Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 AM

47 posts, read 77,978 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, I've heard that some jews Identify as Atheist but I ask how are the two even remotely compatible? Shouldn't the two be polar opposites? Doesn't saying I'm a Atheist Jew render you neither? How can one be a Atheist Theist at the sametime? I don't mean you were born jewish and became atheist and left behind judaism but still say i'm jewish no I mean Jewish and atheist at the very same time. How does that even begin to work. I know there are some famous people who identify themselves as such. I just out of sheer curiosity want to know how can the two even begin to co-exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxCRUSADERxx View Post
Just out of curiosity, I've heard that some jews Identify as Atheist but I ask how are the two even remotely compatible? Shouldn't the two be polar opposites? Doesn't saying I'm a Atheist Jew render you neither? How can one be a Atheist Theist at the sametime? I don't mean you were born jewish and became atheist and left behind judaism but still say i'm jewish no I mean Jewish and atheist at the very same time. How does that even begin to work. I know there are some famous people who identify themselves as such. I just out of sheer curiosity want to know how can the two even begin to co-exist?
My wife kind of views herself like this.She as well as myself were born jewish.She does not believe in a higher power because of all the bad in the world but does celebrate very specific holidays out of respect for our ancestors.I personally consider myself jewish with an agnostic flare.By the way,why would it be a polar opposite? If someone was catholic,protestant,muslim,etc...and then considered themselves atheist;wouldn't it be the same thing? A person born with their parent being one religion and then they side more with the views of atheism doesn't change anything,it just means they don't acknowlede a deity.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:43 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
My wife kind of views herself like this.She as well as myself were born jewish.She does not believe in a higher power because of all the bad in the world but does celebrate very specific holidays out of respect for our ancestors.I personally consider myself jewish with an agnostic flare.By the way,why would it be a polar opposite? If someone was catholic,protestant,muslim,etc...and then considered themselves atheist;wouldn't it be the same thing? A person born with their parent being one religion and then they side more with the views of atheism doesn't change anything,it just means they don't acknowlede a deity.
Not the same. You can quit being a catholic, protestant, presbyterian.etc. You can't quit being a Jew. You were born that way.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Many people see being Jewish as an ethnicity and a religion. As such a few people I know identify as Jewish, but do not really believe in any particular religious view.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
What???

How bout - one's mom and dad are of Jewish descent? But one is an atheist?

Ethnicity.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Many people see being Jewish as an ethnicity and a religion. As such a few people I know identify as Jewish, but do not really believe in any particular religious view.
That would explain a Jewish atheist. More confusing is the concept of an Hindu atheist, which someone I knew in CA claimed to be. Hinduism is a religion and/or a philosophy, not a race....

Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://csjoshi.blogspot.com/2009/04/...u-atheist.html

Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
That would explain a Jewish atheist. More confusing is the concept of an Hindu atheist, which someone I knew in CA claimed to be. Hinduism is a religion and/or a philosophy, not a race....

Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Epiblast!: What the hell is a Hindu Atheist?
It could be a cultural thing.
If Hindu is deeply rooted into his culture and heritage, his family people views it the way Jews view themselves. In that sense he can be be a Hindu atheist.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Yeah. I think being Jewish, and to a lesser extent Hindu, can be seen as a culture. I know at least some of the Jewish holidays can be interpreted as being mostly about the Jewish people and their history. Although Hanukkah has some miracles, and the Maccabees revolt had clear religious aspects, I think it could be viewed as about the struggle of the Jews as a people.

More intriguing philosopher Santayana was an agnostic Catholic. He admired elements of Catholic philosophers and some of the art, but was uncertain if there was a God. In his last years author Graham Greene deemed himself an atheist and Catholic. He admired some of the morals or traditions and aesthetics, but no longer believed in God. (I've been close to being an "atheist Catholic" myself at times, but as I indicated atheism is pretty much dead in me and I'm not looking for it to come back)

Old 12-23-2009, 04:12 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
An atheist jew is a jew ethnically the same way an atheist Irishman is Irish. A person is Armenian even if they do not ascribe to the beliefs of the Armenian Orthodox Church.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
If you are born Jewish (your mother is Jewish) then you are a Jew. There are Jews who don't believe in God but still celebrate their Jewishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality