Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:07 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,642 times

Advertisements

I dont believe in God in the sense the majority of relgiions do. It's not a divine being with human traits. I tend to think of it more as the God force, which is that which connects everything and nothing together, from the most minute atom to the Universes and beyond. It is the understanding that despite our feeling of self, in some way we are all connected to each other and everything, and thus anything we do effects others whether we mean for it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 01:13 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,263 times
Is the God-force any different than the life-force; same question procedes: is intelligence with the understanding of life on Earth with no privilege to the Homo-sapiens?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM

414 posts, read 776,889 times
Exclamation this is too interesting to let it disappear ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Is the God-force any different than the life-force; same question procedes: is intelligence with the understanding of life on Earth with no privilege to the Homo-sapiens?

... behind more or less "learned" wording.

I understand Rhaven as seeking to relate a personal experience while tgnostic has already "translated" this to appeal to the intellect ...

In any case, imho we all need to get a chance to realize our perceptions potential and can choose our preferences freely instead of being fed to capacity with mental mass production much like fast food on the physical level.

Most of us never had a chance to find some adequate expression of self, what can one, therefore, expect for "communication"?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM

I dont believe there is some force out there who gives more privelage to, or more protection to homosapiens above everything else. That is more of a fear based reaction with many religions trying to figure out why humans are here, and trying to either give us more leeway in our choices regarding how we take care of the earth by deciding everything else is less "Godlike": hence God creating us in his image being a central role in many religions. I do not see this force as having a personality, or other human characteristics.

I'll be honest Im not overly familiar with exactly what the Life force is. It may or may not be similiar to what I call the God force. If someone could link or explain I would love to read it

Old 01-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I understand Rhaven as seeking to relate a personal experience

Old 01-01-2009, 01:44 PM

I like that response.

I guess I was confused as to how you were seeing me relate a personal experience. The only thing I can come up with is that I am not using pre acknowledged terminology for something that may already be known, wheras tgnostic may have used the terminology. If that's incorrect than I'm at a loss. I really have no personal experience Im seeking to relate, except to answering the question posted in OP on how I view what/who "God" is if anything

Old 01-01-2009, 02:31 PM

414 posts, read 776,889 times
Arrow "pre-acknowledged terminology"

... sure, but the onus of justifying my understanding further than what you would have admitted to have been your intentions ....... would have been on me.
And poor tgnostic had intended to lead us to Nietzsche ...

Old 01-01-2009, 03:03 PM

970 posts, read 1,699,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven
I'll be honest Im not overly familiar with exactly what the Life force is. It may or may not be similiar to what I call the God force. If someone could link or explain I would love to read it
Maybe I can help... From Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion*:
Quote:
Let's remind ourselves of the terminology. A theist believes in a supernatural intelligence who, in addition to his main work of creating the universe in the first place, is still around to oversee and influence the subsequent fate of his initial creation. In many theistic belief systems, the deity is intimately involved in human affairs. He answers prayers; forgives or punishes sins; intervenes in the world by performing miracles; frets about good and bad deeds, and knows when we do them (or even think of doing them).
A deist, too, believes in a supernatural intelligence, but one whose activities were confined to setting up the laws that govern the universe in the first place. The deist God never intervenes thereafter, and certainly has no specific interest in human affairs.
Pantheists don't believe in a supernatural God at all, but use the world God as a non-supernatural synonym for Nature, or for the Universe, or for the lawfulness that governs its workings.
Deists differ from theists in that their God does not answer prayers, is not interested in sins or confession, does not read our thoughts and does not intervene with capricious miracles. Deists differ from pantheists in that the deist God is some kind of cosmic intelligence, rather than the pantheist's metaphoric or poetic synonym for the laws of the universe. Pantheism is sexed-up atheism. Deism is watered-down theism.
...or you could of course be "your own thing" that does not fit those labels or any.
You may or may not find similarities between your beliefs and those of MysticPhD, too.

* which I received this Christmas - some family member heard that I was debating religion on the internet and thought it would be useful to me

Old 01-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks Roxolan! I think after reading those definitions I would probably define myself as between a pantheist and deist, residing closer to pantheism, but still keeping an open mind to the possibility there may be more out there than we can understand, if that makes sense. For what its worth, in my mind, it's really a moot point as to whether the force has some sort of inteligence or not. If it did it would have an inteligence far beyond our own, still no where able to be compared to and given human characteristics, and having no personal influence or stake in the market so to speak, on what we do. It just is, and we are a part of it, whatever it may be, and it connects us to everything and nothing. Kind of like the in between if that makes any sense.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Why does the same poster keep asking questions like this in the atheist/agnostic forum?
Troll comes to mind. He/she keeps making anti-atheist comments and gets perilously close to proselyting in some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality