Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Several "atheist organizations" are paying for this... the "Coalition of Reason", seems to be Atheism's answer to the "Christian Coalition". Atheists are organizing their religion more and more. They even have denominations, apparently.

They seem to really like proselytizing, I guess it's important enough to them to spread the gospel of Atheismâ„¢ that they are willing to spend lots of money, time, and resources on it.

I wonder why they don't feed the poor and house the homeless of NYC with that money???

Christians and Churches have soup kitchens, missions, homeless shelters, etc. Where is the Coalition of Reason's morality and humanitarian work? Oh yeah, they go with what's important to them, proselytize people into the Atheist religion instead of feeding them.
Most of the Athiests I know give charity quietly, and behind the scenes. Many Christians do, too, to be fair. "Give because it's the right thing to do." Athiests don't need a nod from god. Believers know that God dwells within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Several "atheist organizations" are paying for this... the "Coalition of Reason", seems to be Atheism's answer to the "Christian Coalition". Atheists are organizing their religion more and more. They even have denominations, apparently.

They seem to really like proselytizing, I guess it's important enough to them to spread the gospel of Atheismâ„¢ that they are willing to spend lots of money, time, and resources on it.

I wonder why they don't feed the poor and house the homeless of NYC with that money???

Christians and Churches have soup kitchens, missions, homeless shelters, etc. Where is the Coalition of Reason's morality and humanitarian work? Oh yeah, they go with what's important to them, proselytize people into the Atheist religion instead of feeding them.
Christians always seemed to be annoyed beyond proportions at anything which does not declare the christians to be the only people who possess the truth.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:30 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Quote:
Nice try, but you failed to give any examples of Atheist charities. Secular groups are not Atheist groups. Some of the examples given in the link you provide are actually secular organizations with Christian roots (e.g. American Red Cross).

As for Brad Pitt, his charitable work is his own. It's not an Atheist charity any more than Rockefeller's philanthropy and charity work are Christian charities because Rockefeller was a Christian.

Your arguments fall completely flat here.
The only thing flat around here is your brain activity, from the looks of it.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM

218 posts, read 311,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Christians always seemed to be annoyed beyond proportions at anything which does not declare the christians to be the only people who possess the truth.
That's because all religions seek to live a good life and do good works but never has assurance of life after death or paradise as some call it while christianity is God reaching man through His message of hope and salvation by receiving Jesus The Christ as a final payment for sin for those that accept Him and obey Him. There is a big difference.

Man = Religion
God = Christianity (Ephesians 2:8-10) Faith by grace a free gift so no one can boast, not by works (good deeds) not because we deserve it but because of God's love for us.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But, professor, why follow the footsteps of the Christians? Why preach?

Double standards. It leaves no exceptions.
How in the name of all that shines can "You're not alone." be seen as preaching!?

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
Well, the Mormon church in particular definitely spends too little on helping people outside of their religion (unless it's with the string attached that the people they help progress towards conversion to mormonism). I don't know what other religious organizations were involved, but any mainstream Christian denomination will spend money not only to proselytize but to help people with no religious strings attached. That's why you can go to a Baptist or Catholic hospital, clinic, homeless shelter, or other outreach, over and over, and receive humanitarian aid even if you NEVER become part of their religious organization. The Christian soup kitchens and homeless outreaches I've worked with help anyone, even (and especially) those who make it clear they aren't interested in joining the religion.

So, yes, religious groups spend money on proselytizing and other non-humanitarian things, but in Christianity this is in addition to spending on humanitarian outreaches. In Atheism, apparently, the Atheist organizations/sects are expressly for proselytizing and spend all their time, money, and resources doing so, and none on expressly humanitarian outreaches.
Either you are unfamiliar with California's Prop 8/Maine's Question 1 issues or you are dodging the question.

Either way, I'll reword my question so try and keep up here. You accused atheist organizations of spending money on proselytizing when it could be spend on feeding NYC homeless. MY POINT was that many religious organizations, INSTEAD of feeding the homeless have been funneling money into political action to defeat legislative measure that would legalize marriage equality. Yet, you only focused on how the atheist organization could have better spent their money, not how the religious organizations could have...get it?

Please don't set up strawman arguments and instead respond to the question at hand...

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:

Perfect, Johnny

Your very post is receiving a string of defensive responses. It must have cut them to the core

They can preach. Christians can preach. The rest can preach too. It's all religious.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
How in the name of all that shines can "You're not alone." be seen as preaching!?
It's preaching to the converted....such as it is....

Who would know best about that than a religious organization?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Propagation of "any" message is preaching. I don't mind the billboards, but living in self-denial about it and defending it is lame.

Saying you are not alone is almost equal to encouraging to increase the headcount, boost cult membership and fostering some kind of a fellowship. That's very synonymous to conversion.

It's a free world. Anyone can do anything. Just stand up and admit the propagation.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Perfect, Johnny

Your very post is receiving a string of defensive responses. It must have cut them to the core

They can preach. Christians can preach. The rest can preach too. It's all religious.
I don't see it as 'preaching'. All the 'atheist billboards' are doing is letting people know that it's okay to be a non-believer. There are many who feel completely alone because of their thoughts and lots of them don't even know that there are others like them. Christians preach because they 'KNOW THE TRUTH' and want to convert people so they will be 'saved'.

Honestly, as an atheist I don't want to deconvert people (although I've helped in the process on a few occasions accidentally) I just want people to know that it's OK to be a non-believer. No more charades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality