Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 02:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,801,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, I believe the problem with the Epic of Gilgamesh, is it gives the wrong location for the Ark of Noah.
Well that's probably because it is the original story and it isn't the ark of Noah, but the ark of Upnatishtim. Noah was the character the authors of The Bible wrote into their (much later) version of the myth. Just like they did with all the other myths they plagiarized.

Quote:
It places the Ark on a mountain 200 miles south of Ararat. Yet, the only place where the eyewitness accounts see the Ark, is near the top of Mt. Ararat. Now Gilgamesh may of gotten the story out first, yet the Bible is the only Book that accurately gives the details of the Arks last location.
Since there are no legitimate eyewitness accounts of any ark (namely because no such ark ever really existed), your statement is moot and pretty ridiculous.

FYI - there is nothing accurate or original in The Bible - it is all ripped off from earlier works.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,801,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Genesis is first, not the epic of Gilgamesh.
NOPE, Genesis, like the rest of the Bible was ripped off of the myths and legends of the Sumerians and in some parts, Egyptians. The Epic of Gilgamesh predates genesis by almost a thousand years if not more.. same with the Ehuma Elish (from which the Biblical creation story was lifted), and The Egyptian Book of The Dead (the source for the ten commandments). Nothing in your Bible is original material. Sorry!

Quote:
From Noah came all that inhabit the earth. So, for every culture to have a reference to the global flood is reasonable, which they do.
No, they do not. And even of they did, that does not make the Biblical version the default or original, which hard evidence demonstrates that it plainly is not.

Quote:
Genesis was compiled by Moses, not written by him.
Genesis was written by various bronze age priests who drew heavily from existing source material passed down orally from the earlier Sumerian myths. There was no Moses or Noah.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,933,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Here's a simple mathematical / ecological question for our dedicated Christian friends who continue to argue with their logical rebuttals on a daily basis, against Evolution and ecology:

HOW MANY ORGANISMS (PLANT AND ANIMAL, BIG AND SMALL) DID NOAH HAVE TO BRING ONTO THE ARK TO ENSURE THEIR LATER ECOLOGICALLY AND REPRODUCTIVELY SUCCESSFUL RE-INTRODUCTION AFTER 18 MONTHS ONBOARD, WITH, APPARENTLY NO LOSSES?

A REAL simple question, right? If you don't understand it though, please, oh please, ask for clarification.
Hmmm... no takers yet on this simple question. (I can calculate it up in about 4 minutes.). Well, maybe they're off getting batteries for their calculators.

Or consulting with their ministers/priests/fathers/pastors or AiG on just how to evade this simple, RELALY SIMPLE calculation.

Night all!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,198,452 times
How about a tough question or two...

I hope Noah was smart enough to separate the males and females, especially of short lived creatures that have big litters like mice or rabbits for instance. That might have been a problem because there are 4,500 species of mammals known today, and in Noah's time probably a lot more considering extinctions...9,000 separate enclosures for just the mammals.

8,500 species of birds....That's another 17,000 cages. 6,400 amphibians...12,800 more cages....8,900 reptiles....Some of these are rather big...Another 17,800 cages...Lord only knows what Noah did about the insects.

All of these creatures had to be fed, watered and have their cages swamped out.

I'd like to see a list of provisions Noah would have had to gather for a 180 day voyage....Add it up Campbell or Nikk, and give me some answers please.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:07 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,057,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How about a tough question or two...

I hope Noah was smart enough to separate the males and females, especially of short lived creatures that have big litters like mice or rabbits for instance. That might have been a problem because there are 4,500 species of mammals known today, and in Noah's time probably a lot more considering extinctions...9,000 separate enclosures for just the mammals.

8,500 species of birds....That's another 17,000 cages. 6,400 amphibians...12,800 more cages....8,900 reptiles....Some of these are rather big...Another 17,800 cages...Lord only knows what Noah did about the insects.

All of these creatures had to be fed, watered and have their cages swamped out.

I'd like to see a list of provisions Noah would have had to gather for a 180 day voyage....Add it up Campbell or Nikk, and give me some answers please.
Poor captain Noah and family must have had a real crappy voyage with all them mosquitoes seeing they were the only hosts for "food"? Instinctively we swat a fly or mossie so they must have shown some real restraint. With their relatively short lifespans, they sure must have had their work cut out for them?

I guess that is why we have electric fly swatters today?

Hmm I wonder if the Noadic family were immune to malaria?

Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM

73 posts, read 119,490 times
Well, at least we know what they fed on

Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,198,452 times
Old Noah would have a tough time keeping the birds, amphibians and insectivores from munching those mosquitoes and other insects I think...

I started my provisions list....Based on the average size mammal, a sheep which requires 6 pounds of fodder per day and the fact that all the predators turned vegetarian....19,440,000 pounds of food would be needed for the mammals...Oh, darn it all I plumb forgot about those dinosaurs.....We would probably have to double that figure at least....They were big dudes.

I think the ark is already sunk!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:53 PM

73 posts, read 119,490 times
An Ark was never built

Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,057,629 times
Lets not forget this whole flood myth comes from the premise that before the fludd, there was no rain whatsoever. Teh buybull states that mists arose from the ground.

What is interesting in all this, we all know how rain happens, evaporation (boiling water lets off water vapour), condensation (teh little beads of water on the lid of a pot) and precipitation (the beads of water running off back into the pot) Even 2000 years ago, maybe not in the ME desert but certainly any culture living in mountainous regions would have seen how clouds form and the resultant precipitation. I am sure someone must have come to the conclusion - all except the ME goatherders who likely only saw the dark ominous clouds well after they had formed and become thunderheads. They obviously observed that when water is spilled on the ground, it sinks away (going to the fountains of teh deep no doubt)

Unless uncle noah built his ark on high ground, the beasties would not come to him. Look at the tsunami in 2004 and how the beasties all moved to higher ground before the waves struck? I guess that instinct is directly related to teh great fludd?

If there was no rain before the fludd, how then were there rivers in the garden of eden? Aaah these irritating factoids that science has shown us "how stuff works"

Old 10-09-2009, 02:52 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,933,218 times
Default Logic/Magic/Logic/Magic... Dum Dee dumb....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezusxtain View Post
An Ark was never built
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur;
I think the ark is already sunk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky;
Genesis was written by various bronze age priests who drew heavily from existing source material passed down orally from the earlier Sumerian myths. There was no Moses or Noah.

Stop it! You guys keep interrupting with Logic! Damn you!

This has nothing to do with Logic! Their god just "Diddit!"

Hmmm... rhymes with "Magic!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality