Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post

But really anything - even God - having no beginning and always existing is something well beyond our comprehension.

Exactly.
Can you even comprehend that someday man might be able to comprehend this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
It's actually more difficult to believe that god created it all, than the atheists version of it just happened since "god" is an extra step in the process.

Regardless, no one can really answer this to my satisfaction. Whether you belive in the "big bang", god created it all, or it just came about, they all come down to a guess.

One reason I love questions like this (questions without any definate answer) is that first of all it very interesting to hear all the opinions and beliefs and thoughts. Second of all, it shows you who has an open mind (valuable since none of us have "proof" of how we came about) and who's mind is closed by one belief based on nothing more than a guess.

Thirdly, it's always amusing to see how important beliefs are to some when it really doesn't matter what the details are. We're here...hello !, Believe what you will how we got here, but does it really matter enough to argue and fight over something that no one side has proof of ?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
God was, and is and forever will be.

Time is a function of space/matter. So when God created ex nihilo, matter and space came into existance and time started. Time is just an illusion. We think it is there, but it is not. Time/space/matter is the bubble that God created to create all the Universe in the vastness of nothing. God is spirit and is outside of this bubble. So, he sees all of time. That is why he can have prophets, because they are telling to man what God knows and sees because God is outside of all this. Yet God chose to enter his creation in the form of a baby. He walked the earth and talked with us. His name is Jesus Christ.

Why would God create everything if he knows the outcome? Because he knows the outcome! Just like a parrent sees that the needle will give a vaccine to bring long-term health to the child. The child only sees the immediate pain of the sharp point. Do our parrents withhold the healing powers of the doctor because of the sting? No. The same is with God. He sees the multitude of people that will spend eternity with him. He sees them and wants them to be with him. Will some chose to reject God? Yes, some will, but it was there choice, yet the number in heaven, I believe will be far greater then those who choose hell.

Remember God is a just and faithful judge. He can judge, because he is creator. He is good, because he is chose goodness and truth as his identity. He will not change because he said he will not change. He is a person and has an identity. He is not just some force in the universe. He is a real person, he has an identity, he has a will.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:26 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiike View Post
god came from the imagination of grown ups. and if you think that is not a serious answer then i ask you this. prove me wrong.

This sounds like something my Middle School students would say, frankly. Then they sit there with their arms crossed in a smug "so there" kind of way. Verrry tedious.

Exactly what proof would you accept?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaarkh View Post
Part of this post I have posted a couple days ago, but, incidentally, it stands to reason in this thread.
So if God has existed independent of time, since before the beginning, and the many works of God are too complex to be understood by man in the present, why personify him in the belief that he will intervene in your life to fulfill menial, trivial tasks? Or save your mother from breast cancer? Or help your amputated limb grow back? Wait? God won't do that last part, will he. Is it because theist expectation is self-limiting, going no more beyond the bounds of probability than is necessary to praise God for a statistical effect which would take place regardless of prayer? Yes, that is why.
That doesn't even make sense. And by "doesn't make sense" I don't mean "I disagree with it," but on a fundamental logical level, it just doesn't wash.

In other words: God's existence being independent of time and being too complex for any person to fully comprehend hardly excludes believing in Him.

PS and oh by the way, not every theist (or every Christian for that matter) believes He "intervenes" in their lives, at least not directly. Many more aren't really sure. But it can't hurt to ask for help, can it?

Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
God was spawned from man’s insecurity and ignorance. He needed to fill in the gaps in knowledge with something so he grabbed something invisible and improvable.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
I like the Hindu/Vedic explanation. God had no parents. God created everything from his perfect self. The spiritual energy is perfect, because it never needs to change, and the material energy is imperfect/inferior/ due to the deterioration, and constant change. It makes sense to me. God has always existed. I know we have a hard time grasping that, but the frog in the well has no concept of the Pacific ocean.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiike View Post
god came from the imagination of grown ups. and if you think that is not a serious answer then i ask you this. prove me wrong.
Where did these imaginative grown ups get their imaginations ? Who were these grown ups ? How old were they when they decided to make it up ? What about the grown ups on the other side of the planet ? Did they also make it up ? How were they dressed ? Or maybe they weren't dressed.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
This is a fascinating thread. I composed a rather lengthy post for it this a.m. but at the last moment decided, perhaps erroneously, to create a new thread instead because it focuses a bit uniquely.

Anyway, here's a link to that new thread if anyone's interested in participating in it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-training.html

Old 08-07-2009, 10:34 AM

296 posts, read 803,009 times
Who created God?

Human beings, they had to dream up something that would convince themselves that they would live forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality