Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:16 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaarkh View Post
1]Says who? skewed logic? The punishment is not proportionate to the offender. Man is finite and mortal, undeserving of eternal punishment. Simplicity itself.
Says who? skewed logic? lol

The offense is against God. The punishment is according to the crime committed. In this case, the victim is eternal. Simplicity itself.

Quote:

2]This is substantiated directly by scripture, right? Or is it self-validated adherence upheld by popular conception?
Scripture.
Quote:
3]("Sheol," the Old Testament word that is sometimes translated as Hell, only means "grave" by definition, and it is where everyone in the Old Testament went when they died--good or evil, Jew or Gentile). Thus the Old Testament does not contain the concept of Hell! If Hell is real therein, why didn't God make that warning plain right at the beginning of the Bible? God said the penalty for eating of the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was death- -not "eternal life" in fire and brimstone.
There are several different words for it, but the concept is there.

[SIZE=2] Num. 16:30, "But if the Lord brings about an entirely new thing and the ground opens its mouth and swallows them up with all that is theirs, and they descend alive into Sheol, then you will understand that these men have spurned the Lord . . . 33So they and all that belonged to them went down alive to Sheol; and the earth closed over them, and they perished from the midst of the assembly."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] Matt. 8:12, "but the sons of the kingdom shall be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Matt. 13:41-42, "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, 42and will cast them into the furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” See also Matt. 13:50.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Matt. 25:41, "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.[/SIZE]

I took the above references from this link: Hell

If you are truly interested, check it out. There are plenty of references for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:02 PM

81 posts, read 152,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Says who? skewed logic? lol

The offense is against God. The punishment is according to the crime committed. In this case, the victim is eternal. Simplicity itself.
The case at hand here is inherent belief. If you were born to interpret complex "spiritual" events and reverence for the profundity of natural phenomena as Allah, and the scripture you are raised upon is that of the Qu'ran, and all your friends and family support and uphold your belief, are you are on the path to eternal damnation, by coincidence of birth? Even if you wish well the lives of those you do not know, but lead a content life otherwise, and are a religious moderate, which is a substantial minority of practicing Muslims? This is not a direct answer to the point, but a pretty convincing supplement.

On the subject of rational thought, the time-line on which a person spends his life, in the frame of all time, past, present, and future, is clearly a small frame. Assuming you are a religious moderate and do not believe the earth to be a few thousand years old, [It is several billion years old], the few decades [average] we have here on earth is minuscule compared to the indefinable phantom called eternity.

So to you eternity is defined as the following...

Since eternity is an abstract concept, it's only possible to think critically about it when you think of it in realistic terms... 70 years of conciousness.. then death... and not according to the quality of your life or your life's works but by belief in a single concept of a text conceived between 1400BC and 1700AD, depending on which Christian sect you follow, you will ascend into a land of eternal praise for your creator or descend into a lake of fire with weeping and gnashing of teeth? [There is no fully developed teaching about hell in the New Testament, though there are frequent mentions of it. Only in the course of later church history was it elaborated into official church doctrine.]

Eternity, the number multipliable by the age of the known existence of space and time itself by the age of the known existence of space and time itself, indefinitely, and on, and on, forever, and ever. 1,000,000 by 1,000,000 for ever and ever. For a man to hold firm beliefs in his life and to hold no faults of character otherwise, is not deserving of eternal punishment by mere circumstance of birth and the "wrong" belief. By this logic, the idea of Hell is clearly at fault. Anything else is armchair ratiocination to justify faulty texts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
There are several different words for it, but the concept is there.

[SIZE=2] Num. 16:30, "But if the Lord brings about an entirely new thing and the ground opens its mouth and swallows them up with all that is theirs, and they descend alive into Sheol, then you will understand that these men have spurned the Lord . . . 33So they and all that belonged to them went down alive to Sheol; and the earth closed over them, and they perished from the midst of the assembly."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] Matt. 8:12, "but the sons of the kingdom shall be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Matt. 13:41-42, "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, 42and will cast them into the furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” See also Matt. 13:50.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Matt. 25:41, "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.[/SIZE]
Good thing the last three verses are from the New Testament, not the book in question. Even better that the verse you cite from Numbers could dubiously describe the unknown underworld, even mentioning the ground opening up. Nothing about fire, torment, or punishment, or eternity.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:02 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
And yet you missed the First of the commandments.

Hmm,

While Our Creator gave it first, had it written first, it is the first that most mainstream 'Christians' violate.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM

81 posts, read 152,624 times
In the face of honest inquiry there can be no proper argument to my rebuttal in post #22 The Ten Commandments, why not to preach them

Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaarkh View Post
In the face of honest inquiry there can be no proper argument to my rebuttal in post #22 The Ten Commandments, why not to preach them

Except that we have no understanding of the meaning of grace if we don't understand our sin.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:19 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Look, I'd had a lovely supper and all I said to my wife was, "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.'

He is the messiah, I should know I've followed a few....

or better yet... "How shall we f*** off ,oh Lord"

You've quoted one of my favourite movies of all time. I'm going to have to go and watch it again now.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:57 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
He is the messiah, I should know I've followed a few....

or better yet... "How shall we f*** off ,oh Lord"

You've quoted one of my favourite movies of all time. I'm going to have to go and watch it again now.
I'm glad SOMEBODY got it.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I'm glad SOMEBODY got it.
It's the sign of the shoe! The sign of the shoe!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's the sign of the shoe! The sign of the shoe!
Romanes Eunt Domus!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM

709 posts, read 1,498,669 times
There should be only one "commandment": individual human sovereignty. (FLASH)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality