Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times

Advertisements

I've mentioned on a number of threads that I often have very vivid dreams in which I am able to fly. Last night was one of the best ones in a long time. I was dreaming that I was in a group of people and I wanted to show off how fast I could fly and they were going to time me. Unfortunately, being the old man that I am, right at a critical moment in the story nature woke me up and informed me that it was necessary to take a stroll to the bathroom. I did that but then quickly fell asleep again and incredibly the dream picked up right where it left off. I claimed to the people in the dream that I could climb to at least 1,000 feet in a matter of seconds and they were going to test me with a stopwatch. I started climbing very quickly but as in countless other dreams I found that it's very difficult to just shoot straight up and that I can fly at an angle at high speed and gain altitude very quickly. I have had literally thousands of these kinds of dreams over my lifetime and it makes me wonder what is going on inside of my mind. I have the feeling that somehow my subconscious mind realizes that I'm asleep and that I have this ability that isn't possible in the real world. That's probably because it's happened so many times and I'm thinking there must be something churning around in my brain that's telling me that this is a dream and I can do anything I want. It's something I really enjoy dreaming about. I know it sounds kooky but if I could present a video and audio of those dreams to you it would knock your socks off. I've heard people say that dreams serve a purpose in some biological manner. I've been having variations on this same dream for at least fourty years and I'm wondering if anyone else has a dream that follows a predictable pattern and if so what in the world it might mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:59 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,796 times
simple flight in a dream is equal to the waking idea of "sky's the limit". In your dream it would signify your self sense of freedom and release of limitations. Also people who fly tend to be strong and a bit of a risk taker. You wanting to prove to your friends how high you can fly is a also saying look at how much I can accomplish! I can do anything.
My questions would be do those who are there notice you, cheer you on, watch in awe? Do you know these people or have a selfknowledge of who they are, not that they are poeple who you know in the waking but do you feel like you know them or is it a crowd of strangers. Also do you know where you are flying. the area. Is it a place from your past present or a memory. Maybe it is a special place you never been too?
All in all flying dreams are a sign of prosperity and happiness, as well as accomplishments. They tend to show a release from the maudlin everyday life, trial and stress. I get them all the time.
You might want to start a dream diary and a journal.... over time you will see your dreams and life corellate.
One last question. this one dream was interupted by natures call but have you had flying dreams that wake up with a loud bang? Someone calling your name? or some unexplianable noise? If so that is a different type of dream altogether. Not bad but majorly different.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:20 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,354,845 times
when i was around 8 years old i used to always dream that i was flying, but i would stand and just flap my arms, and i would always fly straight up, not at an angle. i would fly over Porterville, CA, the town where we really lived. if someone was after me, i could get away fast.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,317,463 times
Absolutely agree with everything Kerowyn wrote as far as analysis. I also have these dreams, I remember a particularly vivid one when I was a teen that I flew to Scotland and landed on the wall of a ruined, ancient castle. The weird thing about it was that I could see the ghosts of people that had lived there. I wasn't scared of them, just curious, and spoke to them. I don't for a minute think this was anything other than a dream but I have always remembered it.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,803 times
Dream flying is the coolest thing ever. Sometimes I am barely able to float (gently flapping my arms/hands LoL) and maybe get over a tree. Other times I can fly vast distances at the speed of thought (no flapping required) both straight up and horizontally. Then there's the 'inbetween' mode where I have spurts of great height/speed and then struggle to keep from falling back down to earth.

For you dream analyzers: The floating barely off the ground dreams are generally with an audience gawking in amazement - both friends and strangers. The zooming effortlessly all over the earth are complete solo ventures (just me and the wind).

Also: I can sometimes fly down into the earth as well and explore vast caverns etc.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:11 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,617 times
I think it's quite common for children to fly in their dreams, I too used to do it almost every night but let it go as I got older. They say it's the "astral" part of the body that goes flying, whatever that word really means, just the intellectuals and self-styled analysts fixated on trying to explain the unexplainable to themselves probably.

It's annoying when you awake sooner than you want to, or can't seem to get off the ground hard as you try. (I'd try jumping off a chair in my dreams and sometimes fall flat on my face.) It's delicious though when you give up, slip a bit deeper into sleep, then realize that you're floating.

Interesting thread, thx for being bold enough to talk about it.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Absolutely agree with everything Kerowyn wrote as far as analysis. I also have these dreams, I remember a particularly vivid one when I was a teen that I flew to Scotland and landed on the wall of a ruined, ancient castle. The weird thing about it was that I could see the ghosts of people that had lived there. I wasn't scared of them, just curious, and spoke to them. I don't for a minute think this was anything other than a dream but I have always remembered it.
That is a really cool dream! I always wanted to fly to a different land. if you believe in past life I wouldn't doubt if you have had a past life in Scotland and you are visiting your memories and the people you knew then, and since your concious self knows they are all dead they presented themselve as ghosts to youin the dream. kind of like being able to haunt your own past life.
Depending on what you watched or read that week prior to the dream it could have influenced your dreamstate choice of location and events... but still being able to fly out of county! really Cool!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 AM

I enjoy hearing dreams and interpreting them. I do it quite often for myself, family members and friends. I seem to have a knack for it.

If you want to fly in your dreams try this... every night ask the powers that be "please help me lighten up and let me fly in me dreams". If you do this for several days you might just find yourself taking short flights.

[powers that be is just a friendly phrase to express options that one believes in they can be Angels, God, SpiritGuides, etc.]

Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
Kerowyn wrote:
Quote:
My questions would be do those who are there notice you, cheer you on, watch in awe? Do you know these people or have a selfknowledge of who they are, not that they are poeple who you know in the waking but do you feel like you know them or is it a crowd of strangers. Also do you know where you are flying. the area. Is it a place from your past present or a memory.
It's strange but quite often these flying dreams happen indoors in some place like a shopping mall or large building. I've had countless dreams when I'm hoving about a yard or so off the floor and just floating along as people watch me. I often do stunts to show off like flying up to a high ceiling and then flying all over the room. The people who are watching me are always strangers as far as I can remember and the surroundings are generally not familiar although I will occasionally be in a city that I've lived in like Seattle and will see a familiar building like the office I used to work in but generally these dreams are very grandiose and there are always large and futuristic looking buildings that don't really exist. That part I think I understand, I'm interested in architecture and futuristic buildings and spend alot of time on websites that are showing the progress of major projects and I'm sure that they stimulate my imagination. The outdoor flying dreams are just as spectacular and I've give anything to be able to have one of those dreams on film.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,317,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
That is a really cool dream! I always wanted to fly to a different land. if you believe in past life I wouldn't doubt if you have had a past life in Scotland and you are visiting your memories and the people you knew then, and since your concious self knows they are all dead they presented themselve as ghosts to youin the dream. kind of like being able to haunt your own past life.
Depending on what you watched or read that week prior to the dream it could have influenced your dreamstate choice of location and events... but still being able to fly out of county! really Cool!
I actually have Scottish heritage so maybe genetic memory is a possibility. Who knows? It's an interesting idea, past lives, I even had a past life regression once just out of curiousity. I kind of felt that I was making it up as I went along though. I've not been convinced of its validity yet, but as always I have an open mind.

I do a fair bit of dream interpretation myself.To me it's very logical and dreams have a very important function in psychological health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality