Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Is it family? Is it society? How do we know what is right and wrong?
When I was five or six some kid a little bigger than me took my popsicle.
Several thoughts occurred simultaneously (sic?).

1) That is my popsicle.
2) Taking it was wrong.
3) Not everyone cares.
4) Mom wasn't there.
If I wanted it back, I'd have to take it back.

This has stood the test of time pretty well.
But where it came from I have no idea.

Last edited by robertjohnson; 07-29-2009 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Two dogs humping in my yard caused a near riot and I posted prematurly in error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:44 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The only one that exists, the God of Abraham, Issaic and Jaccob. The God of the Christian bible, the God of the Torah. The one we refer to as Jesus Christ.
Oh then you must really mean Enlil and Mithras - the two your dynamic duo father and son team were ripped off of?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I am glad that you at least accept a small amout of the word of God to base your morality from.

Jesus said Matthew 7:12: Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
Oh you mean Buddhism and Paganism? Both of them had "the golden rule" long before Jesus was a ever heard of.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
BTW what is wrong with slavery? Today we call it work! If you had the money would you get a butler or maid? Would you have a cleaning company wash you clothes? There is nothing wrong with slavery, there is something however wrong with the opressive and maltreatment of slaves like in the American South in the past (with that said not all slave owners in the south were opressive and miss treated their slaves).
Behold the Judeo-Christian "values" this country was supposedly founded upon. Thank GOD we defeated these values in the civil war.

"BTW what is wrong with slavery? Today we call it work!"

(No, today we call it religion)

Old 07-29-2009, 05:33 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Morality is how we act. There have been many righteous slave owners.
Wow...seriously? Really? So let me get this straight. You Christians say that even thinking wrong can damn you. You say Christians make "mistakes", but are forgiven if they repent of them. Now if we agree that slavery is immoral, therefore a sin, then a person who is/was actively engaged in the immoral act of slavery has not made a mistake nor repented of it. That being the case, the person cannot be said to be righteous.

You've said some outrageous things, but that pretty much takes the cake.

BTW, work is not slavery. Slavery is the ownership of another human being without pay. Slaves are property, not employees. From what you wrote, I take it you think that so long as the slave owner treats the slave as good as, say the family dog, then he is righteous? Wow.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Is it family? Is it society? How do we know what is right and wrong?
I completely agree with agnostic soldier's answer on page one (completely ignored by kdbrich on his anti-atheism crusade for some reason ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Someone's sense of what is right and wrong comes from two sources, irregardless of what religious(or lack there of) affiliation they belong to. The first source is an evolved moral sense. Someone's evolved moral sense is the idea of someone feeling good when they do something good and bad when they do something bad. The other source is the moral zeitgeist. The moral zeitgeist is the morals of the given culture. An example of this would be how America once considered slavery to be an acceptable practice, although now it is considered to be something heinus.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 737 times
Hey, i've only read a few of the posts here, but i want to apologize if the Christians here have been anything other than loving in their responses. I completely understand a nihilistic worldview if one doesn't believe in God that's all there is, right? I would just say that not everybody who spouts off the name of Jesus speaks for Him and that sometimes fervor trumps intelligent discourse. It's your choice not to believe in the Creator God and Father. But, there is always that 'what if?' I challenge you guys to simply go to God and sincerely ask if He's there and to show you. If He's not, you've lost maybe thirty seconds. If God is there, question answered. Much love and respect, Chad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality