Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times

Advertisements

OP: I would not attend this meeting but would love to see it on tv.

As the conventional wisdom goes, one should not discuss religion/culture/politics in face-to-face polite company. That is why we have City Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:09 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
You get a kind of mental image of what people might be like in person after you've exchanged a few posts with them. I really think it would be interesting to actually meet everyone in person for a drink (with alcohol or not depending on your preference) and see if my mental image is correct. Of course this isn't a practical idea because we have people from all over the world but wouldn't it be a kick if it could be done? There's a few people who would be in each other's face in less than ten seconds who shall remain nameless. I could see a fist fight breaking out or at least a shouting match developing very quickly.
There's actually quite a few believers who I think I'd get along with quite well. I expect I'd hit it off with virtually all of my fellow atheists. There are a few people who I don't think would like me though and I expect there's a few I wouldn't care for either although I generally tend to get alone with people very well.
Anyway, I think it would be a riot if it could happen. In fact it could turn into a literal riot involving intervention by the police accompanied by national headlines, arrests, trips to the emergency room, etc. if a few people are as tightly wound as I picture them to be. I think it would be fun though, don't you?
It's not a REAL party unless someone the cops show up and someone goes to jail and/or the hospital.

But I'd have a drink with ya anytime, Montana.

(edit) looks like this is a pretty old offer though... Does it still stand?

Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,862 times
I would think the Atheist and Agnostics would do fine, I don’t think the believers would like the Happy Hour. They would have already sinned by just being with us, and if they started preaching there would be some verbal bloodshed for sure..

Old 01-05-2010, 04:04 PM

241 posts, read 267,519 times
Nah...I have plenty of believers as friends in real life. None of them try to convert me...if they did, we wouldn't be friends anymore. Most people can live and let live.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
Chango wrote:
Quote:
But I'd have a drink with ya anytime, Montana.
Thanks, if you're ever in the Nashville area we'll have to have a drink or ten.
I see this is one of my older threads and it got started up again today. It was mainly intended for humor but I do think there would be a few people who might end up wrestling around on the bar room floor based on the posts that I've read.
Also, as I said in the OP, it would be interesting to see if the people we've been talking to on the internet anonymously would be similar to the mental image we're created for them.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirriam View Post
Nah...I have plenty of believers as friends in real life. None of them try to convert me...if they did, we wouldn't be friends anymore. Most people can live and let live.
Seriously. This is what my happy hours have been for two decades! No one's gotten hurt so far, even when we get into "fightin' territory".

Old 11-14-2016, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 907 times
I'd say that since we are all human and psychologically believe we are right even when we aren't that most likely a meeting of this manner would yes indeed end in bloodshed

Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It wouldn't be the atheists that started any bloodshed...
Yeah it'll be those dirty religious people! They're always the ones trying to start things.

Do you see the problem with this?

Old 11-14-2016, 09:10 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Yeah it'll be those dirty religious people! They're always the ones trying to start things.

Do you see the problem with this?
Arizona Woman Shoots And Kills Atheist For Not Believing In God

I don't trust anyone that is a professed sinner

Old 11-14-2016, 09:38 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

I don't trust anyone that is a professed sinner
Perhaps you missed the point?

If someone asks you "Would there likely be a fight between you and them" and your first comment is to say that the other side would start it, then you are actually the one fueling the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality