Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I would dispute the "intelligent" part... Look how long earth took to get an intelligent creature... and that may have been a fluke.
Pretty interesting series on Direct TV the last few days. I'm thinking it was called Magnificent Planet or some such. It covers, with startling graphics, a summarization of what we can reasonably conclude about the origins of our earth, from a geological and astronomical perspective, and then the consequent evolution (with evidence) of the various life forms onboard. Plus the evidence-borne concepts of how each "epoch", if that's the right word, advanced and was eventually extinquished. By astronomical or other natural catastrophies.

I particularly liked the section on how some of our ancestors or those in competing branches didn't make it. The discussion of brain size as it relates to species success was fascinating. Brain size relates to the ready availability of protein in the diet. Most of the earler "test species" were dedicated vegetarians or at best, facultative carnivores, whereas the homo sapiens types were definitely functioning carnivores. This, coupled with their advanced ability to communicate, and their cognitive ability to consider the future, resulted in a species of intelligent and functional life that has produced our current rabid over-abundance on this planet.

BTW, the point about carnivorous behaviour is that it's the only way to "feed" a growing developing brain, that organ consuming far more energy and protein than any other organ in the body. Neanderthals were about as predatory as us, but they did not carry the communications capabilities, so they couldn't adapt nor respond as quickly as we did to a changing ecology. And so... they're gone now...

It would take quite an array of such chance occurrences to duplicate what we have here. To advance to star-time-space travel will require our science's best efforts, unbridled by ancient Ogg-gah-dah Boo-gah-dah strictures, which is an element of our current society that must and will be eventually overcome.

Given all the right conditions, basic life on other planets (which is quite liekly given the sheer numbers of "test-tubes" out there, and the assumption that similar worlds, biochemically and physically, do co-exist,) we should eventually find other life forms. Just not necessarily as capable as us.

And we owe it all to being canivorous. Yum. Eat your raw beef! "It's what's for dinner" on the evolutionary menu!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I've been paying attention to your posts 1111 and I believe you to be sincere. However, coming from a context of believing that there are more books of scripture than just those a few scholars decided to put into today's bible, I sometimes have differing points of view. With respect, I thought I'd comment on a few of the beliefs you expressed in this particular message. I base what I write on my personal understanding of scriptures including but not exclusively the books contained in the Holy Bible.

I agree that when God created/organized our spirit bodies we were perfect, and that He gave each of us "free will" the freedom to choose for ourselves from among opposites or points along a spectrum of differences.

It is my belief that as literal spirit children of God we all have the potential to 'grow up' and become like our Heavenly Parent. It is my understanding that Lucifer (now known as Satan) fell because he opposed the Plan of Salvation that our Father proposed and instead wanted to force all of God's children back to heaven. He also wanted the glory to himself. A war of words ensued and one third of our spirit brothers and sisters followed Lucifer. They failed their 'first estate' by making wrong choices, were cast out of heaven forever, and will never get a physical body. You and I and every human born to this world were faithful and passed our first estate. We are now in the time on earth phase of our growing up experience and by our choices towards good or evil will pass or fail this crucial "second estate."
The Lucifer rebellion is fully explained in the Urantia Book and several other channeled messages. The jist is he didn't like God's plan and wanted to thwart it. He then acquired followers to help him. Either way, still the bad guy. The story isn't important. What's important is that we get back to the original state we were born to be. At that point, we have the potential to become like God, fully Divine, as Jesus showed us.

Quote:
Adam and Eve did not follow Lucifer but they did break one of Father's commandments. They were commanded not to eat of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Lucifer tempted Eve, convincing her that if she and Adam did not eat of that fruit they would never be able to fully experience and choose from among opposites such as health and sickness, light and darkness, pleasure and pain, good and evil.

Eve saw the whole picture and ate of the fruit knowing that she would be cast out of the Garden. She then convinced Adam that he either had to eat of the fruit or remain alone in the Garden and break Father's other commandment to multiply and replenish the earth. (Which of course he could not do without her.) While in the Garden they walked and talked with God the Father. When they were cast out of the Garden because of disobedience (it was a set up, they had to break one of the two commandments so that man might be) they suffered a "spiritual death" being deprived of the presence of God the Father.
Here is the author of Genesis:
http://new-birth.net/tgrabjvol1/ancient4.htm

Quote:
Lucifer (Satan) DOES exist! He it is and the third of God's spirit children who followed him and those mortals who turn to evil, who tempt God's children on earth and try to get them to disobey Father and become as miserable as they are. But Satan cannot tempt us beyond our ability to resist. If he could, God could not with justice judge us for we would have been forced to disobey (Satan's original plan).
This is part of a message that was taken in early 1991 concerning the Lucifer rebellion. I'll not give the author as I think the message will speak for itself.

"This planet is a protected place as it is the birth planet of the human-divine JESUS. It will take us some time. We are approximating a thousand to two thousand years to erase the evil that this insane being left behind as your legacy. But we will erase it, and your planet will be a beacon to all other ascendant mortals. God's will is never hurtful or harmful to His little children. It is the will of The FATHER to heal his little ones, and many are being used to do so. (This would be regarding the Correcting Time and using channelers to acquire the necessary information to heal the planet)

We look in awe at the agondonters on Urantia. You are truly God's children. To build and maintain faith and God consciousness in the midst of such darkness is commendable. I have taken over by order of my God, MICHAEL of Nebadon. This occurred when those two evil beings ceased to be. I am, and have been, officially ushered in as your Planetary Prince. We have a lot of work to do, but do not cast eyes downward. Cast eyes upward for the glory that will befall this planet. These are wondrous years."

Quote:
That's how I understand it...
I have more on the annhiliation if you'd care to read them.

The stories don't really matter once the context is understood.. We are spirit beings living in a material world. This is our first stage of existance. Our second stage will be after death and we will keep ascending, if we choose, until we are in the presence of God. We cannot do that in our current state of consciousness. We have to raise that with Love. We are Love made manifest and when we think we are imperfect, we are still remaining in darkness.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
This is an interesting thought that popped into my head. Of all the planets and solar systems out in that vast space, is it possible that God created other worlds with people like us or similar to us and maybe creating new worlds everyday, and repeating the Creationism thing every single day?

It's so weird and cool to think that there are other worlds may have God have created.

I mean, we're here... Why wouldn't there be other people?
No, God would get tired flapping his wings all the way out there and stuff.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:35 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The Lucifer rebellion is fully explained in the Urantia Book and several other channeled messages.
Would you call yourself a spiritualist? Just wondering about the "Reverend" part of your screen name, that's not often associated with New Age, Edgar Cayce etc. but is with spiritualists as I understand them.

What do you personally think is the source of the Urantia Book?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
Do you pretend don't know?

By fairies she means genies or aliens.
Or cherubs or seraphim or some similar crazy nonsense.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
There are a lot of interesting theories on alternate earths and universes.

One is that if there was an Earth like planet why haven't they contacted us yet?
Actually there are a lot of plausible answers to that one. We haven't found them yet, so why would they find us yet? Maybe we are the most advanced sentient life-form, the Firsts if you will, in the universe. Maybe they're avoiding us because we're kind of retarded as a race. Maybe they're waiting until we figure out that religion and deities are illogical. Maybe they're waiting until we fatten up so that they can eat us. Maybe we're the equivalent of some kid's science project.

I could go on and on

Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Would you call yourself a spiritualist? Just wondering about the "Reverend" part of your screen name, that's not often associated with New Age, Edgar Cayce etc. but is with spiritualists as I understand them.

What do you personally think is the source of the Urantia Book?
Maybe. However, when I asked my teacher, he said we are New Birth Christians or Divine Love christians. Divine Love is what Jesus taught while He was on earth. It's the substance of God and when you pray for it, it slowly transforms your soul from it's current state to the Divine state. Just a belief in God is all that is required for it to work. Athiests can do it but it is harder and that's ok. God loves them too.

The UBook, to me, is channeled by higher orders of beings. None that most would not have heard of. If you've read it, I'm sure you understand. I believe the first three parts but the last part, I believe, was authored by a different channeler and he let the bible have too much influence on it. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful read but it does contradict some other messages from Jesus that Jesus was personally channeled for. It is a good guide to follow though.

Overall, I think it's a very spiritual and uplifting book and not at all religious or to catagorized as a religion. It's just a guide book for the next generation and those who read it now, and wake up to their potential, will have a step up from those who are closed minded.

just my opinion.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Maybe. However, when I asked my teacher, he said we are New Birth Christians or Divine Love christians. Divine Love is what Jesus taught while He was on earth. It's the substance of God and when you pray for it, it slowly transforms your soul from it's current state to the Divine state. Just a belief in God is all that is required for it to work. Athiests can do it but it is harder and that's ok. God loves them too.

The UBook, to me, is channeled by higher orders of beings. None that most would not have heard of. If you've read it, I'm sure you understand. I believe the first three parts but the last part, I believe, was authored by a different channeler and he let the bible have too much influence on it. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful read but it does contradict some other messages from Jesus that Jesus was personally channeled for. It is a good guide to follow though.

Overall, I think it's a very spiritual and uplifting book and not at all religious or to catagorized as a religion. It's just a guide book for the next generation and those who read it now, and wake up to their potential, will have a step up from those who are closed minded. just my opinion.
I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from better, don't respond if you are not comfortable doing so in this public medium. (Pun probably unintentional.)

Do I assume correctly that your "teacher" is not a mortal and you do not see him, just have contact in your mind sort of like a "guide" or similar to a seance, but perhaps individual? Is your teacher a "higher order of being" in your opinion? If not, what is he?

How do you account for "higher orders of beings"? In your view are there higher "orders" of intelligent beings than God the Father and His children?

I agree that love is the summation of everything Jesus taught and the principle that could bring peace to this world if everyone applied it equally with no respect to persons. I think most other Christians would agree.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Just a belief in God is all that is required for it to work. Athiests can do it but it is harder and that's ok. God loves them too.
That's nice in theory, but the reality is that most deeply-devout Christians will totally shun their non-believer neighbors. Absolutely refuse to even speak to them, and will even setup networks in their churches and neighborhood cliques to spread the word about those new heathens who just moved in.

I'm tempted to put up a small sign on the front lawn: 'Matthew 25:40', and then wait for a couple of bricks through our windows the next time we have to go out of town.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:44 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Considering the distances between stars and the limits of relativity then effectively there might be no extraterrestrials. Because if no communication or contact is possible than no evidence is impossible. To believe in something without evidence is not, as I understand it here, scientific. Therefore rationally speaking extraterrestrials effectively don't exist as they can not be shown by human perception or communication.
Then you are admitting that the same standard applies to your gawd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality