Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Considering the distances between stars and the limits of relativity then effectively there might be no extraterrestrials. Because if no communication or contact is possible than no evidence is impossible. To believe in something without evidence is not, as I understand it here, scientific. Therefore rationally speaking extraterrestrials effectively don't exist as they can not be shown by human perception or communication.
typically out of context thinking style. belief in god as in described by "religion" has no basis on any rational information. that's why you can't postulate from it with any sort of credibility. now, there is nothing erroneous in speculating that their might be a creator or god or whatever but religion tends to "make-up" properties of god or creator. this is not different than spinning a tale and passing it off as a fact.

as far as speculating on life existing in the universe, that's just more plausible. you can argue whether that has to do with a 'creator' all day long but that's another issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
In the English language, fairies are different than genies or aliens. Not "pretending" anything, there's a language barrier where words are being mis-translated.
I used to translate the "genie" as demon; but now I think "demon" in English means devil or the evil genie !?

I think the word "genie" in Arabic mostly means "alien" .

Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
I used to translate the "genie" as demon; but now I think "demon" in English means devil or the evil genie !?

I think the word "genie" in Arabic mostly means "alien" .
Demon in English means a devil, yes. Not Satan The Devil, but one of his minions. A fairy is a very small flying creature that looks like a tiny winged human being, and are generally thought to be good, though sometimes they perform mischief for fun. And alien would just be called an alien.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
and that thought my friend is the driving force behind the saucer people cult of san francisco.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Quote:
Do you think God has created other worlds like Earth with people like us?
No, since I don't believe in God. I do think it's highly likely that life has evolved in many places in the universe but they would never be exactly like us.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
Do the math for yourself. *shrug* Just for sake of being generous, call it...life on one in a million habitable planets...and sentient life on one in a million of those.
You couldn't do the maths because we don't have enough information.
I think there probably be other life out in the universe, but if you look at our history, it seems intelligent life is very improbable.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Drake Equation. Although I tend to agree with the criticism that too many variables in the equation are mere guesses, rendering the results meaningless.

However, even if the Drake Equation gives us a result as low as "1" for our galaxy, it still means there could be trillions of civilizations in the Universe, since there are trillions of galaxies.

But, to the original post, I agree with someone else who said the more interesting question is "Do you think there are other civilizations in the Universe that also created their own God?"

Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Drake Equation. Although I tend to agree with the criticism that too many variables in the equation are mere guesses, rendering the results meaningless.
Thing is, we KNOW that at least one planet has intelligent life. Proof that it can and has happened, so while the answer to the equation might be questionable, it's not meaningless. On the flip side, there is no proof of a god ever existing...so belief in deities IS essentially meaningless until someone comes up with proof.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
Quote:
Thing is, we KNOW that at least one planet has intelligent life. Proof that it can and has happened, so while the answer to the equation might be questionable, it's not meaningless. On the flip side, there is no proof of a god ever existing...so belief in deities IS essentially meaningless until someone comes up with proof.
Yes. The difficulty is that, depending on the variables, the Drake Equation could give any number from zero to millions. Maybe "questionable" is better than "meaningless." And yes, in theory the result should be greater than One - since we are here - although reading through these posts about gods living inside stars I have doubts about humanity's "intelligence" sometimes.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM

427 posts, read 1,304,664 times
Quote:
It can't be meaningless if it affects things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality