Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:18 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,220 times

Advertisements

I have been deeply disappointed to read some threads and also individual postings where people have written with glee about having been able to take advantage of someone else or a situation.

Moderator cut: personal attack

It makes me sick and so angry to see people with such low standards who also expose and involve their children in their dishonesty
Look at the threads and see what people write and see how often they take pride in beating the system, cheating other people, skimming on responsibility and feeling proud of their evasion techniques.
If this is just a relatively small group of people on a forum board, imagine how many people like this are around?
Read postings carefully and you'll see the hypocrisy.
I think we need to call people on it and I despise those who applaud the dishonesty, think it's funny, don't condemn it, and allow that person to go unchallenged.
My rant is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 12:18 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Have to agree with you, friend. I think it's important to let them know that it's NOT all right. And that's probably they're here posting their exploits. They may be wanting approval for what they know is wrong...it's important to speak up and say they are.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:24 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,416 times
I have not read that post, but I would agree that sometimes what people do appall me. I don't think I have ever stole anything in my life...and I know that I have received extra money back and have ALWAYS given it back.

I think the only thing I have posted that I did wrong was trick policemen who have pulled me over in the past...but I also did admit that it was over 10 years ago, and that I know it is wrong now, but I was much younger and dumber then.

I don't even think I want to read that post.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,204,524 times
i once drove off,,from a convenience store,,without paying for my gas (45)
i got to gabbing with another customer,,and clerk didnt ask if i gas, and just paid for the coffee,,,well a mile down the road,,i realised i didnt pay for the gas!! so i turned right around,,,marched in, gave the clerk the money and sincerely apologized to the clerk, and the owner.

you cant outrun karma...its best to do good deeds and be as honest as you can,,,

Old 04-23-2007, 05:03 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Not only do many take pride in cheating and stealing, they love to brag about their drinking and how many shots they can "down" and how they look when they're drunk. "Drunk" is very unattractive to say the least. And has anyone every tried to reason with one? That has always absolutely driven me crazy that adults can be so stupid. I can only hope these people don't have children as well as they will pass their immaturity and stupidity down to them and lessen our value system even more. Again, !!

Great post, MoMark. There are some of us out there that don't lead "double" lives but as you mentioned, there are far too many that do. One thing I've noticed is that a clerk that makes a change error is so apologetic and pleased as well when someone brings that to her attention. I once had a young teen say to me, "Thank you so much for being honest. You made my day." And her statement made mine.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:17 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,362 times
Mark, I agree with you 110%
Involving innocent children is no answer. No matter how petty you may think the situation is.

But then again, some people aren't born with that "parenting" gene.. so they don't deserve to have kids at all.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
I've been taken aback by posts displaying bigotry, also fear of other people and other countries. I've shaken my head a time or two, especially when I see some posters rate such high approval.
However, I imagine I've caused a few people to grimly shake their heads as well.
While I've said a thing or two, I don't "get into it" too much with other posters.
I only have so much energy.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
MoMark, I can feel your frustration, but the best way to deal with these situations and people is to show them the correct behavior without going for the jugular. If you attack, people will become defensive and stop listening. That's just human nature. I'd rather try a gentler approach in hopes of teaching those people something, rather than them just having the knee jerk reaction of, "Wow, don't know what happened to her! Maybe she's PMSing or something." It's better to get people to think about what they're really doing, because they're the only ones who can correct their own behavior.

I feel very strongly about many issues, and haven't hesitated to state my opinion, but at the same time I don't do it from a position of high moral authority. The only true higher authority is God, of course, and I can't do His job for Him!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:18 AM

282 posts, read 1,263,969 times
Honestly, i'm more leery of people that stand on a morality soapbox.

Everyone has skeletons in their closet whether they choose to admit it or not. I try not to judge people or their actions. I know that there's times that I do, but for the most part I leave judgement up to that person and their own conscience.

The moral majority is neither.
I saw that on a bumper sticker once. I love it!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:59 AM

23,013 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I have been deeply disappointed to read some threads and also individual postings where people have written with glee about having been able to take advantage of someone else or a situation.

It makes me sick and so angry to see people with such low standards who also expose and involve their children in their dishonesty
Look at the threads and see what people write and see how often they take pride in beating the system, cheating other people, skimming on responsibility and feeling proud of their evasion techniques.
If this is just a relatively small group of people on a forum board, imagine how many people like this are around?
Read postings carefully and you'll see the hypocrisy.
I think we need to call people on it and I despise those who applaud the dishonesty, think it's funny, don't condemn it, and allow that person to go unchallenged.
My rant is over.
I also agree completely on this! How sad that people can cheat and lie and then feel good about it Maybe we all remember that even if you think you got away with it....God knows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality