you regarding that religion (whether it be bibles, crosses, pictures, whatever), I do think that society today will try to market anything. I think to a degree it does make a mockery out of God or whatever religion they're marketing. People believe because they have faith, people get to know their god maybe because they're brought to him through something or someone else. People have or gain faith from the simple fact that the Lord brought them out of illness or danger, people turn to faith and religion when they've hit rock bottom or when they have nothing else to believe in and they turn it over to the Lord. You name it, there's a million ways......but there's a line that people/media tend to cross which can be pathetic and offensive. What some people sell...sheesh (do some of them really even have faith in the Lord that they are marketing to people?). That's what I don't like, the fakes.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
To a degree there is, but it could be worse than it is One has to just see it for what it is.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:33 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Everyone is out to make a buck!! If they realized how much God would probably not like being in the category of marketing. Our belief in God has taken a wrong turn and once we put Him in the category of MONEY I believe we are making a mistake!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:00 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
Whether you are a believer or non-believer does this offend you?
I am a believer, and yes it offends me.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
In today's age it seems that everywhere we turn someone is marketing God, whether through churches or stores.

Whether you are a believer or non-believer does this offend you? What things do you see in our society either today or in the past as marketing God?
I'm still waiting for the King James iPod. An 80gb video ipod encased in leather. Either that, or the new "Heavenly Bites" cereal. Crunchy crosses chock full of choclatey goodness. Rosary bead candy? Maybe some sacramental wine coolers from Bacardi? Home theater pews from Raymour and Flannigan? Give it time. Where there's a buck, there's a *******.

-TT

Old 07-01-2007, 05:50 PM

I want to bring this thread back to life in the forum because we have a newer group and I didn't feel like I truly got any answers to my OP. Would anyone like to respond and share their thoughts about how society deals with this topic? Is it offensive to non-christians? Is it offensive to christians?

Old 07-01-2007, 06:15 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I think we mainly see this marketing of God from certain churches that are only in it for the money. This would be the tv preacher who pleads for money every week so he can keep his ministry on the air. I think many people realize that this is just the exploitation of religion but it's still a big business. It's clearly offensive to both Christians and non Christians and is often the subject of ridicule. It's really a shame because there's thousands of small community churches whose goals are legitimate and whose intentions are good and the people who attend these churches make up the great majority of Christians in America. Of course these small churches don't tend to attract much attention and I think this creates the opinion in many non believers that all Christians are being duped because they're not aware that many of these small churches are actively trying to help people. I mentioned on another thread that the tiny church that my sister attended for years in Montana is making donations to the school where my sister teaches today in Guadalajara, Mexico. They're never going to meet any of the people that they're helping but that's not important to them. Unfortunately, this will never make the news but stories about tv preachers who live in mansions and live like movie stars will become well known.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 PM

I really have to agree with you there MG. It is sad to see what some of the TV preachers have done and personally I do believe they will stand judgement for it.

What are you thoughts on the paraphenalia you see with erasers in the shape of a cross, bumper stickers, pencils, coins all that stuff that promotes Christianity. I'm not sure that it does a lot except drain pocketbooks. My kids love to get that kind of stuff and I've known some new Christians that flock to it. I know when I was a new believer about 20 years ago I think everything in my apartment was Jesusfied. I believe you can go overboard and personally IMO I think it takes away from the holiness of God. I think that all this "stuff" is just that, stuff. People seem more in tune with the stuff than with the relationship with Jesus.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:04 PM

267 posts, read 533,647 times
I suppose you could say it offends me in the same way starbucks does charging exorbitant amounts for their coffee...Hmmm...96c for this candle $3 dollars and up for one with a religious theme. 3 Rose pattern. 1 Man's perception of the virgin Mary. Yep, this'll be hard.

But, I think if people want to be foolish and buy such things for their insecurities or what not I shall not argue, and I suppose many must see it as a positive thing or the market would not continue to thrive.

However, the talking Jesus doll is a bit over the edge don't you think?

Talking Jesus, Mary and Moses dolls due to go on sale in May - Apr. 12, 2005
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality