Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:22 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times

Advertisements

(Yes, "go and tell the world". But where does it say that you should continue to talk when those with whom you are talking have decided not to listen? )

ahh the limits of the Christian heart...

Some Christians are always so ready to toss up their hands and give up on people.
Some Christians dont even want to answer God's call to try and help people in need.

The real truth is not that too many Christians dont know when to stop,
rather the real sad truth is that too many Christians dont even try to begin...

When I was a kid and my parents would take us out to dinner some place I always remember seeing everyone in the place would always bow their heads and say grace with their family before they all began to eat.

Seen any familys do that anymore?
Not many....

We used to go to church and smile at all the Christians who would only show up at church for Christmas...
Now we see tons of Christians who only show up for their own funeral.
I serve on the church board and we get familys before us who need a funeral and I don't have a clue who these people are.
I have to dig into the church records from the 60s and 70s to see if they are a member or not?
None of us had seen that family before in our lives!

So, the problem is not that Christians try too hard to change the world,

The growing problem is that too many Christians don't try at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
to wit: 'don't bother' because they already know what you are saying and don't want to hear it.
The reason Christians should speak up to the Lost?

I cant speak for the whole church, but I can give you my answer for this question...

The reason I speak up is not that I hope to convince the other guy, rather I speak up because if I don't then the other person's blood is on my hands.

I cant change anyone's mind on something.
I cant wave my magic wand,. or say the magic phrase and "Ta-DA!" the other person repents and believes all that I have said.
I cant change the person.
In fact the only person i can change, is me.

I believe that speaking up, offering help, stating the truths of the Word, all these things make me a better and stronger person of faith.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:19 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
He made them Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve!
No. First there was Adam and the animals. He didn't like the animals and got lonely, so god made Lilith. Lilith was too uppity for Adam's tastes, so she was destroyed. Then came Eve who talked with talking snakes with legs. They had Cain and Able, but Cain got jealous and killed Able. They had sex with their mum first though. Then a little later there was Noah-who managed to fit millions of species of animals on a 450 ft wooden boat before god got pissed and killed off everyone he'd created. Then there was Abraham who married his sister Sarah and had sex with Hagar, Sarah's slave woman and the rest of his concubines. Then Abraham had a nephew Lot who offered up his virgin daughters to be gang raped. Then Lot's daughters got him drunk and had sex with him....

And that's just in the first book.

Then theres a lot of mass slaughter, kidnappings and rape of virgin girls etc ordered by YHWH....

Then later we have Jonathan and David who loved each other. Then later Ruth and Naomi whose vows of eternal love and commitment are still used at weddings....

It would make a good generational soap opera, but it would have to be rated R for all the violence and sex.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 AM

No, it was first Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:

Of course then Adam and Eve's had children...who had children...who had children and somewhere in there gay people came to be.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:47 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell
I liked it best when gay meant happy.

Gay's now are a minority because of how they conduct their sex life, where as some one else may be considered a minority class because they came from another country. Or woman minority as they make/made up the smaller portion of the work place.

Any one see anything bizarre about what minority classification on a person's sex life?

I don't know.

If two men want to , what did you say, have a civil union together, let 'em go and knock themselves out, get married. Two woman, go, knock yourself out. Adopt children pay your taxes, abide by the driving laws, speak only when spoken too... or no, we do have free speech, well for a time any way...but whatever

I don't have sex, can I file for a minority classification based on the fact that I do not have sex. (too much information) There are quite a few people that don't have sex. We should unite. What would we call our selves? The Happy Group!

I'm sorry, its just nuts.

When the Government has to step in and govern our moral obligations and help us to be descent human beings, baring rape, murder, theft, etc... there is definitely something wrong with us.

And if we can not refrain ourselves from public displays of sex, then I am back to, let's just let everyone go running necked in the streets.

Keep working on those definitions Alan as your are reminding me of the book, "1984". Read the book, you'll get it.

Good post

Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Um actually you can know silly rabbit.
That is the point of the book, that we each can open it up and read it for ourselves.'
The words are right there in black and white,,,(with some use of red at points)

Now it is true, I cant predict how the message you find in the text will change you.
But I can read the same text that you read.
Hello Alan:

Please allow me to introduce my self.

Hi, my name is Frances Renee. People call me Renee. I have worn lots of hats. My most comfortable hat has been the hat that was a gift from God.

I was saved by the grace of God on June 9th 1970, through the teachings of the fundamental Baptist Church, Central Baptist, I allowed Jesus to stir my heart, reach in and touch my soul.

From that time till forward and after reading many posts of ideas here on CD have determined that what the Bible has in it written for the world to know and understand will be continued to be debated for as long as we live.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
what the Bible has in it written for the world to know and understand will be continued to be debated for as long as we live.
We can debate what it might mean....But I can find the same verse you are reading...

That we can agree on.
You can tell me that type of translation you are reading, I can go get mine, you can tell the verse in question, I can open up to the same page. and we can read the same words....

Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
We can debate what it might mean....But I can find the same verse you are reading...

That we can agree on.
You can tell me that type of translation you are reading, I can go get mine, you can tell the verse in question, I can open up to the same page. and we can read the same words....
Yes Alan, we could. And you and I would probably have a gay old time doing it. However, I see your join date is just but this year? I've been coming here and reading their words for several years now.

I read more than I post, because mostly I do not have anything to say. Also I know I must choose my words wisely least some one come back at me and try to enter me into a match of testament. CD has proven for me a great place of learning what other people think.

I will share with you my favorite verse in the Bible. It is one that I believe the Lord has given to me specific for a specific purpose. Along with the one verse are the other words that continue to substantiate the one for me. Click on the link provided.

The King James Version

Galatians

6:1Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
The King James Version Free Online Bible

Now Alan, we must get back to the topic at hand and the question of the OP. Would Christians make Homosexual illegal if they could?

My contingency is, that it is just sex. And that the act of sex has nothing to do with how God will judge them in the end, in that if they believe that or not. But for the people of this world to govern the act of sex and to know they would even need to govern this, then there is something wrong with people and their moral judgments displayed on this earth, for that to have to take place.

I vote no, I would not make the act of sex illegal, hetero, or homo.

Just as the word gay does not mean one is happy any more, the word Parent is also being redefined within the judicial system. All things are subject to redefinition at any given time and space.

The world is but forever spinning and changing as the people in it are forever, doing the same.

DM me Alan, if you would like to share scriptures in a private discussion.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:59 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
You don't really know the Bible or it's history all that well do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality