Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
It would be a waste of a perfectly good beer.

It was a philosophical statement. I am sure that in many religions, one will find a similar phrase just like "sowing and reaping" aka karma. BTW I know Jesus said it according to the bible, I just no longer hold the bible in any reverence as you do.

Jesus spoke many fundamental truths but I am sure he was not the only one, I have not really studied other religions but have seen quotes from them here on C-D, the bible however I know extremely well.

At the end of the day, the mind picture I have of Jesus' teachings, I do NOT see displayed here barring a few people who happen to be the ones not judging everyone else. (Also one of his teachings)

Some here said something like, you win many more friends with sweet wine than vinegar.
It is too bad that you have met many ill favored people. But remember to not judge God based on the actions of falible man.

Jesus said, I came not to judge the world, but to save it. He however command us that if we judge, not to judge after the appearance, but judge righteous judgement. (John 7:24)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:10 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
But, it was not emotions that ever spurred me to have my beleifs.
Actually that is not true. A part of the brain is called the amgdyala (spelling). That part of the brain is where emotions come from. People who have had that part of the brain damaged are able to logically discuss pros and cons forever, but they cannot make a decision. They might discuss what color of shirt to wear today--but by nightfall, they still have not decided. Since the only function the amgdyala has is emotion, scientists have concluded that emotions are critical for decision making. What we refer to as "logical" is not pure logic--but is an emotional driven exercise.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:15 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I don't have any arguments for my beliefs..They can't be proven..I share them if asked, but I have no desire to make everyone think like me..
I am at a peaceful place with myself, my beliefs and God now..It is a peace that allows me to be tolerant, understanding and most of all nonjudgemental of other beliefs and for those with no beliefs..

I was not raised in any particular religion, but one side of the family were Catholic and the other side protestant..My mom, I know, missed her Catholic upbringing and remained a catholic in her moments of need.

I have believed ever since I was a very little girl..As I matured I questioned which led me to learn about other religions.. I read many books about the history of Christianity..I also studied a couple of books on literature forms as applied to the bible which proved very valuable in my understanding some of the most absurd stories and events that were written in the ot..

When I married my h and family were very fundamental and literal about the bible, heaven and a fiery hell that continues to burn you for all eternity...I could not accept those things nor that my h was superior to me in religious matters and that he was free to do as he pleased while I was in subjection and at his mercy..
During many years of this my h did rebel against his religion once and he involved us in a bible study with the JW"s for 7 years..Then went through a time of no religion then back to his raisings only more literal than before..Through all those years I continued to study and to pray for guidance and some sense of understanding..

Very long story shortened
I would be content to walk into any church and worship with the members there whether they call themselves Catholic, Protestant, or anything between...I think Gods church is everywhere, but I just stay at home on Sunday mornings to avoid any arguements with H and his family about where I should go and with whom..

I finally took a stand for myself and my belief and my relationship with God and dropped completely out of the man made religion and joined cd
That is the short version

Old 05-08-2009, 01:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I usually just reach into my closet and grab a shirt. It's not like there's something it has to "match".

Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
My most powerful argument would be: I am what I am.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:50 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
nice, tricky. aren't you always there when needed the most, huh?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:49 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by effie briest
Quote:
nice, tricky. aren't you always there when needed the most, huh?

If that is what you like to believe.
It's all fine be me.

I guess I'm a real mellow kinda guy.
( Or it could be because of all the weed here in The Netherlands).

Old 05-09-2009, 03:53 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest If that is what you like to believe.
It's all fine be me.

I guess I'm a real mellow kinda guy.
( Or it could be because of all the weed here in The Netherlands).
your guess only would-be as good as mine, yellow-mellow and the likes have their own radiation..

Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:
Are you, "Your own special creation?"

Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
my health my success and the consistant disappointment of my enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality