Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:04 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

I believe that there's a passage in the Bible that states that Adam and Eve were told that if they ate of the forbidden fruit that they would surely die and yet Adam is said to have lived to the ripe old age of nine hundred and thirty years. But Adam and Eve are supposed to have been the ones who committed the original sin and hosed it up for the rest of us. The story of Adam and Eve has never made any sense to me in the first place but I'm wondering why Adam was supposedly blessed with such an incredibly long life and those of us who exist today who didn't have anything to do with any unauthorized eating of forbidden fruit are lucky to live until we're in our mid-seventies. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Because you eat bacon, and bacon is the debbil.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I believe that there's a passage in the Bible that states that Adam and Eve were told that if they ate of the forbidden fruit that they would surely die and yet Adam is said to have lived to the ripe old age of nine hundred and thirty years. But Adam and Eve are supposed to have been the ones who committed the original sin and hosed it up for the rest of us. The story of Adam and Eve has never made any sense to me in the first place but I'm wondering why Adam was supposedly blessed with such an incredibly long life and those of us who exist today who didn't have anything to do with any unauthorized eating of forbidden fruit are lucky to live until we're in our mid-seventies. Any thoughts?
That was that silly snakes fault. He told them that a month was a year.
So in snake years you will live to be 930 snake years old.

Last edited by Aeroman; 02-04-2009 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Now if it were a pizza tree I could understand the temptation.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,838 times
This is an easy one -
the planet is now so polluted, but back in Adam and Eves day - the air was purer, the waters were cleaner - everything was less polluted. Genetically, our ancestors were less 'contaminated' by inherited weakenss - such as diabetes, asthma, arthritis.
Centuries later - we live in a polluted world, our genes are infected. Its a wonder any of us reach 70 isn't it?!!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Oh, and about God saying "If you eat that fruit you will die" - he was talking spiritiually as well as physically. God didn't say WHEN he would die (at that time) either. But now, from our 20's we are dying - by our 40's our brain cells start dying too. Without God - we are cast afloat in a dead and dying world. But through Jesus we can be brought back - we die because of Adams sin - we live because of Jesus.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
beer
pizza
supersize it all
stop it

Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
930 years is a short period of time compared to eternity,if they had just obeyed. Sin had entered the world and since that time this world has been in a decline for mankind and will remain until the Second Coming of the Lord.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
Montana , don’t believe jennaflorrie. I have it straight from the snakes mouth. It happened just the way I stated in my first post.
Oh, And I plan on living to be 114. And I also plan on beating this guys record and becoming the oldest pilot.
Hal Wright, America's oldest flying pilot and paperboy

Last edited by Aeroman; 02-04-2009 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: I hope you all know i'm just kidding.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
jennaflorrie wrote:
Quote:
Genetically, our ancestors were less 'contaminated' by inherited weakenss - such as diabetes, asthma, arthritis.
Centuries later - we live in a polluted world, our genes are infected. Its a wonder any of us reach 70 isn't it?!!
Well, Adam and Eve didn't even have any ancestors if you believe the explanations in Genesis. The problem I have with this whole thing is that historical accounts of the lifespans of human beings indicate that people were dying at a very young age and fossils and other physical evidence suggests that humans were considered to be old aged if they lived past thirty five or fourty years old. I don't believe that any human being has lived for hundreds of years as the Bible suggests. I think this is another proof that biblical explanations of human events are based on mythology.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
jennaflorrie wrote:

Well, Adam and Eve didn't even have any ancestors if you believe the explanations in Genesis. The problem I have with this whole thing is that historical accounts of the lifespans of human beings indicate that people were dying at a very young age and fossils and other physical evidence suggests that humans were considered to be old aged if they lived past thirty five or fourty years old. I don't believe that any human being has lived for hundreds of years as the Bible suggests. I think this is another proof that biblical explanations of human events are based on mythology.

Adam and Eve were the 'original model' - they had no inherited diseases because as you rightly said they had no ancestors. Fossils came about - because of the flood - during the time of Noah, and perhaps by other floods which happened before Adam and Eve were created (who knows).

But why shouldn't humans have lived longer - at the beginning of Creation, if you go by the Bibles accounts. The earth was purer and the defects and diseases so common today, were unknown at the very beginning.

God only promises us 3 scores years and 10 - and if our strength is great - perhaps another 10 or 20 years on top. Thats it.

Looking around at our 'dying' world - thats not surpring. But things were not always like it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality