Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
The point got lost somewhere...XBox and Playstation are not the cause of this nor the games they are playing. My point was that too many parents are abdicating their parental responsibilities.
I will agree there,maybe with both parents working,there is no one to oversee their teen children so giving the teen the responsibility of taking care of themselves. There is too much time on their hands especially when they shirk homework and house chores,it is the devil's playground and they focus in on wrongdoings as it seems nobody cares what they do or even cares for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Default Now available for only $299 @ WalMart! Line Up Now!

Fullback said:

Quote:
Rather than teaching the youth how deal with life and its disappointments and hardships (that go hand-in-hand with its joys)
I inadvertently read it, first time, as ...

Quote:
(that go hand in hand with it's toys).
Probably that's also accurate, eh?

(It's a REAL hardship if your PS3 goes down.....)

Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
Last night on tv I watched a documentary about young girls who kill which is actually quite rare. You generally have a situation in which they have been abused and suffered serious psychological trauma as a result or they are suffering from a mental illness that wasn't caused by any particular event. If we could stop unfit parents from having children and then abusing them we'd probably reduce the crime statistics significantly but of course it usually comes to the attention of the authorities after a child has been messed up for life. There's no easy answer for this situation. The word evil often has religious associations for many people but as someone said earlier on this thread, it's not caused by the devil or demons because they don't even exist.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I think there are many reasons for people to be evil..Mental disease, abusive childhoods, genetic inheritance, etc, etc..So yes I believe evil exists as much as goodness exists..

Personally I define evilness as a depraved mind brought about by any of the above, not Satan/Devil..If he literally exists, he has no power over you except by choice according to scripture..

Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 PM

392 posts, read 1,096,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
You know I wondering the same thing too. The counselors and doctors are way too quick to prescribe anti-depressants for these youth today and too many parents are way too quick in saying "okay." It seems to me that their chemistry is screwed up enough without introducing those drugs.

Rather than teaching the youth how deal with life and its disappointments and hardships (that go hand-in-hand with its joys), too many adults are taking what they perceive as the easy route and look for a magic pill to cure everything. Dope 'em up...yeah that's the answer. Not only does it mess the kids chemistry up more, but I think it sends the wrong message.

This kid committed a horrible crime and I do wonder if I would feel the same if I was the victim's father. At the same time I can't help but think that this girl was let down by her own family and the counselors.

To the original question...yeah, there is evil out there. Is it caused by some outside supernatural force? Of course not. Evil is caused by man. The causes of evil are far more complicated than just assigning it to some devil or demon. That's a cop out and releases people from the responsibility to actually do something about it. "Hey, if it's the devil and there's really nothing I can do about it, I'll just pray that Jesus comes quickly and takes the evil away." Yeah, so much better than confronting the real reasons for evil.

Maybe if the family in question took a good look at themselves and asked if they were living up to their responsibilites, they might have found that they were the reason for this child's depression. Hard to say, but many parents do not take their responsibilities as seriously as older generations. Playstation 3, DVD, the Cartoon Network, cell phones and teachers are doing way too much parenting these days.
I don't dispute the connection between an answer and evil. Far from it. I believe their is likely a scientific reason behind the formation of who is evil and who is not. But it still evil as we define it.

I worked for two years in a special school setting, more like a prison that would rival a maximum pen. It was for very extremely emotionally disturbed youth. The things I saw in there still haunt me to this day. These youths did things I can't even begin to explain.

One child would try and eat his own self. Literally biting chunks out of his own flesh. Another got upset and stabbed out his own eye with a pencil. Another would growl so deep, it was not human and tell you things about your day, he could not possibly have known. I could go on, but you get the idea. These kids were handled by the state, but none were likely ever to lead normal lives outside an institutional setting. I agree, we do tend to label the unexplainable, but that does not mean "evil" does not exist.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,747 times
Unhappy There is no goal for Goodness sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Is it mental illness or evil? I believe its mental illness, evil doesn't try to
hurt themselves, they live and breath to hurt other's.

This girl will take her own life the first opportunity she gets, her life
and another's mean nothing.
Is there a goal for her worth in participating in the goals of society for what she says? No, but her opinion for the lack of knowledge may be in denial of that reasoning. Nevertheless, society also knew no better.

I believe a lot of our media is just as bad; take our entertainment.

E...hmmmm.... That's what I'm thinking in my goal.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:36 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
I don't dispute the connection between an answer and evil. Far from it. I believe their is likely a scientific reason behind the formation of who is evil and who is not. But it still evil as we define it.

I worked for two years in a special school setting, more like a prison that would rival a maximum pen. It was for very extremely emotionally disturbed youth. The things I saw in there still haunt me to this day. These youths did things I can't even begin to explain.

One child would try and eat his own self. Literally biting chunks out of his own flesh. Another got upset and stabbed out his own eye with a pencil. Another would growl so deep, it was not human and tell you things about your day, he could not possibly have known. I could go on, but you get the idea. These kids were handled by the state, but none were likely ever to lead normal lives outside an institutional setting. I agree, we do tend to label the unexplainable, but that does not mean "evil" does not exist.
You can not have any real clinical exposure to abnormal psychological environments and dispute the existence of evil. Even one of the fathers of psychology, William James, observed that the psychological factors can explain a great deal about abnormal human behavior . . . but that there is an element so inexplicable and evil as to surpass any rational explanations of cause.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:22 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
I think this is very close to the truth....

Pure ‘evil’ truly is a human capacity. Acts of horror are committed not by inhuman ‘monsters’, but by ordinary human beings. Evil is really a myth we have created about ourselves. And to understand it fully, we must acknowledge this.

The Myth of Evil — www.praeger.com

Old 11-21-2009, 07:17 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Anyone who doesn't believe in evil has never met my mother-in-law.
Dusty we seem to have more and more in common. I won’t go to far into it here, but next time we get together we can review our Mother-In-laws to see who has the worst. I know I will win LOL. I actually had to take out a restraining order against mine due to treats, and that is just the start.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 AM

155 posts, read 283,189 times
Evil exists to me
All I have to do is turn on the news,etc
Evil is all around us...and so is good
but evil definetly exists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality