Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 PM

45 posts, read 119,834 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I wrote an article over Christmas on this question:
war26.1.09.php

And I'm asking here because I haven't really heard anyone's reaction to it. I'm not trying to do self-aggrandizement, so if you like the article, just say thanks, but I really do want to know what people think of this issue and my take on it. I'm posting here because nobody looks shy with their opinions. :P Thanks!

Katherine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM

208 posts, read 476,396 times
University of Vietnam 65-67

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAvmLDkAgAM
From Henry V....St. Crispins Day speech

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered;
We few, we happy few, we "band of Brothers";
For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother......
Yes, Henry, We were the lucky ones....and we are brothers....

Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 PM

I don't know what scares me the most, people hiding their guns or people trying to come up with some lie as to what happened to their guns. AT SOME POINT YOU HAVE TO STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!! People, if TPTB are willing to completely ignore the Constitution of the U.S.A., then it is time to fight, not hide or be a weasel. Remember, "Give me liberty or give me death!"
Now is NOT the time to back down. Even if for some reason the SCOTUS rules against the 2nd Amendment, our rights are God given rights that are not to be taken away by an evil govt or a liberal court. FIGHT! Once the guns are gone, so will be all our other rights. Find friends and family that are of like mind and prepare to make the stand that is needed. We must find the courage of our Founding Fathers!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 PM

45 posts, read 119,834 times
Hi Mullenite,
Thanks for replying. However, I'm not sure I understand how what you're saying deals with the issue, is it OK (conscience-wise, Biblically speaking) for a Christian specifically to participate in warfare? Obviously the question of whether or not Americans should support the war in Iraq (or any war) is important, but not really what I'm asking here. Did you read the article?

Again, thanks, I'm interested to hear if you have anything to add regarding Christian conscience.

Katherine

Old 03-24-2009, 12:16 AM

[The Constitution] is the keystone of our nation. It is the guarantee of our liberty. That original document, with the Bill of Rights, constitutes the charter of our freedom. Through all of the years that have followed we have had some ambitious men who have sought to subvert the great principles of the Constitution, but somehow we have endured one crisis after another. We have been involved in terrible wars during this, the bloodiest of all centuries in the history of man. All of this is part of the miracle that is America, the struggle, the travail, the bitterness, the jealousies, the cynicism, and the criticism. But beyond and above it all is the wonder of a nation that for more than two centuries has remained free and independent and strong, the envy of the world, the hope of the world, the protection of free men everywhere, the manifestation of the power of the Almighty. Yes christian men have WAR in many lands so you could voice your opinion......

Last edited by Mullenite; 03-24-2009 at 12:25 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 12:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
most violent criminals in jail think they are there bek they were defending themselves.
this includes unarmed 80 year old "assailants". we do it collectively too.
we are in a 7 year war against iraq, we are "defending" ourselves against iraq.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Interesting question.
As a follower of Jesus I like to emulate him as much as possible.
With the exception of the moneychangers in the temple Jesus only attacked ideas.
He generally viewed wars as a symptom and not the cause, so I probably would fight the cause 1st.
If done right you don't need to enter a physical war.
Ghandi & MLK are good examples of how Jesus went to war.

Quote:
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
Indian political and spiritual leader

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)
US black civil rights leader & clergyman

Old 03-24-2009, 02:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullenite View Post
I don't know what scares me the most, people hiding their guns or people trying to come up with some lie as to what happened to their guns. AT SOME POINT YOU HAVE TO STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!! People, if TPTB are willing to completely ignore the Constitution of the U.S.A., then it is time to fight, not hide or be a weasel. Remember, "Give me liberty or give me death!"
Now is NOT the time to back down. Even if for some reason the SCOTUS rules against the 2nd Amendment, our rights are God given rights that are not to be taken away by an evil govt or a liberal court. FIGHT! Once the guns are gone, so will be all our other rights. Find friends and family that are of like mind and prepare to make the stand that is needed. We must find the courage of our Founding Fathers!
Just when was the last time the USA was invaded by a foreign country esp. the lower 48?

Oh I forgot - never.

How many countries has the USA invaded?

Hmm yeah, that is easier and we of course all know how they turned out?

Excluding WWI and WWII which you did not win - it was an Allied victory unless you want to purport only the blood of slain USA soldiers were of significance? Hmm thought not else you would get many irate folk like me from SA and ex-pats from the colonies, Australia, India protesting.

I guess it must be the libural democrats you have to fight then - USA civil war 2.0?

And of course the USA Armed forces are all democrats, no democrats own guns OR only democrats will be able to own guns.

OH BTW, where exactly in the bible does it say God gave you rights to own guns?

I am guessing that your inalienable right to bear arms was authored by the founding fathers of the USA in the constitution?

Whoo whoo, the Unionists are coming, hoist and wave the confederate flag.

Did you ever notice how blue the states went in the last election (district wise?)

Here:

Old 03-24-2009, 05:36 AM

37 posts, read 68,761 times
We have a GOD given right of self defense.

Even eating a nutritious diet is a form of self defense against starvation or illness.

Justifiable self defense can become justifiable homocide,

under primitive, buffalo hunter, lifestyles

of our ancestor mothers and forefathers,
who did live outside the Internet Bubble & Nuclear Umbrella.

Land where our fathers died
Land of the Pilgrim's pride
Of thee I sing.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:15 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
From my teachings, this is part of a message from Jesus regarding violence and self defense.

"To strive to become an example of God's Love made manifest in the world should be your constant goal. You will reap the rewards of such actions and desires by attracting Celestial guides and protectors who can influence circumstances around you in ways you cannot even imagine. When you have these high ideals and intentions, situations will unfold around you which may entirely eliminate the need to take up defense because you would not be put into circumstances which would require such action. The spiritually evolved souls who have taken a non-violent stand against oppression have been the most effective in making positive changes. We acknowledge this choice is not without risk of life, but to live in fear and feeling the need to take up arms is not the kind of life God intended for His beloved children."

You can read the rest here: Is violence justified in self defence? KS 8 Sep 2000

God gave humans free will. If you want peace on earth, the fighting has to stop. We are only here temporarily so what is the point in fighting when we all have the same goal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality