Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 AM
sun sun started this thread

683 posts, read 2,125,183 times

Advertisements

Does anyone really need to believe in God or Christ anymore, especially since our Gov't. reads like the new & modern secular form of a church with nearly the same laws as the 10 commandments that are found in the Bible. So all of the people who chose not to be religious or recognize God or Jesus Christ, should be able to rest assured that by being good Americans, they are being just about as faithful to God as many of the believers in God are.
Do you agree that this is true or do you think it's false?
What's the real difference between a church of God and the government of the United States of America, except one is actually doing the punishing? One doesn't really need to believe in anything, not even the part about "one nation under God", or "in God we trust". Just pretty much follow the same laws as are found in the Bible. Except that there isn't any invisible God looking over your shoulder, right?

X Commandments:

1. "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

There shall be no soverereign power besides the lawful forms of government of the United States of America, and you shall obey the government or you and your children will be punished. Remember, the gov't. ended slavery & gives everyone their freedoms, including their right to vote and to own property. The gov't. can take it all away at anytime if it really wants to by simply declaring martial law.

2. "You shall not make for yourself an idol."

Do not work as a spy or agent for a foreign government, or break your oath as a citizen of these United States of America.
Do not conspire to attack the lawful government by violent means. Acts of treason are punishable by death.

3. "You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not acquit anyone who misuses his name."

Do not cause any type of public disturbance because it is the crime of Breech of the Peace, a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine and jail time.
Do not advocate or speak out about using force to bring down the lawful government.

4. "Observe the sabbath day and keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; you shall not do any work—you, or your son or your daughter, or your male or female slave, or your ox or your donkey, or any of your livestock, or the resident alien in your towns, so that your male and female slave may rest as well as you. Remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the sabbath day."

Don't try to sell booze after hours, or grow tobacco without a permit, or try to escape paying your taxes, because the IRS and the ATF will punish you, and take all of your belongings and auction them off and send you to jail.
And you shall only have to work 8 hours a day or you will receive overtime pay at the rate of time and a half.

5. "Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God commanded you, so that your days may be long and that it may go well with you in the land that the LORD your God is giving you."

Don't beat up your mother or your father, or any other elderly people because there are special elderly assault laws that will put you in jail for a long time. And the prohibition also goes for domestic assault against a spouse or significant other, child abuse against a child, or you will be subject to immediate arrest and serious jail time.

6. "You shall not kill or murder"

Get convicted of a capital felony and you will be placed on death row.

7. "Neither shall you commit adultery."

Stay away from illegal prostitutes or you will be arrested for being a john and you will have your car confiscated, and illegal prostitutes shall have many diseases, and shall pay many fines and shall go to prisons to deliver their drug addicted babies.

8. "Neither shall you steal."

The more you steal, the longer that you will go to jail. Three felony strikes and you shall go to jail for life.

9. "Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbor."

If you lie under oath, you shall be convicted of purjury and shall do some serious time in the bighouse.

10. "Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife."

You can only marry one person at a time or you will be convicted of bigamy, and will automatically do some serious time in the bighouse.

Last edited by sun; 09-14-2007 at 03:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 05:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
You know, not so long ago I asked myself if there is a difference between being a religious American and being an American patriot.
Since I'm not an American myself and never have been in the States, I cannot answer this question myself and asked another poster who I believe is American.
I fear that the polarisation of the 'rich' Western Christian and the 'poor' Middle-Eastern Muslim is increasing day by day.

I also do not believe in ‘the rapture’(?) but I find it plausible that if you do believe in it, you would not fear a global nuclear war as much as a non-believer. The thought that there are (powerful) people who are not afraid of mutual destruction just because they believe truly scares me.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,950 times
Let me tell you all something. I use to think the same way, I change my ways of thinking because I've ask myself some questions, and I would want you all to ask yourself the same question also.

Do I know everything?
What if what they are talking about is one of the thing I don't know about?
what if there is a heaven?
What do i have to loose if I become a christian just to find out ?
Do we just create ourseves how do we get here?

History tells us about a man name Jesus and we all know it's true.

One more thing, tell me one book beside the BIBLE that you've read when you were younger that you still read because it's still interesting?

If anyone really want to know more I will help you to understand, just email me [email]jeanswilliam2008@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM

970 posts, read 1,700,204 times
This post reminds me of something...

Old 01-06-2009, 02:26 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Government of God's Laws?

The places you want are Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Enjoy!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
OP -some thoughts:
(a) in general, most mainstream religion profess "moral" values - none I know say it is ok to kill someone, bear false witness, etc etc. So, these values are fairly general - nothing extraordinary, really till one markets them as "commandments". I believe that good christian values (not the ones expoused by extremes) are also good values in any religion, and for atheists. Note we are limiting ourselves to the x commandments type of "major" items. Yet, most nations do not accept being governed by these laws, and for many good reasons.
(b) you mentioned the "real" difference between god and state is the later does punish. This is a biggie. I do not want a criminal, about to go to jail, suddenly starting to "believe in the constitution" (equivalent to accepting a god at deathbed) and be let off scott-free. Constitution seems toprovide a much fairer route.
(c) plus, if we are driven by a certain faith, the extreme elements in that faith will eventually want to either convert or kill (if history is any guide) the heathens. There is enough hatred even within the subdivisions of the same religion.
(d) foreign policy made under the guidance of talking to christ is quite different from that made by talking to allah. Who is right? Secular laws solve this problem.
Thank goodness we do not have god's laws governing the country. Else, we would have a bunch of priests on the bench and the pope (?) running the country. And yes, even without the outdated god-laws, one does not need to believe "in god we trust" or "one nation under god" - I dont (believe in the god part) and I have never been arrested for it.

I will take a secular constitution over laws of any holy book - anyday!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
This post reminds me of something...
It reminded me that I have other things to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality