Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM

520 posts, read 895,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by our founding truth View Post
NEWSFLASH: This country's laws aren't based on Divine Law...again read your history book.>

I'd rather read the Founding Fathers who formed our nation.

"All human laws are null and void if contrary to the Divine Law"

--Alexander Hamilton
Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law.

-Thomas Jefferson

We could go tit for tat all day long on founding father quotes and how they relate to religion. Also, try and use the quote button when responding to another's posts, it will make your's much easier to follow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM

47 posts, read 55,310 times

-Thomas Jefferson>

The only problem with this is Jefferson was the only one out of all of them that believed that. The majority rules. Jefferson was an infidel, is not an authority for the Constitution because he didn't sign it.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Well, personally, I have better things to do with my time, besides monitoring my consenting adult neighbors' sexual behaviour, but, it's obvious that there are some folks who would love to have the job of "Peeping Tom", just so they can help God out, and keep our country safe. I wonder, would they plan on only snooping into the bedrooms of suspected homosexual couples, or would they peer in on anyone who might be suspected of having inappropriate sex, including those Christians who are engaged in "naughtiness" of their own? After all, according to Judeo-Christian teachings, any sex, outside of "one man/one woman", within the confines of marriage, is sinful. Some Christians even go so far as to believe that only missionary-style sex is appropriate, and that only for procreation. Are these fine arbiters of everyone else's morals planning on following every couple they see coming from a bar, or going into a motel room, or sitting in a vehicle? Are they going to canvass their neighborhoods, looking for as many sexual sinners as they can find? That's more than a little creepy. But, if they want to do a good job, I certainly hope they remember their binnoculars, and a bag of stones. Always be prepared, you know. Everyone, keep your blinds closed!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
Quote:

-Thomas Jefferson>

The only problem with this is Jefferson was the only one out of all of them that believed that. The majority rules. Jefferson was an infidel, is not an authority for the Constitution because he didn't sign it.
How about Ben Franklin? I'm sure you think of him as an "infidel" as well...

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies."

"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."

Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, personally, I have better things to do with my time, besides monitoring my consenting adult neighbors' sexual behaviour, but, it's obvious that there are some folks who would love to have the job of "Peeping Tom", just so they can help God out, and keep our country safe. I wonder, would they plan on only snooping into the bedrooms of suspected homosexual couples, or would they peer in on anyone who might be suspected of having inappropriate sex, including those Christians who are engaged in "naughtiness" of their own? After all, according to Judeo-Christian teachings, any sex, outside of "one man/one woman", within the confines of marriage, is sinful. Some Christians even go so far as to believe that only missionary-style sex is appropriate, and that only for procreation. Are these fine arbiters of everyone else's morals planning on following every couple they see coming from a bar, or going into a motel room, or sitting in a vehicle? Are they going to canvass their neighborhoods, looking for as many sexual sinners as they can find? That's more than a little creepy. But, if they want to do a good job, I certainly hope they remember their binnoculars, and a bag of stones. Always be prepared, you know. Everyone, keep your blinds closed!
You're looking at this from a different angle than what our people did the first 150 years. This is what you people can't understand. It seems so wrong to you because of the deviancy of society, and removal of Christianity in our culture. Once the Church is taken out of this evil world, God's judgment will commence.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:33 PM

How about Ben Franklin? I'm sure you think of him as an "infidel" as well...>

Franklin wasn't orthodox, but he believed the Common Law was part of Christianity! He affirmed Samuel Adams' Rights of the Colonists (1772)

Read the words of the ratifiers of our governing documents: Mason, Washington, Lee, Jay, Stockton, King, Bassett, Marshall, Iredell, Chase, Henry, et al.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
our founding truth wrote:
Quote:
There's one obvious problem with making homosexual sex illegal, there's no victim.>

There are many victims; themselves in sin, and the family members, and the community
That doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. It sounds like you're saying that if two consenting adults engage in homosexual behavior that their entire town has become the victim of a crime which is laughable.
Judging by the statements that you've made on this thread I honestly believe that your Christian beliefs have had a very detrimental affect on your judgement and your personality. Also, our legal system doesn't recognize anything called Divine Law. Our nation is designed to be neutral in matters of religion and there is no official state religion that promotes one religion over any others.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:02 PM

428 posts, read 800,324 times
It seems to me that one founding truth and others who believe like him (and I know and love some of them personally) basically want us to have a theocracy, not a democracy.

Iran is a theocracy. Take a close look...this is what you want? You do realize that a theocratic USA would not be much different in practice than a Muslim Iran? And I can say this with confidence because what you, OFT, and others like you are espousing in regards to homosexuality is exactly what is practiced in Iran and other terrorist-producing countries.

Really? This is what you want?

So where does it stop? How far into the private citizen's life do we go, seeking out homosexuals? How many personal liberties do we all give up to satisfy a self-righteous, nosy government?

I myself am a born-again, spirit-filled Christian. That is my personal faith and I try to do my best to let my light shine...but I have NO desire to FORCE this entire country to believe as I do.

Legislating morality is a dangerous and stupid thing, when it comes to something like the subject at hand.

Last edited by daddythreepointoh; 06-09-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:

-Thomas Jefferson>

The only problem with this is Jefferson was the only one out of all of them that believed that. The majority rules.
No he wasn't, but it doesn't matter.

The "Common Law" was ultimately descended from Roman Law and had nothing to do with The Bible or Christianity.

And BTW - NO, the majority doesn't rule. Not in a Republic.

Continue trying to turn this country into a Xian theocracy and you will find that out the hard way.. real quick-like

Old 06-09-2009, 03:58 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
NEWSFLASH: This country's laws aren't based on Divine Law...again read your history book.>

I'd rather read the Founding Fathers who formed our nation.

"All human laws are null and void if contrary to the Divine Law"

--Alexander Hamilton
Alexander Hamilton was a Deist....SURPRISE!!!!! Many of the "Founding Fathers" were Deists, Freemasons, or both.

16% of the signers of the Declaration were Freemasons
William Ellery
Benjamin Franklin
John Hancock
Joseph Hewes
William Hooper
Robert Treat Paine
Richard Stockton
George Walton
William Whipple

33% of the signers of the Constitution were Freemasons
Guning Bedford Jr
John Blair
David Brearly
Jacob Broom
Daniel Carrol
Jonathan Dayton
John Dickinson
Benjamin Franklin
Nicholas Gilman
Rufus King
James McHenry
William Paterson
George Washington

46% of the Generals in the Continental Army were Freemasons (I'm not going to go through all the names but 33 of the 74 Generals were Freemasons)

Other notable non-Christians who were instrumental to the founding of the United States were:

John Adams - Deist
Thomas Paine - Desit
Samual Adams - Deist
Ethan Allen - Deist
Alexander Hamilton -Deist
Thomas Jefferson - Deist
James Madison - Deist

This whole BS about this being a Christian Nation is just that -- BS. Freemasonry had a FAR more reaching influence than Christianity. Shoot, I'm a Comanche Indian and I know that (they are YOUR Founding Fathers - not mine). But keep believing your own propaganda.

As to the original question, IF this god (whatever it is and if it exists) has a problem with gays, then it will deal with it. I really don't know why some folks can't just leave those people alone and mind their own dang business. The government needs to stay out of people's way. The liberals are digging in your pocketbook; the Christian conservatives are digging into your personal life. I am tired of both of them.

Last edited by Fullback32; 06-09-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality