Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,616 times

Advertisements

If you guys have an open mind..why not look deeper in the Islamic Quran? You can find lots of scientific bits that only now scientists are beginning to understand. And there is No scientific contradicton at all to be found in the Quran. In fact, it has even helped shed light in the field of embroyology amongst others. You will be amazed as long as you leave your pre-conceived notions about Islam at the doorstep first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
If you guys have an open mind..why not look deeper in the Islamic Quran? You can find lots of scientific bits that only now scientists are beginning to understand. And there is No scientific contradicton at all to be found in the Quran. In fact, it has even helped shed light in the field of embroyology amongst others. You will be amazed as long as you leave your pre-conceived notions about Islam at the doorstep first.
There are no scientific facts in the Qur'an, just like there have never been any fulfilled biblical prophecies. The language is vague and obscure. Muslims are just making a personal interpretation of what the text is saying.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I agree with LogicIsYourFriend on this one. I don't think the two facts are necessarily interrelated and it's probably just a coincidence that someone is trying to link together.

I don't know that your point of view is correct in this case. I think that the Fundamentalist Movement (look it up) did indeed seize upon the idea of Evolution, about which the vast majority of those who were in contact with the Movement would not have the education to understand, as a point against which to react and thus mobilize new followers, as an example of the direction in which "amoral science" would lead the society. That reaction, I believe, was an implied admission by the Movement's leaders of the great and ever growing power of the scientific and technological movements over previously Christianized Western civilizations of North America and Europe.

The historical Scientific Movement has not yet produced a correspondingly powerful Moral Rationalist political movement, though small and relatively short-lived organizations of that sort have come and gone during the last 300 years.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Default differentiation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
It is not what I called the religious ( “Stubborn Ignorance of Religion”) is a quote from the John Draper’s and Andrew White’s book. I do see in history how religion placed restrictions on science, and how many who researched were put to death, imprisoned, tortured, or burned for stating what we acknowledge as basic knowledge today. To think religion helped science is a joke. I personally view organized religion as a mill stone around the neck of science and have so for most of my adult life. Science is one reason I am among the non-religious today, and keeping religion out of science and research is one reason I am so outspoken on the non-religious movement.

Sorry to answer you a bit late.
I did not mean to interfere with your total rejection of religion. Only wanted to reflect on human behavior long before "science" as we know it today was established clearly showing a masculine predominance.
Maybe good for a separate thread sometime soon.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 AM

520 posts, read 896,026 times
A couple people here have brought up the very valid point that correlation does not necessarily imply causiation. Just like the lack of todays pirates and global temeratures.

But I think that as science does away with more and more of religions myths there are obviosouly going to be people that still believe. I think that it will become more difficult for indiviuals to to believe such things, unless they devote themselves to it completely. There are people in this world that absolutly need their faith, and when their faith is challanged what else can they do than adhere to it even stronger?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Post may i still add a little wisdom to that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
A couple people here have brought up the very valid point that correlation does not necessarily imply causiation. Just like the lack of todays pirates and global temeratures.

But I think that as science does away with more and more of religions myths there are obviosouly going to be people that still believe. I think that it will become more difficult for indiviuals to to believe such things, unless they devote themselves to it completely. There are people in this world that absolutly need their faith, and when their faith is challanged what else can they do than adhere to it even stronger?

Myths may be a dead end road. Mysticism or esoteric insights are not. On the contrary, they are an expression of the highest possible intelligence.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:24 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
I was browsing wikipedia, wasting time, when I saw this.

My question is do you think as science advances, evoloution, physics, biology, etc, that it will cause more people to become religious? Or perhaps cause the already religious to become more devout?
i read a while back that within the next few decades we will be able to create a real "matrix" that we can live/play in, with virtual people that dont know they arent alive

when we do, this will raise may questions, i think, for the religious. if we can create virtual life that doesnt know it isnt real, how do we know we are?

what happens when we create life? are we now god?

In the not to far future, if you want to see god, just look in a mirror.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 AM

520 posts, read 896,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
Myths may be a dead end road. Mysticism or esoteric insights are not. On the contrary, they are an expression of the highest possible intelligence.
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning, care to elaborate?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 AM

Arrow sans peur?

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning, care to elaborate?
non sum qualis eram - in a real dialogue that would be easy and most likely real fun (i mean joyful!).

Last edited by effie g-tad; 01-15-2009 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: think u know the grammatical implications

Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Any logical thinking person who truly understands science will become an atheist. Science has kicked god out of every gap(except for how the universe began) that he/she/it has been hiding in for the past thousands of years. When science finds the natural explanation for how the universe, then no one will consider hiding behind the veil of faith.
accept for me...it is the 'veil of faith' that makes me whole. and i like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality