Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:50 PM

38 posts, read 78,770 times

Advertisements

Science suggests they are essentially born that way, or are damaged either by physical or psychological trauma to the point they are incapable of empathy and deep emotional states.

Should we hate them for the things they do? Or should we feel immense sorrow for them because they have a horrible disability, the inability to feel love? does whether we hate them or feel bad for them depend on how far they go in their negative behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Not all people with sociopathic character traits turn out to be serial killers or murderers. However, most (if not all) serial killers do tend to be sociopathic or psychopathic in nature. I think one of the key characteristics of the two conditions is their inability to feel empathy, shame or remorse for things that they do wrong in respect to what a certain society's moral and ethical code is. That, to me, is sad and I do feel sorry for them in that regard.

I think there is a lot of evidence to suggest that sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies are typically a combination of nature and nurture. In fact, I would imagine that simply being born with certain traits that sociopaths hold would not necessarily make someone a sociopath. I believe there has to be a reinforcement of those traits from those who are expected to nurture the individual. It is that breakdown and continual reinforcement of the sociopathic traits that probably leads to the "full" sociopathic schematic.

I do feel sorry for those who become serial killers as a vast majority of them were berated and mentally destroyed as children - often by their mothers. It's not hard to see how a mother who abuses a child with sociopathic traits to a severe degree could plant the seed of tremendous hatred for women. I don't feel sorry for the individual after they've committed the crime, though. I don't feel they are productive parts of society and should be locked away.

However, I do feel sorry for the lost childhood, the disruption of positive things that could have been, and what it ultimately led the person to do. But, when I see a serial killer on TV I don't sit there and say "Oh, I feel so bad for him for killing those thirty-six people and burying their bodies in his basement."

Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

the "full" sociopathic schematic.
In June's opinion, it is the compulsion and inner drive that sociopaths feel towards committing the crimes they do that would constitute that the schematic.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
When it comes to sociopaths my 1st concern is not whether I should feel sorry for them or should hate them, but whether they remain a threat to society.
If it is proven that a sociopath is a menace (is a serial killer or serial rapist) and unable to change or control his sociopath tendencies then he should simply be put to death.
Exactly like we exterminate rabid dogs.
This doesn't mean that I hate dogs; I just acknowledge the fact that rabid dogs pose a menace to society.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:10 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,781 times
I don't feel sorry for them and I don't hate them. I am wary of them and I don't trust them. I see them as a dangerous snake, something I need to be cautious of and avoid involvement with if possible.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Not all people with sociopathic character traits turn out to be serial killers or murderers. However, most (if not all) serial killers do tend to be sociopathic or psychopathic in nature.
That is not entirely accurate. Many serial killers are not sociopaths per se. Instead, they are driven by an extreme version of something like OCD. The only way for them to relieve the "strain", if you will, is by killing. This type of serial killer feels terrible remorse after the fact, and is often quite relieved to be captured. In my early career I worked in a mental hospital, and worked with a serial killer of this type. He was, indeed, rather pitiable in many respects.

Quote:
I think one of the key characteristics of [sociopaths/psychopaths] is their inability to feel empathy, shame or remorse...
Another fairly common sociopathic trait (which I'm oversimplifying here) is the inability or unwillingness to significantly delay the gratification of their needs/impulses, etc. This causes them to be rather impulsive and, when it leads to criminal behavior, this frequently leads to an early apprehension.

=============================================

Now as to the original question, Should we feel sorry for sociopaths, or hate them?. This is phrased as a binary, EITHER-OR question. Since the real-life choices we face are very rarely binary, my answer has to be "Neither, and both."

Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Should a "Christian" HATE anyone? Isn't that a non-Christian emotion?

If you believe in the power of prayer, should you pray for the sociopath to be healed?

If you think that everything is part of God's plan, what is He planning for the sociopath?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Sociopaths require neither your pity or approbation.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:46 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
I know of no person or group that I hate. From what I have read, psychology has dropped the term in favor if I remember correctly, a combination of narcissistic personality disorder combined with asocial personality disorder. To me, they are people without a soul and without a conscious which is what makes them dangerous. Many say they cannot change but I do not believe this since I believe that through God, all things are possible. I do think though that they would probably resist accepting "faith" in general because of the narcissistic view that they are basically their own God, #1. I have read on this extensively and have a lot of opinions which would be nothing other than controversial especially where it comes to religion crossing paths with mental health issues. In a nutshell, "Mental health without God? Good luck with that."

Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,018,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Should a "Christian" HATE anyone? Isn't that a non-Christian emotion?

If you believe in the power of prayer, should you pray for the sociopath to be healed?

If you think that everything is part of God's plan, what is He planning for the sociopath?
Hatred is a human emotion. Christians aren't exempt from it and it isn't exclusive to nonchristians. Just look at the views that many christians hold toward homosexuals, nonbelievers and anything else that disagrees with their point of view.

To the OP,

I don't think we should feel hatred or sorrow for sociopaths. I'd be careful of them though. A sociopath/psycopath is someone whom was born and will be someone without a conscience or empathy.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 02-12-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality