Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:03 AM

606 posts, read 699,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
All of this nonsense about church diversity is foolish and ridiculous. FYI religion has established and mantained our national Boarders, language and Culture since the Tower of Babel! Our church or Parishes Baptismal/Birth certicate posts a record of our identity.

Poles are Poles because of the Roman Catholic Church!
Russians are Russians because of the Eastern Orthodox Church!
German-Scandinavians are Germans-Scandinavians because of the Lutheran Church! German-Austrians are German-Austrians because of the Roman Catholic Church!
Irish are Irish because of the Roman Catholic Church!
Scotish are Scotish because of the Presbyterian Church!
English are English because of the Anglican Episcopal Church!
Arabs are Arabs because of Islam.
Chinese are Chinese because of Buddhism.
India is India because of Hinduism!

India has several major religions which conflicts a lot.Religious conflict is one of the most serious problems in India.

Most Chinese are atheists.I know there are Buddhism temples all over China but few people really believe in that(weird,weird,I don't understand why some chinese unbelievers go to temples frequently and throw money).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,009 times
They prolly said that so she would leave their all white church, how sad but how so believable

Old 05-06-2007, 10:26 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Back in my church going days, there was a woman, who called me alot cause she felt I needed to be saved and preached too, even pulled my skirt down cause she felt it would offend the preacher, it wasn't even all that hight! Anyhow, she told me that the blacks down here, meaning southwest GA, went to their little churches and the whites went to theirs, meaning large expensive ones...she didn't even think when she said it, it was so normal for to say that! And she was always there in the front of the church every sunday with the ministers, helping to save the lost to get saved and ready for baptism, good christian huhn?
I found some of this attitude in GA too - and some baptist folks who are open to changing it. But there is a lot about culture and religious expression going on with that, I think.

I am Episcopalian, and I belong to a church in northern NJ which has been integrated practically since it was started in the 1860s. In the 1880s the vestry considered building a separate church for the "colored" to be more "comfortable". The rector threatened to quit if they did, and so they voted to remain integrated. So the church has been intentionally integrated since the 1880s.

Even in a diverse community, being an integrated church takes a lot of work and open communication.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
All of this nonsense about church diversity is foolish and ridiculous. FYI religion has established and mantained our national Boarders, language and Culture since the Tower of Babel! Our church or Parishes Baptismal/Birth certicate posts a record of our identity.

Poles are Poles because of the Roman Catholic Church!
Russians are Russians because of the Eastern Orthodox Church!
German-Scandinavians are Germans-Scandinavians because of the Lutheran Church!
German-Austrians are German-Austrians because of the Roman Catholic Church!
Irish are Irish because of the Roman Catholic Church!
Scotish are Scotish because of the Presbyterian Church!
English are English because of the Anglican Episcopal Church!
Arabs are Arabs because of Islam.
Chinese are Chinese because of Buddhism.
India is India because of Hinduism!

!!
The only Russians I know are Jewish.

I'm Irish american. And I am Episcopalian.

In my county there are Chinese Christian Churches, and Indian Christian churches. And by the same logic, are Koreans Korean because they are Presbyterian? Because there are a LOT of Korean presbyterian churches, and other Korean Christian churches.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:40 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
The only Russians I know are Jewish.

I'm Irish american. And I am Episcopalian.

In my county there are Chinese Christian Churches, and Indian Christian churches. And by the same logic, are Koreans Korean because they are Presbyterian? Because there are a LOT of Korean presbyterian churches, and other Korean Christian churches.
Interesting the Korean people here are split between Catholic, Presbyterian and Baptist. We also have many Chinese Catholics in my church and lots of Indian Christian churches. All the Russian people I knew in Brooklyn were either Jewish (because Russia wanted to get rid of them so it was ok for them to come here) or atheist.

I don't think you pigeon hole where a person is from or what culture they identify with as to what their religion is....way too much room for assumptions and error.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:31 PM

401 posts, read 685,491 times
Who cares what color the people are in the Church? It is the color of their heart that matters. In heaven none of us will have skin anyway.

Last edited by wzippler; 07-09-2007 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 05:39 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Interesting the Korean people here are split between Catholic, Presbyterian and Baptist. We also have many Chinese Catholics in my church and lots of Indian Christian churches. All the Russian people I knew in Brooklyn were either Jewish (because Russia wanted to get rid of them so it was ok for them to come here) or atheist.

I don't think you pigeon hole where a person is from or what culture they identify with as to what their religion is....way too much room for assumptions and error.
I agree... and fyi, I'm a Russian (technically Ukrainian) Jew, but we actually have a large Russian Orthodox community here. They have such beautiful churches too!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
I'm a Jehovah's Witness and we are the most racially diverse religion within the US of all the top 25 major religions. We put forth no effort to target any particular racial group.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
I am black and so is my family. I'm an atheist but they all are Christians. I will tell you right now, you'd be pretty surprised why a lot of blacks don't like churches that aren't black. One reason being that black churches are more singing than reading scriptures. Not to mention, they always describe predominantly white churches as being "dead" with boring music. They love good music. Just remember though that people will have different opinions of what good music is, so while you think your church has good music, they may not think so. There are other reasons, but that's the one I hear the most.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 PM

401 posts, read 685,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I am black and so is my family. I'm an atheist but they all are Christians. I will tell you right now, you'd be pretty surprised why a lot of blacks don't like churches that aren't black. One reason being that black churches are more singing than reading scriptures. Not to mention, they always describe predominantly white churches as being "dead" with boring music. They love good music. Just remember though that people will have different opinions of what good music is, so while you think your church has good music, they may not think so. There are other reasons, but that's the one I hear the most.
I am white but I understand you completely on this one. The music is painfully dry, and everyone in the pews are as still as statues in every "white" church I have ever been to. I can't stand it! I need to tap my toes, if I feel like praising the Lord I don't want a church full of people looking at me like a freak! But that is what I have when I am in white churches. It is no wonder so many white people manage to fall asleep durring the church service. I feel like something is wrong if someone older than two but younger than 90 can fall asleep at church!

Once a year for a week our community has a get together of all the churches in the area that proclaim the Apostles Creed, and it is so funny to watch some of the stiffer white people turn even whiter whenever the darker skinned people start having a good time! And I also appreciate the freedom to worship like I want to when they are around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality