Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

I realize we've had a ton of threads regarding homosexuality but I'd like to ask a question that I don't think I've read on any of those threads. Many years ago a homosexual act was illegal in many states and gradually those laws were either not enforced or were overturned by the Courts. I can recall an interview with a man in California who was associated with an extremely anti-gay group who supported the concept of not only making it illegal to engage in same sex activity but to also make it a crime that could result in the death penalty. Of course even the most right wing fundamentalists would probably not go that far but I'm wondering what those of you who are opposed to homosexuality would actually do in terms of legislation if you had the power to do so. In many Islamic nations people who are caught engaging in same sex activities can be sent to prison. So my question is this, just how far would your anti-gay point of view go if you were able to force your will on society? Would you make homosexual sex illegal, send people to prison, or would you simply be satisfied that gays and lesbians can't get married in most states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:03 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
In many Islamic nations people who are caught engaging in same sex activities can be sent to prison.
Actually, I believe they are hanged or beheaded.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Actually, I believe they are hanged or beheaded.
ok, it's off topic, but here is some information .... better than unclear beliefs..

http://www.safraproject.org/Reports/...osexuality.pdf

and, to answer op's Q: no. but legal judgment would not solve the problems we have with moral judgments based on arbitrary selectiveness with regard to all nature (being). imo.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 06-05-2009 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
First of all I find this a very odd and disturbing question, and I would like to know what your answers would be...

If homosexuality were to be outlawed how far should we go?

There are people opposed to unmarried couples living together, people opposed to birth control, people opposed to premarital sex, and the list goes on and on. Shall we outlaw those, and perhaps call for the death penalty for those as well?

If no, why not?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 PM

50 posts, read 99,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
First of all I find this a very odd and disturbing question, and I would like to know what your answers would be...

If homosexuality were to be outlawed how far should we go?

There are people opposed to unmarried couples living together, people opposed to birth control, people opposed to premarital sex, and the list goes on and on. Shall we outlaw those, and perhaps call for the death penalty for those as well?

If no, why not?

There are many nonsenses. Brigitte Bardot is regularly before the secular inquisition for opposing torture of animals and expressing views about islamic influence in France. Extremists be they religious like our friend in California or secular like the speech censoring French state are always seeking to legislate formorality but of course homosexuality shoud notbe illegal as such any more than expressing disquiet at aspects of secularist dogme.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
I simply don't consider it my business, to interfere with others' sexual choices, so long as it involves consenting adults. I don't want someone poking their nose into my bedroom. I have no busines poking mine into their's, whether they are heterosexual, or homosexual. As a matter of fact, I can't think of anything that would be of less interest to me, than to know, and legislate, what goes on in someone's bedroom. Of course, I'm not an evangelical/fundamentalist, (they do seem to have the most problem with sexual matters, whether their's or their neighbor's), so I may be the wrong person to ask.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
The reason I'm even bringing up this question is because I do believe that there's a hard core group of the far right that would like to see homosexuality made illegal again and to enforce those laws. Homosexuality is illegal in about 80 different nations right now. I feel there is a very strong sense of hostility from many religious people that is directed towards gays and lesbians so I'm simply asking them how far they'd want to restrict the activities of gays. Personally I don't see even the slightest threat from gay people but it's obvious from reading the posts of certain members of this forum that they do feel that gays are a real threat to society and to our moral structure as a nation. I won't name any of those members but I would like to hear their honest opinion on this question.
It's not my intention for this thread to turn into name calling and insults being thrown back and forth until it has to be closed down. So for those of you who feel homosexuality is immoral, should it also be illegal and punishable by law?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
The reason I'm even bringing up this question is because I do believe that there's a hard core group of the far right that would like to see homosexuality made illegal again and to enforce those laws. Homosexuality is illegal in about 80 different nations right now. I feel there is a very strong sense of hostility from many religious people that is directed towards gays and lesbians so I'm simply asking them how far they'd want to restrict the activities of gays. Personally I don't see even the slightest threat from gay people but it's obvious from reading the posts of certain members of this forum that they do feel that gays are a real threat to society and to our moral structure as a nation. I won't name any of those members but I would like to hear their honest opinion on this question.
It's not my intention for this thread to turn into name calling and insults being thrown back and forth until it has to be closed down. So for those of you who feel homosexuality is immoral, should it also be illegal and punishable by law?
Trust me, there are people out there and there may be one, two or three on this forum.
I'm sure if Focus on the Family had a forum, you would see such statements regularly.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
I realize we've had a ton of threads regarding homosexuality but I'd like to ask a question that I don't think I've read on any of those threads. Many years ago a homosexual act was illegal in many states and gradually those laws were either not enforced or were overturned by the Courts. I can recall an interview with a man in California who was associated with an extremely anti-gay group who supported the concept of not only making it illegal to engage in same sex activity but to also make it a crime that could result in the death penalty. Of course even the most right wing fundamentalists would probably not go that far but I'm wondering what those of you who are opposed to homosexuality would actually do in terms of legislation if you had the power to do so. In many Islamic nations people who are caught engaging in same sex activities can be sent to prison. So my question is this, just how far would your anti-gay point of view go if you were able to force your will on society? Would you make homosexual sex illegal, send people to prison, or would you simply be satisfied that gays and lesbians can't get married in most states?
I was baptized christian but i have learned a lot in my years to know that religion is man made.

I would make the issue of homosexuality a subject to be studied.

I would not punish the homosexual because they are only doing what they think is natural and normal for them.

I would have all the scientific minds on earth to study homosexuality.

that is my opinion.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I was baptized christian but i have learned a lot in my years to know that religion is man made.

I would make the issue of homosexuality a subject to be studied.

I would not punish the homosexual because they are only doing what they think is natural and normal for them.

I would have all the scientific minds on earth to study homosexuality.

that is my opinion.
There have been a lot of studies on homosexuality over the past 40 or so years. Which is why scientists and professional organizations make statements like this (from WebMD) based on the findings of those studies:

Sexuality is an important part of who we are as humans. Beyond the ability to reproduce, sexuality also defines how we see ourselves and how we physically relate to others. Sexual orientation is a term used to refer to a person's emotional, romantic, and sexual attraction to individuals of a particular gender (male or female).

Sexual orientation generally is divided into 3 categories:

· Heterosexual: attracted to individuals of the opposite sex
· Bisexual: attracted to members of either sex
· Homosexual: attracted to individuals of one's own sex

Sexual orientation involves a person's feelings and sense of identity; it may or may not be evident in the person's appearance or behavior. People may have attractions to people of the same or opposite sex but may elect not to act on these feelings. For example, a bisexual may choose to have a monogamous (one partner) relationship with one gender and, therefore, elect not to act on the attraction to the other gender.

Why Are Some People Homosexual or Bisexual?
Most scientists today agree that sexual orientation (including homosexuality and bisexuality) is the result of a combination of environmental, emotional, hormonal, and biological factors. In other words, there are many factors that contribute to a person's sexual orientation, and the factors may be different for different people.

However, homosexuality and bisexuality are not caused by the way a child was reared by his or her parents, or by having a sexual experience with someone of the same sex when the person was young. Also, being homosexual or bisexual does not mean the person is mentally ill or abnormal in some way, although there may be social problems that result from prejudicial attitudes or misinformation.

How Does a Person Know Their Sexual Orientation?
For many people, their sexual orientation becomes evident to them during adolescence or young adulthood, and in many cases without any sexual experience. For example, homosexuals become aware that their sexual thoughts and activities focus on people of the same sex. It is possible, however, to have fantasies or to be curious about people of the same sex without being homosexual or bisexual, or choosing to act on these impulses/attractions.

Can a Person's Sexual Orientation Be Changed?
Most experts agree that sexual orientation is not a choice and, therefore, cannot be changed. Some people who are homosexual or bisexual may hide their sexual orientation and/or live as heterosexuals to avoid the prejudice that exists against people who are homosexual and bisexual or to avoid their own moral dilemmas felt when their sexual orientation is incompatible with their personal beliefs.

From your extreme anti-homosexual views in the P and C forum, it appears you don't agree with all the scientists and medical experts anyway, so why would any more studies change your opinions? Are you hoping for something that agrees with your views that homosexuals are sick perverts with a mental illness and an agenda to indoctrinate and recruit children into the cross-dressing handbag swinging "lifestyle" of homosexuality? (from your words, not mine )

Last edited by Ceist; 06-06-2009 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality