Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:45 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,279,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
This is definately right on. I'll never forget the time I told some guy that my parents were pastors of a church, and he goes "Whoa! They must be loaded!"
Are you flipping KIDDING me? They were grossly overworked and underpaid. They pastored-and still do-a small church, and as their child I can tell you that while we never wanted for anything (came close, but God provided), we were anything but rich. Heck, we even lived in a bus that had been converted into a motor home at one point. Not exactly the Bakkers.
I think a lot of pastors fall in this category, Jeff. The clergy gets a bad rap these days, I think. Sure, there are some that are abusing their positions but for the most part, I think most of them are hard-working, Godly people who are trying to serve God the best they know how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,203,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think a lot of pastors fall in this category, Jeff. The clergy gets a bad rap these days, I think. Sure, there are some that are abusing their positions but for the most part, I think most of them are hard-working, Godly people who are trying to serve God the best they know how.
Amen to that!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,820,436 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with the church community providing housing and cost of living expenses for their clergy. The money grubbing tele-evangelists are giving the good guys a bad name.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:27 PM

137 posts, read 436,182 times
Alpha,

I will look to find the exact spot where I read it; till then, accept this passage,

The Acts Chapter 8; 18-20.

The fact is only the priests who labored in the temple could live off of the foods/sacrifices given.

As far as those missionaries were concerned ( the apostles and others) they could except gifts, but could not ask for them nor require them! The gospel is taught without price!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
kaiser wrote:
Quote:
The gospel is taught without price!
After looking at your first post it sounds like you're saying that a minister shouldn't be getting any paycheck whatsoever. Life is different in the twentyfirst century than it was a couple of thousand years ago and you're making it sound like a minister is doing something wrong if they accept any compensation whatsoever. If our ministers were reduced to the level of street beggars I don't think you'd see too many people signing up! These people have families and needs just like everyone else. I'm afraid that this is an example of quoting a passage from the Bible and taking it to the extreme.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,279,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kaiser wrote:

After looking at your first post it sounds like you're saying that a minister shouldn't be getting any paycheck whatsoever. Life is different in the twentyfirst century than it was a couple of thousand years ago and you're making it sound like a minister is doing something wrong if they accept any compensation whatsoever. If our ministers were reduced to the level of street beggars I don't think you'd see too many people signing up! These people have families and needs just like everyone else. I'm afraid that this is an example of quoting a passage from the Bible and taking it to the extreme.
Actually the above quoted passage of Acts 8 refers to someone who wanted to pay the apostles for the gift of the Holy Spirit. This is much different IMO than earning your living from the gospel.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,251 times
Ministers, Priest, Bishops, whatever should not get compensation from the church unless they are doing it 24/7 which I don't know of a whole lot who are. What is wrong with a priest holding down a regular full time job outside of church?

Old 06-20-2007, 06:33 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,525,709 times
A pastor, preacher, minister, overseer, whatever they are called are for the most part very deserving of any salary they can make..Their job not only is to bring a message on Sunday morningd, but they visit hospitals, nursing homes shutins and are on call 24 hours a day for anyone who may need them for the death of a beloved member of his congregation. The perform weddings, etc,etc. IMO a good preacher deserves his salary. If it happens to be a wealthy church, as some we have attended they also have some health insurance..

Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,616 times
My first impulse is to say that the Catholic ones should get checks from the Vatican (Corporate Headquarters, which is probably swimming in more than Bill Gates and Trump are) to cover personal needs & upkeep. Nothing from collections.
But where does the Vatican get the dough? Does a portion of all collections go to them? From even the poorer parishes?

Can only give a Catholic opinion, that's the one I was in.

Blue, the church my parents supported BIG time for decades "recommended" minimum of such and such $$$ for our priests to marry my sisters. When my parents married in the '50s, it was "well over a hundred dollars" according to my Dad. But I know all churches aren't as greedy as ours.

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-20-2007 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 07:17 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,894,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Actually the above quoted passage of Acts 8 refers to someone who wanted to pay the apostles for the gift of the Holy Spirit. This is much different IMO than earning your living from the gospel.
You're absolutely right. Simon the Sorcerer was trying to buy the apostles 'magic'. That passage has absolutely nothing to do with compensation for ministers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality