Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:46 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
A "sense"?? Vague.... You mean like a "sixth sense"? Are you a woo woo believer!
A "sense" meaning if you treat people as YOU want to be treated, you'll generally be doing the right thing.

For instance, humans have an inborn survival instinct. Based on this we know that losing our life is the worst thing that can happen to use. So, this in my opinion is what prevents an atheist from killing.

Stealing. Would you like something stolen from you? Of course not, so why do it to others?

"Coveting thy neighbor's wife"....would you want that to happen to you?

That's what is comes down to at the basic level. Treat people as you would want to be treated.

Now, here's a hot topic on here that's a perfect example of why atheists are more evolved than some Christians.

Gays. Science has proven that most gays are born that way. Therefor they do not have a choice in who they are attracted to. So, I have to assume *I* was born that way, and ask myself how I would want to be treated. Of course, I would not want to be shunned, ridiculed, or persecuted. So why would I do it to someone based on their inborn behavior because it is different than mine?

You can even carry that over to race relations. I for one am against all forms of racism, positive and negative. Why? I know as a white person I feel slighted when I see advantages given to others based on their race. I also know that if I were born black, the last thing I would want is to be excluded from opportunities because of my skin color. This is what makes me against racism, not something I have learned from a so-called "leader". Nobody had to tell me it was wrong, I decided it for myself.

Sexism. Yes, there are some differences between men and women, but mostly physical. Sure there are some attitudes that prevail for the respective gender, but ultimately I afford the same objectivity to either gender. I respect women not because they're women, but because they're people. They were just born with different equipment, THANKFULLY
If I were a woman, would I want to be told I was worth less at the same job as a man? Sure it makes sense on a loading dock, MOST of the time, but in a white collar job? Gimme a break. Even in a heavy lifting position I know plenty of women that could literally pick up and toss some other men I know. So again, I would have to look at the individual before making a salary determination.

I could type all day putting my beliefs out there and the motivation behind them, but it still all boils down to one thing.

Treat people as you yourself want to be treated. I need no supreme being, no book, and no theologian to tell me that.

-TT

Last edited by YapCity; 02-24-2007 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 09:50 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Oh, yeah, the Golden Rule, what an original thought...

Old 02-24-2007, 09:56 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
How does an atheist get "moral obligations"? There needs to be a frame of reference for one's beliefs, and in this nation it just is Judeo-Christian. Can't get around it. I am not particularly religious, but do believe in a Deity (even though I really think He/She/It has left us to our own devices). Yap should probably just give it up, give in, get used to it, probably isn't going to go away any time soon.
I wonder if people would say that if Muslims began recruiting at your doorsteps.......

Old 02-24-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
The "Golden Rule", or ethic or reciprocity, is nothing more than a basic human instinct that a theologian decided to put a label on. It was always there, they just copyrighted it first

Unfortunately, I find more and more Christians disregard it. Many on this very board.

So yeah, that is basically the moral compass of most athiests. As I said though, when a more complicated situation presents itself, we weigh the facts. If not enough facts are present, we seek out more facts, and then make a decision. This is what really separates us from religious folks. We'll never say something like "the bible says". We'll check the facts on the subject. We need the truth, not the opinion.

-TT

Last edited by YapCity; 02-24-2007 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-24-2007, 10:42 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Who is "we"? Is there some kind of Atheist Club tenets you are citing?

Old 02-24-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Who is "we"? Is there some kind of Atheist Club tenets you are citing?
I think you know what I mean when I say "we". I of course can't speak for everyone, but most atheists will agree with the basic principles I have mentioned.

Of course, I see the word "we" used a lot when someone is discussing Christian beliefs. I always think "is that we as in the good people of Mayberry, or we as in those wearing the sheets over their heads?". The label "Christian" covers a broad spectrum.

That's another thing. How many atheist hate groups do you know of?
I'm not trying to sell you on atheism, but I am defending it.

-TT

Old 02-24-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
btw, I took the liberty of researching the documented origin of "The Golden Rule" just now. This is what I came up with. It has some great info and some great links to even more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity

....that's just the atheist in me. Always researching

-TT

Old 02-24-2007, 11:01 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Oh, and people who aren't atheists don't research? That is the sort of presumption and condescension I mean there. It goes both ways.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oh, and people who aren't atheists don't research? That is the sort of presumption and condescension I mean there. It goes both ways.
It's not so much that you don't research, it's what you conclude as being "fact". I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm just saying that we don't value "opinion" as much as religious folks do. We tend to gravitate toward pure facts. The bible, much to the dismay of Christians, is a book of opinions. While we tend to give it some historical value, and consider it when looking at social issues, we realize that 99% of it is the opinion of those who contributed to authoring it.

-TT

Old 02-24-2007, 11:12 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Gays. Science has proven that most gays are born that way. Therefor they do not have a choice in who they are attracted to. So, I have to assume *I* was born that way, and ask myself how I would want to be treated. Of course, I would not want to be shunned, ridiculed, or persecuted. So why would I do it to someone based on their inborn behavior because it is different than mine?

-TT
Would you share your resources? I would be very interested to know what authors, books, websites and other resources you've used to gain this information. This is a genuine request, not want to get beneath your skin...which I can be good at from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality