Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:13 AM

954 posts, read 813,440 times

Advertisements

I'm with you on that one ducksburg!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 12:54 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Yes, that's how I understood Plad's post, as well. He wasn't praising or honoring Hitler at all. He was demonstrating that Christians believe Atheists are doomed to Hell for not believeing in JC, even though terrible people (to put it mildly) like Hitler wind up in Heaven, as long as they believe in and follow JC.

I thought he was trying to illustrate the irony, and somewhat ridiculousness (in his opinion, as well as mine and many other non-Christians), of that type of belief system, where "good" atheists are doomed to hell, but "bad" Christians go to heaven...simply for believeing in one guy and his teachings.
Oh, okay... I definitely misunderstood the post, so I apologize about that! But either way, it wasn't the nicest thing to say.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:36 AM

571 posts, read 853,237 times
I just joined this chat just to see any athiest bashing if there was i was going full out
but there wasnt so im good.

Um Hitler was a christain a bad one at that he probley broken every rule however if you read the old testament it shows how god commits genocide beleive it or not i dont care u guys should already know this but yet im still more edu then most christains about there religion. Point is that if people beleive god wanted him to kill the jewish people and realy a religous fanatic person reading old testament over and over again you understand why he had that feelings.

Kinda why i turned away christainty, rather go with a moral religion or none at all

excuse spelling tired as hell ;0

Old 02-22-2008, 04:57 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
People enjoy talking about their beliefs, and that is why they come here. If they had a large group of people to talk with that had similiar beliefs as they do they may not come here. Basically it is a change of ideas that is going on, and it is fun and stimulating. It has little to do with not having a life. I am sure these people have a life. Even I have a life but it is interesting to read others views. I find most people in society don't wish to share views on religion or their own philosophy or that of others. So often we read books or we come on forums. I remember when I lived in Berkeley we would go to a coffee house and sit around and talk about these things or books, etc. Perhaps forums take the place of coffee houses in this modern age, but then of course not every town has a place where you can discuss things.

So, you asked, Is it the Highlight of your Day? No, it is just the beginning of my morning for me. Everything I do duirng the day is a highlight to me unless I have to go to the doctor or dentist. I spend maybe 30 minutes to an hour on this forum, and then I clean house, talk to friends on the phone, walk the dogs, exercise, read a book, play on second life, go to a few clubs that I have joined, but that isn't daily of course, I watch CNN and American Idol and a movie now and then, and I garden. And I enjoy each of these things.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoet View Post
For a being that doesn't exist, you atheists sure have a lot of time to disprove his existence even more LOL

It's beyond my comprehension how some people here get online and post about something they don't believe in. Huh?
I don't believe in evolution, but I don't look forward coming online everyday and posting how much I don't believe in evolution LOL

Is this the highlight of your day? To come online and write about how something does not exist? LOL Or are you looking to find comfort and support from other non believers and convinced yourself that God does not exist so you can feel better and elimante any fears that you may have. I understand what you feel. For the past year I have been trying to convinced myself to move out of Miami by telling other people all the negatives of living in Miami. I find comfort when other people agree with me, thus they are confirming my believe that I should move and that makes me feel better. The truth is that I love Miami (I know I'm nuts) and it is very difficult to move from here. Atheists do not exist. Deep down inside they all feel that there is a slight chance, at the very least, that a Supreme Being does exist so they try to find comfort among each other. Why else would anyone debate something that doesn't exist? LOL

Jesus Christ is Risen, He is Risen Indeed !

Well I for one just enjoy the debating and exchange of ideas. And I have no doubt in my mind at all, not even a tiny one about the non-existence of a deity.

I never realised enjoying an intellectually challenging debate and learning how others feel and what they believe in was such a crime.

And yes I do have a life. Sadly during the day I am mostly house-bound through long term illness issues and disability. I hope that's OK with you ?

But the rest of the time I go to the theatre and concerts( at least once or twice a week), read a lot, visit museums, art galleries, historical homes, attend lectures, am an active member of various charities, a member of some Oxford University Societies. I also travel a lot. I visit friends. I correspond with people. I listen to music. I go to the movies. I write film and play reviews for a local news-sheet and website. I go to the restaurant.

Is that enough of a life or should we compare notes ? I think my life is pretty full though I'm sure your is so much interesting.

I have no fear I might be wrong and god is not on my mid at all. People who believe in God do fascinate me as I am completely bemused as to why they do. My coming to this forum is my way of trying to grasp what makes some people believe.

The Philosophy of Faith interests me. I want to understand what makes people like you believe the Earth is 600o years old when I have seen gone down prehistoric caves with paintings that are over 25000 years old.

I try to grasp what would make seemingly normal people refute science as being erroneous because some book tells them so.

It's called intellectual curiosity. You might try it sometimes and you might even learn something.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
For a being that doesn't exist, you atheists sure have a lot of time to disprove his existence even more LOL
We're not trying to disprove the existence of god. The ball is in your court to prove he exists, not for us to prove he doesn't exist.

Quote:
Why else would anyone debate something that doesn't exist? LOL
You are debating about something that doesn't exist, how is that any different than what we're doing?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Do theists have a life?
Is a brain dead individual 'alive'?
I mean do you only need a soul to be considered alive or is it the brain ( being aware of the consequences of your actions) which animates people?
The fact that we have a brain does not automatically mean that we intentionally use them.

I am of the opinion that many people who are considered sentient but who not question anything are brainless zombies; they go through life without questioning anything, simply because that is the way of the least resistance.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:24 AM

54 posts, read 156,886 times
Quote:

It's beyond my comprehension how some people here get online and post about something they don't believe in. Huh?
I don't believe in evolution, but I don't look forward coming online everyday and posting how much I don't believe in evolution LOL

Is this the highlight of your day? To come online and write about how something does not exist? LOL Or are you looking to find comfort and support from other non believers and convinced yourself that God does not exist so you can feel better and elimante any fears that you may have. I understand what you feel. For the past year I have been trying to convinced myself to move out of Miami by telling other people all the negatives of living in Miami. I find comfort when other people agree with me, thus they are confirming my believe that I should move and that makes me feel better. The truth is that I love Miami (I know I'm nuts) and it is very difficult to move from here. Atheists do not exist. Deep down inside they all feel that there is a slight chance, at the very least, that a Supreme Being does exist so they try to find comfort among each other. Why else would anyone debate something that doesn't exist? LOL

The same has being said about Christians time and again in regards to their beliefs. We all want to be validated in our views to have a sense of certainty. There are some excellent
thinkers on both sides of these posts if you are open to a different point of view. If you're intent was to simply get a negative reaction, well I hope you are satisfied. I would just remind you that there are some people exchanging their views honestly without malice and I hope that your next post will be a little more constructive.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You make a very good point FB, but to some of us it's more fun and interesting to discuss these things when you keep an open mind. Like I said in an earlier post, I don't come here with the expectation that I am going to change someone's beliefs or values. That's not what I am here for. I come here for the same reason you go to Sunday School. To learn more about what it is we believe in. Whether that be Evolution or God it's just to learn more. To me, MontanaGuy has brought up some excellent points that I had never thought about. He's professional and mature about his statements, and unlike me, always has something valuable to say.

But, the same goes for Alpha as well. Although he and I don't agree in our beliefs we have had some intelligent conversations and we respectfully agree to disagree without throwing the "God factor" into each other's faces. Also, as I said in another post, I like to come here because in today's society it is hard to find a group of people to talk about this kind of stuff in an adult-like manner. Let's face it, if I walked into your Sunday service and started to have a conversation with your congregation I wouldn't get very far. The same goes for most of the internet: Most of the message boards I've been to usually have too many kids that are immature about their points and would rather crack jokes about something I find very interesting.

Science to me is a fun topic and I am always open for new ideas. But, I don't come here because deep down I wish I had a God to worship. I come here for the company and for the conversation, not to change minds. Nothing more, nothing less.
Couldn't agree more, keep the vibe alive dude! it's interesting to have these conversations indeed.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 AM

131 posts, read 312,870 times
Quote:

If you look at your post from an athiest point of veiw, as i do, id be more concerned about people (theists) talking/debating/trying to prove something exists etc that clearly does not exist.
And to quote your title "Do Athiests have a life" I find kind of amusing, because again, if you look at it from an athiest point of veiw: who are the ones spending(/wasting) thier time going to church/talking about a made up 'higher being'. Us athiests are just trying to put our point across and show how we feel about this two sided 'arugument' of god or no god.

-And I will feel good in myself if I can 'convert' just one thiest, let them live a life without sin by showing them how to not waste the one and only life they have; instead of living by a set of rules that will get them nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality