Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:51 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the greatest accomplishment of satan in this age was to convince us he does not exist.
Of course it would, thats always been satans goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
According to the bible, God killed a lot more innocent people than Satan did.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:38 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
Quote:
the greatest accomplishment of satan in this age was to convince us he does not exist.
I always hear that from Christians, but wouldn't his great accomplishment be to convince others that God does not exist? Somehow whoever wrote that about his convincing others that he doesn't exist got it wrong.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:02 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Quote:
Two of the finest accomplishments of man is the realization that neither satan nor god exist.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 11-19-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,551 times
"Yet Bustamante had tried to commit suicide at age 13 and had been receiving mental health treatment for depression and cutting herself"

I wonder if she was on anti-depressants..

Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
"Yet Bustamante had tried to commit suicide at age 13 and had been receiving mental health treatment for depression and cutting herself"

I wonder if she was on anti-depressants..
You know I wondering the same thing too. The counselors and doctors are way too quick to prescribe anti-depressants for these youth today and too many parents are way too quick in saying "okay." It seems to me that their chemistry is screwed up enough without introducing those drugs.

Rather than teaching the youth how deal with life and its disappointments and hardships (that go hand-in-hand with its joys), too many adults are taking what they perceive as the easy route and look for a magic pill to cure everything. Dope 'em up...yeah that's the answer. Not only does it mess the kids chemistry up more, but I think it sends the wrong message.

This kid committed a horrible crime and I do wonder if I would feel the same if I was the victim's father. At the same time I can't help but think that this girl was let down by her own family and the counselors.

To the original question...yeah, there is evil out there. Is it caused by some outside supernatural force? Of course not. Evil is caused by man. The causes of evil are far more complicated than just assigning it to some devil or demon. That's a cop out and releases people from the responsibility to actually do something about it. "Hey, if it's the devil and there's really nothing I can do about it, I'll just pray that Jesus comes quickly and takes the evil away." Yeah, so much better than confronting the real reasons for evil.

Maybe if the family in question took a good look at themselves and asked if they were living up to their responsibilites, they might have found that they were the reason for this child's depression. Hard to say, but many parents do not take their responsibilities as seriously as older generations. Playstation 3, DVD, the Cartoon Network, cell phones and teachers are doing way too much parenting these days.

Last edited by Fullback32; 11-19-2009 at 10:19 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Playstation 3, DVD, the Cartoon Network, cell phones and teachers are doing way too much parenting these days.
The OP asked whether or not anyone believes that evil exists. I suspect that it does, and its names are Playstation, XBox, YouTube, and Twitter.

It's time to start updating quotations. "Get thee behind me, YouTube!"

Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,812 times
For what it's worth, my gut tells me there are two victims in this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The OP asked whether or not anyone believes that evil exists. I suspect that it does, and its names are Playstation, XBox, YouTube, and Twitter.

It's time to start updating quotations. "Get thee behind me, YouTube!"
I love my Xbox..............but I don't let my kids play it.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
For what it's worth, my gut tells me there aretwo victims in this story.

I love my Xbox..............but I don't let my kids play it.
I agree, theres a story there, not to diminish the grief the parents
of the victim are feeling.

Fred314X
Don't blame it on Xbox and Playstation, millions are sold everyday, I seriously doubt it has any bearing on why this girl
took someone elses life.

Last edited by virgode; 11-19-2009 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-20-2009, 07:56 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I agree, theres a story there, not to diminish the grief the parents
of the victim are feeling.

Fred314X
Don't blame it on Xbox and Playstation, millions are sold everyday, I seriously doubt it has any bearing on why this girl
took someone elses life.
The point got lost somewhere...XBox and Playstation are not the cause of this nor the games they are playing. My point was that too many parents are abdicating their parental responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality