Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your religion?
Agnostic 9 10.34%
Atheist 28 32.18%
Buddhist 1 1.15%
Catholic - Non-Practicing 4 4.60%
Catholic - Practicing 8 9.20%
Jewish - Observant 2 2.30%
Jewish - "Cultural" 0 0%
Hindu 0 0%
Muslim 0 0%
Pagan 2 2.30%
Protestant - Practicing 9 10.34%
Protestant - Non-Practicing 1 1.15%
"Spiritual" 11 12.64%
Other 12 13.79%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, if everybody had simply stated their own preferences without offering up a diatribe, it would have been fine.
True. These threads just have this magical way of getting derailed, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Tree hugging, dirt loving, goddess worshipping pagan.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It's inevitable. You start a religion poll, you're always going to eventually get a diatribe from the "Organized religion is crap" people. If it were a thread about atheism, you'd get the analogous diatribe from random zealots sooner or later. There's always somebody ready to pounce, whichever side of the fence you're standing on.

I don't know. I've been interested in religion all my life, and it's been personally meaningful to me. But I've never at all identified with others who felt the need to argue that what they believe is right (or, conversely, that what others believe is wrong). I'm of the opinion that, who cares? I believe what I believe, and what the rest of the world believes is pretty immaterial to me. It's a personal thing.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
non-practicing Catholic ever since the church allowed priest to touch little boys.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's inevitable. You start a religion poll, you're always going to eventually get a diatribe from the "Organized religion is crap" people. If it were a thread about atheism, you'd get the analogous diatribe from random zealots sooner or later. There's always somebody ready to pounce, whichever side of the fence you're standing on.
There is a little difference, though. Short of let's say Stalin and some others (and only in fairly recent history), not too much damage has been done in the name of atheism.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
But, without opening up an entire can of worms, you mean to tell me that you're going to base your entire set of views on faith because of what a small minority of clergy did in one denomination? Heck, why not avoid eating in any restaurant because Jack-in-the-Box had e.coli problems a few years back? I mean, Ford knowingly sold Pintos that were firetraps in the 70s. Does that mean you refuse to buy a Toyota?

Heck, even in the relationship forum, there are posters here who crap on the opposite sex because of the actions of their former love interest. And you're using essentially the same logic. I respect you a lot, Chow, but think of this as food for thought.
I understand that on the surface it does seem stupid to penalize a whole religion because of the actions of a few.

I'm just running my mouth off. I just get frustrated with things at times. Yes, I understand that there are many priest out there that are trying to do good. Not all are bad obviously.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
There is a little difference, though. Short of let's say Stalin and some others (and only in fairly recent history), not too much damage has been done in the name of atheism.
That may be...but what I'm talking about is the reality that there will always be people who feel the need to bray on and on that their perspective is the only valid one and that you're wrong...regardless of where on the spectrum that perspective lies.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:26 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I've not seen a lot of beauty or inspiration out of those committed to the ideology that life has no greater meaning or purpose sans reproducing to keep the species alive.

slowly walks away from the thread.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
There are divisions even within the same church?! Good grief! One would think the glorified religion should contribute to uniting people, not to dividing them further. Not that it's ever been the case... More people have been killed in the name of some god than for any other reason. Of course, that inspiration has always been given to the dummies covering the real reasons, which can be found by following the money.
Sure, there are sects within specific religions...funny, I know.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
On the contrary, I've not seen a lot of beauty or inspiration out of those committed to the ideology that life has no greater meaning or purpose sans reproducing to keep the species alive.

slowly walks away from the thread.
Could you elaborate, please, 'cause your mind must still be foggy? It's usually the religious people who insist on reproducing to keep the species alive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality