Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times

Advertisements

Mark 16:16 says "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

Many denominations in the Christian faith believe you must not only say the sinner's prayer, but must also be baptized in water. And to further clarify, many say this must be a full immersion in water, not just a sprinkling over the head.

So say you say the sinner's prayer on Tuesday in all sincerity and you feel that spark of change inside, the happiness and peace. But you won't be baptized till the coming Sunday at church. Are you then not really saved that whole week until you are immersed in water?

If the answer is yes, couldn't that person just run home with a fellow believer and have them dunk 'em with a prayer in the bathtub? If not, this new believer could go out and die in car wreck or something and therefore go to hell forever because he had not both confessed AND been baptized, right?

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
I say that when one accepts Christ, you should be then Baptised, as an outward showing of an inward change. And also IMHO that if one dies after recieving Christ and has not been baptized, such as on a battlefield-etc, that they arent going to Hell, their conversion was real. They just didnt have time to be dunked yet.

I also feel like ANY believer in Christ can baptise someone, not just a preacher, pastor, Rev, or whatever the title. Im sure not all agree with this...Ive heard of "illegal" baptismHas anyone else heard this term?and maybe knows what it means?

Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
I think we need to take Jesus' command to be baptized as a command, but if that is prevented for some reason, to say it negates salvation would be legalism IMO.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:59 AM

23,014 posts, read 34,374,307 times
I believe salvation only comes through Jesus. There is no saving power in being baptized. It is a symbol of Christ death, burial and resurrection. The thief on the cross was not baptized.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 PM

So far, I agree with all 3 of you! How boring...

Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
So far, I agree with all 3 of you! How boring...
Yep, I should've said something different just so we could argue! Yawn...

Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe salvation only comes through Jesus. There is no saving power in being baptized. It is a symbol of Christ death, burial and resurrection. The thief on the cross was not baptized.
Agreed. Baptism is a symbol of a changed soul. It will not "save" you from Eternal damnation. Nor will it prevent your trip to Heaven.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:16 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Mark 16:16 says "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

Many denominations in the Christian faith believe you must not only say the sinner's prayer, but must also be baptized in water. And to further clarify, many say this must be a full immersion in water, not just a sprinkling over the head.

So say you say the sinner's prayer on Tuesday in all sincerity and you feel that spark of change inside, the happiness and peace. But you won't be baptized till the coming Sunday at church. Are you then not really saved that whole week until you are immersed in water?

If the answer is yes, couldn't that person just run home with a fellow believer and have them dunk 'em with a prayer in the bathtub? If not, this new believer could go out and die in car wreck or something and therefore go to hell forever because he had not both confessed AND been baptized, right?

What say you?
What was that?!?!?!?!?!!?

Did you say 'go to hell FOREVER'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm.

For the topic at hand, baptism is an act of obedience not an act of salvation.

One should be baptized, but isn't damned FORVER is they aren't

Old 07-13-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
What was that?!?!?!?!?!!?

Did you say 'go to hell FOREVER'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm.

For the topic at hand, baptism is an act of obedience not an act of salvation.

One should be baptized, but isn't damned FORVER is they aren't
Oh Alpha...just so I'm not accused of trying to railroad every thread into you-know-what , I decided for the sake of the story to make it conform to orthodox belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yep, I should've said something different just so we could argue! Yawn...
Come on kay! I know ya got it in ya...

Old 07-13-2007, 12:18 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,469 times
Well, I can't add anything to this either. Kaykay stop that yawning, yawn, you are making me do yawn it.

I agree that baptism in water is the public symbol of our accepting Christ, and our willingness to put off the old and put on the new ... rebirth....through the ceremony of water baptism.

I also go back to that thief on the cross, and am certain he is with Jesus. That being said, I believe if someone has a deathbed conversion, they too will be in heaven, if the conversion is from their heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality