Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:00 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I kinda meant the original 12 apostles
Oh, sorry....................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
If the apostles were alive today, would I change my religion? No, because I would think they were false teachers. For one thing the apostles were given special gifts that were supposed to die with them, so if someone started doing those things I would think they were very good illusionists, like David Copperfield. Now the church I used to attend would probably worship Paul, because sometimes I thought some of them did.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,218 times
Smile That was great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I wish that we had the ability to express our beliefs and have someone say, "that's great. I don't agree, but that's ok. I believe.....". That would be so much nicer. I'm interested in knowing what they believe, I really don't have to have them agree with me. So my point is this, why ask someone what they believe if all you're going to do is fight with them about it?
Thank you, Molly.

That was great and yes, I believe!!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
If the apostles were alive today, would I change my religion? No, because I would think they were false teachers. For one thing the apostles were given special gifts that were supposed to die with them, so if someone started doing those things I would think they were very good illusionists, like David Copperfield. Now the church I used to attend would probably worship Paul, because sometimes I thought some of them did.
no the question was
if they were alive today what would they not like about your religion?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 PM

246 posts, read 649,417 times
[quote=Alpha8207;700984]I'm not going to comment on the fighting. When I see that building I try and quietly bow out...and the 'killing in His name' stuff...don't think I've been personally involved in that either.

But now I will comment on this-

For me, and for the record, I'm a Baptist, I think the apostles would come in and look at our doctrine and theology that isn't central to the gospel one by one and 'as if they were paper, rip them out and say "What's what got to do with Jesus? What's that got to do with the gospel?" and basically trash it....

I think they'd take huge checking accounts churches have and write one big check to a charity and say "There, now you have to have faith in God again, not the reserves you've built up."

See, here's the thing that kills me:

Spiritually, my sins crucified Jesus.

Naturally, organized religion did it.

I'm not opposed to organized religion, I'm just opposed to what we've made it. And the only way to change it is one person at a time. We've got to get out of our boxes, realize that while God is in our church buildings, our commission is not. The Bible says 'Go!' not 'Come'. We're supposed to 'Do', not talk about 'doing'.
Anyway, I think the apostles probably would chain the doors on a good 70-80% of our churches.....but what do I know...that's just my opinion.

QUOTE]

I'd agree - that's awesome (I'm not Baptist, either) I highlighted part of your quote - yep, and ouch! so True.
I'd like to add, that in my church, they'd probably not like some of the super-spirituality going on -you know, head so high up in outter space that they're not of earthly value (- loosely translated)
Yep, Alpha, you hit the nail on the head. We should all log-off, right now.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
no the question was
if they were alive today what would they not like about your religion?
Maybe they wouldn't like the fact some people in my religion turn their back on me because I don't attend that church anymore, because there is a child pervert in the back pew who spends his time at Kmart bathroom watching little boys while he..you know. Maybe they would admonish me for not getting up in front of the congregation with the other women and thanking the men for ALLOWING us to attend a womens retreat...Maybe they would admonish me for not OBEYING my husband..Maybe I had best go get a cup of coffee and take time out..

Old 05-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe they wouldn't like the fact some people in my religion turn their back on me because I don't attend that church anymore, because there is a child pervert in the back pew who spends his time at Kmart bathroom watching little boys while he..you know. Maybe they would admonish me for not getting up in front of the congregation with the other women and thanking the men for ALLOWING us to attend a womens retreat...Maybe they would admonish me for not OBEYING my husband..Maybe I had best go get a cup of coffee and take time out..
geez sweetie I would pick a new church too

I don't think they would admonish you for anything that you have listed here

I think they would be too busy knocking some sense into the perv in the back row to worry about whether you said thank you to the guys

Old 05-11-2007, 03:44 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
I say we start a new church called the Church of the Tired, Beaten, Down-trodden, and Disillusioned. All welcome. Bring your baggage but leave your pride, arrogance, legalism, and license at the door.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I say we start a new church called the Church of the Tired, Beaten, Down-trodden, and Disillusioned. All welcome. Bring your baggage but leave your pride, arrogance, legalism, and license at the door.
Can we sing and dance in this church?

Old 05-11-2007, 03:47 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Can we sing and dance in this church?
David danced....actually...I'm pretty sure he danced in his underwear and then said "I'll become even more undignified that this!"(great song by the way)

So YES!! Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality