Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:23 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,144,115 times

Advertisements

Why do people always coincidently mistake judging an action with judging the person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 06:34 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Why do people always coincidently mistake judging an action with judging the person?
Actually, the OP didn't limit his judgement to the action. He stated: I despise those who applaud the dishonesty, think it's funny, don't condemn it, and allow that person to go unchallenged.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Actually, the OP didn't limit his judgement to the action. He stated: I despise those who applaud the dishonesty, think it's funny, don't condemn it, and allow that person to go unchallenged.

Why do people post information about their personal lives here, if not to get feedback from others? If you don't want to hear the thoughts and opinions of other people (which may include judgements of morals), then write in a diary. To me, the quote above isn't even addressing a poster who might be a good person with questionable morals; the OP is judging a person who "applauds" or finds humor in dishonesty. I think there is a serious problem in today's society with being too forgiving of people who do seriously wrong things. Men cheat and it's okay, blame it on the media pushing sexual content. A wife shoots and kills her husband but it's okay because he was mean to her. Students cheat and it's okay, blame it on pressure from parents. It's not always good to be judgemental, but going to the opposite extreme and letting everything go is wrong, too.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:52 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,225,338 times
Good post MoMark. When I think back to my younger years, there was always the difference between right and wrong (at least in our home). We knew how we were expected to speak and act, and that upbringing taught me how to treat people and raise my children. Did we, as a society, lose that somewhere?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Good post MoMark. When I think back to my younger years, there was always the difference between right and wrong (at least in our home). We knew how we were expected to speak and act, and that upbringing taught me how to treat people and raise my children. Did we, as a society, lose that somewhere?
Sadly I think some have.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:41 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Sadly I think some have.
No, I don't think so. What I do think, is that society has become so pompous and self-righteous that some people feel no matter what their own closets look like, that it is their right to judge other people and their actions. To play the holier than thou card and act as if they've never done a single thing wrong or questionable in their own lives.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I do not want to cause anyone any trouble, or be a crybaby..just venting..Everytime I start a thread or post in my home state it seems to start all kinds of hate remarks about the area I live in, and the more I defend, the more negativity we get..I have a feeling at least one of the posters has a split personality if you know what I mean..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-24-2007 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,989,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
No, I don't think so. What I do think, is that society has become so pompous and self-righteous that some people feel no matter what their own closets look like, that it is their right to judge other people and their actions. To play the holier than thou card and act as if they've never done a single thing wrong or questionable in their own lives.
You've missed the point completely. The subject is basic. If you are told by someone that he or she has cheated someone else, according to your postings, calling him or her on it is "pompous, self-righteous, and holier than thou".
So your apparent solution and preference is to ignore any deceit or dishonesty because to call someone on it is "judgemental".
I'll bet if it were you who was the victim of someone taking advantage of you your tune would change in a heartbeat.
Ex. You set your purse next to you on a commuter train to use both hands for something else. In that purse is your wallet with let's say $100 and all your ID. You've become distracted by whatever you're thinking about and lose track of where you are with train stops...just suddenly realizing you're at your stop and you have to scram to make the doors before they close.
In doing so, you forgot your purse.
The train goes on.
At the next stop someone takes the seat you vacated and notices the purse and opens it up and sees your ID and cash and whatever else you have in it.
That person is one of two types of people: Honest or dishonest.
If you're lucky the person is honest, he or she will use your ID to call you and tell you he or she has your purse and work with you to make arrangements to pick it up. Tell me you wouldn't be grateful and relieved?
But then again, like some posters here, you may be unfortunate in who sat in your vacated seat and found your purse. It may be a person who sees it as "finders keepers". Your ID then means nothing and at that person's stop, it gets tossed into the trash.
The $100 is a lucky bonanza for this person and he or she has no hesitation to stick it into his or her own pocket...after all, finders keepers and weren't you the stupid one to not better protect your property to begin with.
Hmmmm, credit cards...let's do some spending, after all, finders keepers.

Which person are you? Let's say the police somehow catch this person...are you going to judge him or her as immoral? Or, does that conflict too much with your "holier than thou" stance on judgement?

I think you need to ask yourself those questions and put the topic into perspective instead of unilaterally declaring all judgement as pompous, self-righteousness, holier than thou, etc.
You would sing a different tune if you were the victim, but.... you'd also be a hypocrite. So if it were to happen to you judging by your postings here, the lost purse on the train scenario, for you to maintain your integrity and not be a hypocrite, you'd have to say to yourself: "Oh well, that's life" and move on.
Somehow I doubt that would be your reaction.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:07 AM

800 posts, read 4,299,005 times
I guess I just take what resonates with me and I toss the rest when reading some of the posts here. I mean, to give an example, many people on the L.A. message board disparaged my goal of moving to So. Cal. and said I'd never afford it, without even knowing my financial situation, etc. Well, I can afford it, so I didn't let the negativity drag me down.

People are entitled to their views, even if we disagree with them There's some food for thought. And, if I am offended by something, I'm making the choice to be offended. So, I choose not to be offended by some of the negative posts, etc.

I remember reading a thread recently on the Michigan message board about how the drunk driving laws are too tough and well, 'inhumane.' It was hard not to laugh inside at the logic of it, but I didn't personally attack the poster. I just stated how I felt and what was my own personal truth Eventually, the conversation went away. No one focused on it and so, there was no energy to it. I believe what you focus on will persist LOL.

So, for me, I just read certain things and I'll toss it aside. If I am familiar with the poster and they've done it in the past, I just won't read their posts...kinda like not reading a certain author or listening to a certain news show, etc. You can choose

With respect,
L

Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 AM

322 posts, read 1,234,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I have been deeply disappointed to read some threads and also individual postings where people have written with glee about having been able to take advantage of someone else or a situation.

Moderator cut: personal attack

It makes me sick and so angry to see people with such low standards who also expose and involve their children in their dishonesty
Moderator cut: personal attack
Look at the threads and see what people write and see how often they take pride in beating the system, cheating other people, skimming on responsibility and feeling proud of their evasion techniques.
If this is just a relatively small group of people on a forum board, imagine how many people like this are around?
Read postings carefully and you'll see the hypocrisy.
I think we need to call people on it and I despise those who applaud the dishonesty, think it's funny, don't condemn it, and allow that person to go unchallenged.
My rant is over.

I agree, but I think alot of it is just to get a reaction. When they post stuff like this they expect confrontation. What they are saying may or may not be truth, I think they're just looking for people's reactions. Trying to get a rise out of people. Pushing people's buttons on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality