Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:01 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,242 times

Advertisements

Something that puzzles me about the bible and christianity in general is why there are no new prophets? Why, all those centuries ago, did god 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the bible, and then seemingly just stop? That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if god revealed himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why doesn't god reveal himself anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
I suspect it is because we recognize hearing voices who are not there is a mental issue, and can be treated with drugs allowing the person to live a normal productive life.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Something that puzzles me about the bible and christianity in general is why there are no new prophets? Why, all those centuries ago, did god 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the bible, and then seemingly just stop? That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if god revealed himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

A few reasons.

1. The prophets of the Bible weren't exactly on every street corner. We've got a few dozen prophets over a couple thousand years.

2. The Holy Spirit was not as active in those days, so God's way of speaking to mankind was through the prophets. Ironically, Israel really didn't tend to listen to them any more than Christians listen to the Spirit today.

3. A major job of the prophets was concerning Israel--its blessings, and its curse for living or not living according to what God commanded. They didn't live accordingly, they were exiled. With Christ, God used Israel to bring about Messiah to save the world. Messiah is God's message to the world--no more prophets are needed to proclaim it--but Christ's followers are to do that.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,525 times
We still have the words of the prophets, and their fulfillment, of long ago recorded for our benefit.
The bible is what I consider to be our prophet now- Jesus' life and ministry telling of God's heavenly kingdom....that has continued to this day.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:18 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Jim Jones, David Koresh, that Applewait guy (Heaven's Gate) to name a few.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:

I am of the belief there are no new prophets. not all agree. Why? because as a Christian I also believe we have been given an "account" of all that is necessary to find salvation, from Genesis to Revelation. In addition the Bible tells us many, many times about false prophets.... and there are many of them. This is important... at least to me, because anyone claiming to be a "prophet" is false. I believe the apostle Paul was the last one.

I suppose we must , in a general sense, know why we had prophets to begin with. Not trying to get theological here... but prophets speak for God... His actual words. Now we can all be "prophetic" by speaking God's word, and we ALL are prophetic, but that doesn't make us prophets. (simple explanation).

So why has He stopped? Well accepting my first premise... He has given us all we need to know... then prophets aren't necessary, so....
only those who are false prophets will claim to be prophets. The key is false prophets "usually" claim new and secret information from God.... and since I believe the cannon is closed... there are no more secrets we need to know on this earth. Now if we say "so and so" is a prophet and he/she doesn't claim such... then he's just being prophetic, repeating what has already been reveled. That doesn't mean prophets can not return, Elijah and Moses did... and Jesus returned to Paul (his conversion ) so there is wiggle room.

Why doesn't God revel himself anymore? I absolutely believe He does.... but to often we want the Hollywood's version of revelation or some parting of the Red sea. Our best place to "see" God is the Bible. Now I know that's not what your looking for... you maybe wanting some miraculous event to give confirmation.

here's a story... of a member of the congregation saying he needs 'assurance" of his salvation
“Suppose you had a vision of an angel who told you your sins were forgiven. Would that be enough to rest on?” “Yes, I think it would. An angel should be right.” the pastor continued, “But suppose on your deathbed Satan came and said, ‘I was that angel, transformed to deceive you.’ What would you say?”

Lastly... In Revelation we are warned about the one who will make a covenant with Israel (he will claim himself a prophet) and make peace... and then revel his true nature... as evil.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:45 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
There are no more prophets because there never were prophets from a god in the first place. More and more humans are beginning to wake up and become enlightened to the fact that the supernatural doesn't exist, and that in ancient times those persons heralded as prophets were either just Guys With Really High Charisma (who bent the truth about where they were getting their ideas) or mentally insane and hearing voices.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
As esselcue mentioned there are quite a few modern day individuals who have claimed to be prophets but of course they are generally con artists or mentally ill. I think a few of the more egotistical tv preachers would like to classify themselves as prophets although they don't come right out and admit it. In any case these people are a sorry lot.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Default There are

I made a thread about a very recent one...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...side-cult.html

Michael Travessar is the head of a doomsday cult and he and his followers believe that he is God. They are very serious and they live in a state near you.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:

He does, it's called the Holy Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality