Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You called it! Simply amazing...I had no idea. That's why they ripped into me so hard! This is flabberghasting. I knew they were way on out there, but it takes a child to actually admit what they are truly about. It IS a cult. Are there different sects and what they believe? Because I have never heard this before. This sounds really extremist and cult-ish.
Whoah whoah now...a real person posted that...a real person with real feelings. Don't call him "out there". He was flat-out honest and very open. (Yes, this IS JerZ saying this. ) This theory is no more out-there than saying some dude came to life after being dead for three days or walked on water. And on the other end of the spectrum, no more out-there than saying we are literally a random act, even with all our diversity and complexity.

ETA: I admit I was VERY surprised by the theory because it was one I'd never heard of before, but really, I was surprised more by the fact that people didn't question it or jump on it or whatever...I mean you know this forum. I thought that must mean it was something very very unusual and didn't realize it was a well-known religion like LDS.

ALL our beliefs are "out there" in some way, foks.

I like to debate religion as much as the next person, maybe even more so in many cases, but I don't think you can designate Mormons a "cult" based on this supernatural idea. ALL religions have a supernatural basis.

Not trying to p*ss you off, just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 07:29 PM

74 posts, read 234,633 times
2. Conservation of mass-energy (energy can neither be created nor destroyed, thus no need for a Creator)

I think this is todays rendition of the classic "I am, that I am" of Biblical reference. I once read a top nuclear scientist state that the unidentifyable energy that powers molecular structure can only be explained as a force of God. And he was an atheist! As stated here, Quantum physics is hot on the trail of proving parallel physical dimentions.
Atheists can not explain people like Edgar Cayce. The last great prophet of our time. Cayce claimed our spiritual energy was once one with God. It was our collective desire to seek "self" expression that hurled us into our own physical creation of this lower, crewder dimention of exsistence. Its a tuff road home!
Another facinating aleged NON fiction rendition of our development on earth is exhaustively reseached by Zacharia Sitchin. His books are interpritations of thousands of ancient clay tablets found in the land between the rivers Babalon. These history tablets referr to God like entities creating human DNA compatable for living on this planet aside from the creation of Fruits and foods to propagate life here.
On a separate note, you will live beyond your death. I personaly have spoken to passed family members in dreams and learned things from them that later proved to be true. As you grow older and experiance things about dead loved ones, it will ease you into the reality of spiritual energy beyond this world.....Hopefully!
Keep Searchin! &
Be Well

Old 05-14-2007, 07:30 PM

253 posts, read 640,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Whoah whoah now...a real person posted that...a real person with real feelings. Don't call him "out there". He was flat-out honest and very open. (Yes, this IS JerZ saying this. ) This theory is no more out-there than saying some dude came to life after being dead for three days or walked on water. And on the other end of the spectrum, no more out-there than saying we are literally a random act, even with all our diversity and complexity.

ETA: I admit I was VERY surprised by the theory because it was one I'd never heard of before, but really, I was surprised more by the fact that people didn't question it or jump on it or whatever...I mean you know this forum. I thought that must mean it was something very very unusual and didn't realize it was a well-known religion like LDS.

ALL our beliefs are "out there" in some way, foks.

I like to debate religion as much as the next person, maybe even more so in many cases, but I don't think you can designate Mormons a "cult" based on this supernatural idea. ALL religions have a supernatural basis.

Not trying to p*ss you off, just sayin'.
Thank you so much for being open-minded, you have no idea how much I appreciate that

Old 05-14-2007, 11:50 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,342 times
GenesisNemisis,

I ask one (and only one) thing from you:

Read "Summa Theologica" by Thomas Aquinas. That's it. Period.

It is, by far, the most intellectual (I can see that you're brilliant) arguments ever published for the proofs for the extistance of God.

After reading it, let me know what you think.

Take Care,

Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 AM

954 posts, read 813,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughte..._and_the_brain
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_music
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senses#Smell The inability to smell is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosmia . I might argue "why can't some people smell the beautiful summer rain and some people can?"
4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love#Scientific_views
5. Why does there need to be a first cause? The conservation of mass-energy states "energy can neither be created nor destroyed" thus no need for a First Cause. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conserv...of_mass-energy

Btw, anyone know how to make my links blue? :P
Hello Jacob....and congratulations on 'seeing the light' and becoming atheist. Your life will be greatly enhanced without the shackles of religious dogma.

Now, making your links blue.

I can tell you how to make your links blue but it doesn't come out when I submit the post. So I'll try it this way.
When you copy and post your link into your post, make sure that there is nothing in brackets coming before h t t p and nothing in brackets at the end of the link. If there is, remove both the brackets and what is contained within them.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM

740 posts, read 2,014,221 times
I would suggest: http://answersingenisis.org and A case for a Creator, A Case for Christ both by Lee Strobel. (Who started his search as an atheist) maniac & GenesisNemesis, seems like you are both questioning. Maniac, I would ask what religion you are? I am just curious in what religion god starts from human origions? Where did the first man come?
In Christianity, God has always been.. He sent down His Son, who has also always been, to live a perfect sinless life as man, then to be the perfect sacrifice to atone for our sins. The one thing that sets Christianity apart from the other religions, is that the SON arose from the dead and ascended to heaven where He has gone to prepare a place for us. The bible itself is around 3000 years old. The Old Testament, was written from 75 to 1000 years before Christ. With the sole purpose of pointing the way to the Messiah. 333 prophetic passages, and 456 descriptive passages to identify the Christ. And in 1 man, Jesus Christ, they were all fulfilled. Think about it this way... with your first & last name, street address, city, state and zip, a letter can find you from anywhere in the world. Your social security number sets you apart from everyone else. So, with 333 Biblical prophecies fulfilled in one person, what is the likely hood that this could have been a fluke? It would have been mathematically impossible. Maniac - please read http://www.carm.org/lds/lds_christian.htm http://www.dimmeria.com/?q=node/21

Please continue on your search
Ask and it shall be given unto you,
http://ruthshaven.com/christian/seekandfind.html

Last edited by ibcwife; 05-15-2007 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-15-2007, 12:39 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
He will still think you are a cultist but I think my remarks were directed more towards him than you in some way. It is something I have a real problem with in the religious society is their arrogance towards anyone elses beliefs. To flat out call you a "cultist" was demoralizing and especially direted towards your own thoughts and opinions because of your age. Like I said in another post; that is true evil. I don't care what you mask your thoughts and opinions behind that particular kind of thought process is as evil as it gets. And you don't have to believe in God, I don't, to believe in Evil.

However, I admire your maturity in handling the matter and although we don't necessarily see eye to eye on our own beliefs I will never call you, or anyone else out, for being a "cultist" or try to tell them they are dead WRONG about what they believe in. I will tell people my opinions and what I believe and why I believe it but not in a condescending manner such as his.

Last edited by Jammie; 07-14-2007 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: quote has been deleted so part of the post is orphaned

Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 AM

743 posts, read 2,234,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Hello Jacob....and congratulations on 'seeing the light' and becoming atheist. Your life will be greatly enhanced without the shackles of religious dogma.
I saw your post on another thread "Are Catholics Christian"....if you're an atheist, why even visit Christian threads? What's the point?

Last edited by Hoosier; 07-14-2007 at 02:06 PM..

Old 05-17-2007, 08:36 AM

253 posts, read 640,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post

I saw your post on another thread "Are Catholics Christian"....if you're an atheist, why even visit Christian threads? What's the point?
There's actually a thread about that. actually there are two related. One is called "Do athiests have a life" and the other called "Why do athiests visit a religious forum?" or something like that. Technically it's not a Christian topic, but a religious topic, and although most of us are Christians, Christianity is not the only form of religion.

Last edited by Hoosier; 07-14-2007 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-14-2007, 09:38 AM

28 posts, read 41,795 times
I'm new, and I didn't take the time to read all posts, so I don't know if what I have to say has been said.

I talked to an atheist once. I asked him if we were ultimately going to create our own version of "life." He said yes. I asked him if we were going to create a utopia, and how were we going to get our children to appreciate that utopia. After a while, I got the atheist to admit we need certain elements which amazingly resemble the elements of religion.

If you wish for me to elaborate, or you wish to continue, please respond.

-- Sam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality