Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Walk by faith....not by sight.
I'm only human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:06 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Well if god was real then she would know what evidence is required to convince me.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:23 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
For you personally, how would God have to show or prove to you his existance?
God always inform people about his existence through humans prophets with giving them miracles to be witness and signs of thier prophethood

for me personally , i'm a muslim believe in mohammed (pbuh) and his miracle is the quran , and i see this miracle personally by my own eyes and mind

Old 11-01-2008, 05:26 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
My thoughts are this:

I think that if there is an omnipotent deity that wants us to worship him that he would know how to interact with each individual person's unique mindset. I'm sorry, thousands of years old books written in cryptic format just don't settle it for me.

Not only that, but I also feel that the evidence to support not only a deity but a specific deity should be so well contrived and obvious that absolutely no one could deny it. There are so many things that just about anyone in the world can agree on. I would say that from anywhere in the world, just about everyone would agree the sun is hot, the sky is blue, and ice is cold. There is very little bickering over this because the evidence is so strong supporting these notions that you would have to be an absolute moron to disagree. Yet, the pages of history turn red with the amount of blood spilled simply over people disagreeing about whose God is the right one. That, in my opinion, is the very basis of why religion has such a problem - because so many people believe it but the evidence is lacking; hence the interjection of the word "faith." It's not based on evidence.

So, my stance is that if I'm to believe in such a thing as God there should be a means of empirically as well as scientifically testable evidence to support those ideas. That's how I want a God to interact with me. I want it very clear cut. That is, after all, the way he allegedly "made me".

I'm not going to go out of my way looking for images in toast, neat little events in my life that happen in a timely fashion or pondering over why my ailments were cured and call that "God". I'm not going to sit in my bed at night, read the Bible and pray that God reveal himself to me. Because even if I did feel something, how would I know which God it was? It seems to me like a trickery of the mind. I am a firm believer that you could find anything you were looking for if you put your mind to it. I could probably read The Hobbit and pray to the ghost of J.R.R. Tolkien to reveal himself to me and if I really wanted it to happen I could make an association of something in his books as well as my life as being "proof enough for me".

So, what evidence, act, or proof should a God provide? Proof so clear that not only would it extinguish all arguments about whether or not God exists but also extinguish any argument about which God exists. As far as what that is. I'll let him figure it out. That's apparently what he's so good at.

P.S. - Merely inserting something such as "DNA", "Computers", or "Nuclear Missiles" in one of his ancient texts would have been a good start. Would it have been so hard to divinely inspire one of the authors to just mention DNA for one quick second? That would have really been a good start.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
My thoughts are this:

I think that if there is an omnipotent deity that wants us to worship him that he would know how to interact with each individual person's unique mindset. I'm sorry, thousands of years old books written in cryptic format just don't settle it for me.

Not only that, but I also feel that the evidence to support not only a deity but a specific deity should be so well contrived and obvious that absolutely no one could deny it. There are so many things that just about anyone in the world can agree on. I would say that from anywhere in the world, just about everyone would agree the sun is hot, the sky is blue, and ice is cold. There is very little bickering over this because the evidence is so strong supporting these notions that you would have to be an absolute moron to disagree. Yet, the pages of history turn red with the amount of blood spilled simply over people disagreeing about whose God is the right one. That, in my opinion, is the very basis of why religion has such a problem - because so many people believe it but the evidence is lacking; hence the interjection of the word "faith." It's not based on evidence.

So, my stance is that if I'm to believe in such a thing as God there should be a means of empirically as well as scientifically testable evidence to support those ideas. That's how I want a God to interact with me. I want it very clear cut. That is, after all, the way he allegedly "made me".

I'm not going to go out of my way looking for images in toast, neat little events in my life that happen in a timely fashion or pondering over why my ailments were cured and call that "God". I'm not going to sit in my bed at night, read the Bible and pray that God reveal himself to me. Because even if I did feel something, how would I know which God it was? It seems to me like a trickery of the mind. I am a firm believer that you could find anything you were looking for if you put your mind to it. I could probably read The Hobbit and pray to the ghost of J.R.R. Tolkien to reveal himself to me and if I really wanted it to happen I could make an association of something in his books as well as my life as being "proof enough for me".

So, what evidence, act, or proof should a God provide? Proof so clear that not only would it extinguish all arguments about whether or not God exists but also extinguish any argument about which God exists. As far as what that is. I'll let him figure it out. That's apparently what he's so good at.

P.S. - Merely inserting something such as "DNA", "Computers", or "Nuclear Missiles" in one of his ancient texts would have been a good start. Would it have been so hard to divinely inspire one of the authors to just mention DNA for one quick second? That would have really been a good start.
Excellent Post.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
My thoughts are this:

What he said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality