Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I think it's all just about political corectness and I agree with the statement that you if you don't want to attend a racially diverse church you might be looked at as racist or something wrong. People are people, black or white or whatever it doesn't matter. It is just a fact that in history there has been a lot of segregation and people tend to stick with things they're comfortable with. The church I attend is about 97% white and that is true in a lot of areas in the states. Go to the south or Africa or South America and you'll find a totally different story is the same church. I gotta wonder what is really behind these churches wanting to be seen as racially diverse.
I agree. You can't force diversity on people. I think it is best to make your church welcoming to all and let people make their own choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 03:59 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
there is a major push on the part of evangelical, fundamental and mainline churches to reach out across racial lines where the church has failed in the past and have been a part of the racial divide. This is addressed in liberal christian(oxymoron) mags like Sojourner and Conservative Christian mags like Christianity Today.
So you can't be a liberal Christian??? Mmmmkay... funny, since most liberal Christians I know are more "pious" and moral than many Republicans. Generalizations are not cool, and certainly not what I'd think of as "Christ-like", even from my Jewish perspective. But you seem to like making them, which makes me wonder how good of a Christian you are!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So you can't be a liberal Christian??? Mmmmkay... funny, since most liberal Christians I know are more "pious" and moral than many Republicans. Generalizations are not cool, and certainly not what I'd think of as "Christ-like", even from my Jewish perspective. But you seem to like making them, which makes me wonder how good of a Christian you are!
You know this kind of comment is just ugly and uncalled for.

This is a forum where people can post their opinions. His opinion is that the term liberal Christian is an oxymoron. Is everyones opinion that is not like yours subject to an attack? As well as your judgement to whether they are a "Good Christian".

And since you are Jewish I am assuming you do not read the New Testament which is the part of the bible that teaches one how to be a Christian.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:02 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times
Wow - This thread is a real eye-opener.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:03 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
I am in complete agreement with Spunky. Giz, that was a very rude and uncalled for post. Have you read any of the magazines he was even talking about? Do you know why he called them liberal? If you don't know the answer then think before you post.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Ok, what is your description of "liberal"? I've heard preachers, teachers, and people who probably never even looked at a dictionary use the word as if it was equal to demon-possessed or worse. Some of us just don't happen to be 180 degrees to the right. I personally am rather moderate in my political beliefs. There are people I know who would say I couldn't possibly be a Christian because of my political stance. Yet I have heard and seen people on the far right shout out as much hate as anyone on the far left.

So my question is: why is being a liberal Christian an oxymoron? And what does liberal mean to you?

Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I keep reading in various threads about racially integrated churches. It seems that it's very important for many people to either be a part of one, or make sure others know they are in a church that is racially integrated.

Worship styles can be vastly different between cultures. How people hear and receive information (the Word) is also different even within the same race. So why are churches today pushing so hard to show they are integrating and it's importance?

I'm sorry that I was off topic in my previous post. In reference to your original, perhaps these churches recognize there are a lot of people who are "unchurched" in the community and they simply want to reach out. I would be concerned if a church was not welcoming to a racially diverse congregation (and I've attended some of those, too). Perhaps those Christian publications are "pushing" the defiantly segregated churches to accept the fact that racism is not of God.

If there is an underlying reason for their push, then I don't think it will work very well. People know whether they're welcome and whether the worship/praise services are what they are looking for in a church. And I don't believe God will bless leaders who have ulterior motives.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
well it is working very well, lots of evangelical churches(the mega churches are doing the best job in the country) are multiracial and opened to all people of racial backgrounds, finally.

liberal christian i dont think are equal to Republicans as one is a religious designation and the other is a political party.

liberal christian for the most part are an oxymoron due to the fact that they deny the power of Jesus Christ, that his word is not inerrant, that his word is subject the the whims of man, that his words are not real but just for social justice reasons.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:36 PM

355 posts, read 842,592 times
lib·er·al /ˈlɪbərəl, ˈlɪbrəl/ dictionary.com

–adjective
1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
2. (often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.
6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
8. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.
10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.
11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.
12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.
13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.
–noun
14. a person of liberal principles or views, esp. in politics or religion.
15. (often initial capital letter) a member of a liberal party in politics, esp. of the Liberal party in Great Britain.

I consider myself a liberal Christian, in that I live in the 21st century, believe in and support civil liberties, believe in and support a democratic government, am accepting of women and minorities, support and participate in the arts, all while believing in Jesus & God and respecting the points of view and beliefs of others.

I must be an oxymoron .

Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
You know this kind of comment is just ugly and uncalled for.

This is a forum where people can post their opinions. His opinion is that the term liberal Christian is an oxymoron. Is everyones opinion that is not like yours subject to an attack? As well as your judgement to whether they are a "Good Christian".

And since you are Jewish I am assuming you do not read the New Testament which is the part of the bible that teaches one how to be a Christian.
Oh, give me a break!! He said very clearly "liberal Christians (oxymoron)", which is extremely generalizing & judgmental... so forgive me for responding to HIS rude comment!! So if you're going to defend his "opinion", you should refrain from being hypocritical in calling my opinions ugly. Don't you see the irony in that??

Moderator cut: off topic And please, explain to me (once again!) how my post was judgmental, when I'm simply responding to a rude comment toward liberals. CarolinaJack is constantly making statements like that, and I personally am sick of hearing his negativity toward groups of people... and notice, I said "MANY" Christians, not ALL - unlike what he frequently says about liberals, homosexuals, atheists, etc. If he's going to pass judgments on others for their actions, I have the right to question his behavior as well.

Last edited by Marka; 03-13-2007 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality