Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:30 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittle View Post
YapCity, you spend a HUGE amount of time here at City Data Forum in religious threads debating the validity of Christianity (but of course, you feel it's invalid). So as I read it, YOU YOURSELF "shamelessly" use your precious minutes "bombarding" Christians with your atheistic drivel.

Seems like you bring it on yourself and keep it going.....and going.....and going....

And I'm sorry, but I don't buy that Christians are bombarding your life every time you turn around. I can't figure out how the fish sign is a bombardment in your life.

It's more of a moral obligation to keep people thinking. If I say nothing, I'm letting religious folks perpetuate the fictitious mind control that I am so much against. That's why I want it to have its own section. Out of site, out of mind. The other thing is, politically ignorant religious types in my opinion are the reason we've had to live with GWB through TWO terms. I want to see the two separated in discussion because one is not supposed to have anything to do with the other.

Unfortunately, as we've seen with the last 6 or 7 painful years that is not the case. Religion is what secured both terms for the talking chimp.

So if I see it, I'll speak to it. If you don't want someone telling you how wrong you are, don't put the topic out there for debate.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Well, you can't blame my people (Jews), since we don't believe in recruitment! Seriously though, where I live the door-to-door visitors are fairly uncommon... used to get a lot of Mormons in my old neighborhood, but here it's pretty rare. I can't say they "offend" me really, but it is annoying to be preached at without my permission. And I agree, people would probably be more upset about an Atheist doing that - especially if you happen to live in the "Bible-Belt", or other heavily religious area.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
it is annoying to be preached at without my permission. .
In our old neighborhood in Denver, Jehovah's Witnesses came at least once a month. They were very polite but still, it did get annoying having to drop everything, go answer the door and then be faced with someone who wanted to talk about Jesus. I wasn't about to put a no solicitor sign on the door, don't really care for that. Sometimes if I had seen them walking our block, I knew ahead of time that they were coming and just didn't answer the door.

There was also someone, never did figure out who it was, who regularly left Lighthouse tracts and homemade Jesus signs all over the neighborhood. This person went to some trouble: some of the signs were staple-gunned very high on telephone poles. People would complain and the city would eventually take them down.
The fire-and-brimstone tracts would often show up on our block on Saturday mornings. To me they were nothing more than litter--I would tear them off and throw them away.
Never saw the person, though--he or she was very stealthy. Now that I am no longer in Denver, I wonder if this person misses our little game or appreciates no longer being thwarted.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:26 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
How does an atheist get "moral obligations"? There needs to be a frame of reference for one's beliefs, and in this nation it just is Judeo-Christian. Can't get around it. I am not particularly religious, but do believe in a Deity (even though I really think He/She/It has left us to our own devices). Yap should probably just give it up, give in, get used to it, probably isn't going to go away any time soon.

Where do you get those fish symbols anyway? I see them alot here on the back of autos.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
How does an atheist get "moral obligations"?
That's one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read on this forum. Are you saying that agnostics, atheists, and antitheists have no morals? Are you trying to say that morals can only be had when one believes in a fictitious being?

Whewwwwwwwwww

Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 AM

No, just posing the question "how". No need to get overly incensed....

Old 02-24-2007, 08:40 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Yap -- while I agree that there are lot of presumptuous condescending religious people in this world, some who even make absurd statements about those who do not believe in a deity being unable to have moral bearings (really folks, that is an absurd statement if I ever read one). However, there are also a quite a few presumptuous condescending agnostics and atheists who seem to like to bait and mock those whose understanding of their faith is say, a bit simpler than is deemed acceptable. And I will leave it at that.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
No, just posing the question "how". No need to get overly incensed....
It's a sense of right and wrong. Everyone has it. Some mask it as "religious beliefs", others know certain things to be right, and other things to be wrong.

When confronted with a situation they do not know the answer to, an atheist is more inclined to review all the facts involved and make a decision. Whereas someone who follows a particular religion may seek guidance through "prayer" or through a religious leader in their community.

As with anyone, the atheist will not always make the right decision. There are plenty of "Christians" that do the same thing. After all, the KKK believes they are doing "god's work". Personally, I prefer the method of the atheist. Weigh the facts, make a decision based on your other beliefs.

It's very hard to explain, and it's certainly not something I can do justice for in a single post. However, I will ask you one question.

Of the violent crimes committed in the United States, how many are committed by Christians? How many are committed by atheists?

I have no idea where to get data I can trust, but it IS something to think about. You rarely find an atheist committing a violent crime.

-TT

Old 02-24-2007, 09:10 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
It's a sense of right and wrong. Everyone has it. Some mask it as "religious beliefs", others know certain things to be right, and other things to be wrong.

When confronted with a situation they do not know the answer to, an atheist is more inclined to review all the facts involved and make a decision. Whereas someone who follows a particular religion may seek guidance through "prayer" or through a religious leader in their community.

As with anyone, the atheist will not always make the right decision. There are plenty of "Christians" that do the same thing. After all, the KKK believes they are doing "god's work". Personally, I prefer the method of the atheist. Weigh the facts, make a decision based on your other beliefs.

It's very hard to explain, and it's certainly not something I can do justice for in a single post. However, I will ask you one question.

Of the violent crimes committed in the United States, how many are committed by Christians? How many are committed by atheists?

I have no idea where to get data I can trust, but it IS something to think about. You rarely find an atheist committing a violent crime.

-TT
I'll take that a step further and say that atheists and agnostics are MORE morally evolved than many Christians.

Atheists don't need a religion, a Bible, or a promise of a paradise for an afterlife in order to treat people the right way. I've always wondered growing up Catholic if people were being nice to me because they were just genuinely nice, or if it was because they wanted to "get something"- Heaven- for it.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:12 AM

A "sense"?? Vague.... You mean like a "sixth sense"? Are you a woo woo believer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality