Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 AM

198 posts, read 910,826 times

Advertisements

Religion is from man, theology and spirituality is from God. These are vastly different. Religion is tainted with perceptions based off of what is relative to man, our experiences, our differences our biases.
Jesus Christ was real and tried to show us the deity of ourselves. We took this and twisted it, God forbid man knows of his own greatness. We need religion to keep order and law. Religion is man's answer to it's conscious for losing itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,750,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach07 View Post
Religion is from man, theology and spirituality is from God. These are vastly different. Religion is tainted with perceptions based off of what is relative to man, our experiences, our differences our biases.
Jesus Christ was real and tried to show us the deity of ourselves. We took this and twisted it, God forbid man knows of his own greatness. We need religion to keep order and law. Religion is man's answer to it's conscious for losing itself.
I am nothing apart from Christ, God is the deity, so how are we?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach07 View Post
I agree that there is a lot in religion that is man made. But we (LDS) believe that the philosphies of our church do come from God.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 PM

740 posts, read 2,015,095 times
My point was... and I guess that I didn't make it very well... was that Satan wanted to be like God.. he actually wanted to be God... (Isa 14:14) and that is was his downfall. He uses lies.. to tell you that you too can become like God or you can become a god.. Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Mormonism say the same thing?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:05 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
My point was... and I guess that I didn't make it very well... was that Satan wanted to be like God.. he actually wanted to be God... (Isa 14:14) and that is was his downfall. He uses lies.. to tell you that you too can become like God or you can become a god.. Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Mormonism say the same thing?
No you're not wrong.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:23 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,203,921 times
IMHO, in general I consider Mormonism to be a false branch of Christianity. The Bible says quite clearly not to add to or take away from the Word of God. What then is the Book of Mormon? Oh right, Jesus appeared in North America in the 1800's and then the angel Moroni (or whatever it was) appeared with gold plates to Joseph Smith and he translated the Book of Mormon from that but nobody else saw Jesus or the angel or the gold plates.

Ahem.

That being said, no one ever knows where someone else is with God. I have known some Mormon's to be "better Christians" than traditional Christians I've known! The bottom line is, if they whole heartedly love God and serve Him as best they know how, I believe God would be a monster to not honor that. And He is not.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:32 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,526,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
You are wrong, but not in the sense that Mormons do not believe they can be God-like. Satan wanted Gods glory. In effect, he wanted to replace God or be equal. Although the LDS believe they can attain a God-like status, they clearly understand they will always be subordinate to the God of the Bible and He determines what our roles will be.

It is virtually impossible to discuss this topic, because your frame of reference is restricted to the Bible, and based on what you have posted in the past, I disagree with how you and other folks interpret some Bible scripture. Not meaning to imply anger, but I can see there is no further point discussing this particular topic, because the LDS belief system is simply different. I know you think that Satan is at the core of the LDS faith and that's OK. Suffice it to say that based on my reading of the Bible and the prophecies therein, I am comfortable that the LDS Church is on the right track.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:51 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,526,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
IMHO, in general I consider Mormonism to be a false branch of Christianity. The Bible says quite clearly not to add to or take away from the Word of God. What then is the Book of Mormon? Oh right, Jesus appeared in North America in the 1800's and then the angel Moroni (or whatever it was) appeared with gold plates to Joseph Smith and he translated the Book of Mormon from that but nobody else saw Jesus or the angel or the gold plates.
Actually, there are sworn declarations of witnesses who saw and touched the plates. Oliver Cowdery, who was one of the original scribes, fell away from the Church for a number of years and practiced law. While inactive, Oliver was confronted in open court by another attorney regarding his early association with the Church. Oliver swore in open court that he had conversed with ancient prophets during visions and had seen and handled the plates. Additionally, he openly declared he could not deny what he had experienced lest he be accused of denying God.

None of this is LDS lore; it is all a matter of public record. Take if for what you think it’s worth.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
No you're not wrong.
Ok then.. Since God cast satan out of heaven because of this.... Is it possible that you are worshiping another god if you believe this way? Maybe the god of this world? satan? It just seems to me that God made it perfectly clear that this kind of thinking was not going to be tolerated.... Infact, punishment was swift and harsh for the angel above all angels? Do you think that it is going to be any better for you? I am just asking.. I don't know how you could justify your religion if that is the case.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:19 PM

2 Thessalonians 2:3-12
3 Don't be fooled by what they say.For that day will not come until there is a great rebellion against God and the man of lawlessness is revealed – the one who brings destruction. F5 4 He will exalt himself and defy every god there is and tear down every object of adoration and worship. He will position himself in the temple of God, claiming that he himself is God. 5 Don't you remember that I told you this when I was with you? 6 And you know what is holding him back, for he can be revealed only when his time comes. 7 For this lawlessness is already at work secretly, and it will remain secret until the one who is holding it back steps out of the way. 8 Then the man of lawlessness will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will consume with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 This evil man will come to do the work of Satan with counterfeit power and signs and miracles. 10 He will use every kind of wicked deception to fool those who are on their way to destruction because they refuse to believe the truth that would save them. 11 So God will send great deception upon them, and they will believe all these lies. 12 Then they will be condemned for not believing the truth and for enjoying the evil they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality