Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times

Advertisements

Well, I did wonder, Montana Guy, what you think about it since you are atheist. I have learned from chatting with atheists on this forum that some of you believe that supernatural events are possible and some of you don't. So I wondered, MG, what you were thinking when you began this thread. I thought you were one of the atheists that thought there was a scientific, physical explanation for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:00 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Ghosts and any other spirit that claims or has the presence that leads one to believe the are a deceased human are demons.
There a a great chasm fixed, and we are destined to die once. Yes Elijah and Moses came and saw Yeshua, but that was at God's bidding, period. It has not happened before or since and cannot happen with out God.

MBG
How do you know it hasn't happened before or since? How do you know that God has not allowed others to come back? You don't, you assume because it's not written anywhere, but that is not the same as knowing.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:04 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
How do you know it hasn't happened before or since? How do you know that God has not allowed others to come back? You don't, you assume because it's not written anywhere, but that is not the same as knowing.
Because I trust God's Word above the mere ramblings of men, that is why.
MBG

Old 05-17-2007, 09:11 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Because I trust God's Word above the mere ramblings of men, that is why.
MBG
Do you believe in miracles? Since God's word hasn't been added to in written form anyway, then how can you know miracles have happened if you believe in them? It's the same thing. I do not think God wanted anyone to stop looking for signs that he exists or does great things because it's not written in the Bible...especially since the bible story stops shortly after Jesus' death...there's a lot that has happened and will keep on happening since then, so again you can't know. Why discount someone's account of seeing a "spirit" or "ghost" as ramblings? We would then have to call anyone who claims a miracle has happened as ramblings also. This of course is just one example as to why saying that the bible is the only way to know the word of God would be close minded and probably foolish. That would assume that God hasn't had any new thoughts since that book was written. I can't imagine that to be the case.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Let me ask this question, as far as "ghost" go, is it possible that sometime we are speaking of angels here, this is just my opinion, angels and demons are spoke of in the Bible, as there are numerous accounts of them. Notice I didnt say a ghost of someone that is dead. The Bible clearly states for a believer "to be absent with the body is to be present with the Lord." On the subject of hauntings and communciating with the dead, the bible forbids the communciating part, and hauntings, to me are either two things, explainable things or I believe the work of the devil.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:37 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
kaykay wrote:
Quote:
So I wondered, MG, what you were thinking when you began this thread. I thought you were one of the atheists that thought there was a scientific, physical explanation for everything.
I do think there's a scientific explanation for everything. Also, I don't believe in anything supernatural but it's an interesting topic and I was curious about the beliefs of people who are both religious and nonreligious on this subject. I was also wondering how the concept of ghosts would fit into the overall scheme of things to a person who's religious. I mentioned the irrational fear of my aunt and uncle's house that I've always had. Of course I don't believe it's haunted or anything like that but it's strange how our minds can play tricks on us even when we're trying to be rational. I wondered what other experiences people have had that are similar.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:38 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
I think I like to take the "Ghost Whisperer" approach to this
it seems valid
Ghosts are here because they have unfinished business
kinda like purgetory state
not all can see them
except a small chosen few IE John Edward (he seems to be the most valid of all the hocus pocus people)

I mean Jesus basically came back as a ghost because he told his deciples not to touch him because he had not ascended yet
(hence the unfinished business)
I mean if you think it is not proper ok nothing wrong with that
But if my grandma came to me I would not tell her I wouldn't talk to her because it doesn't say I can in the bible JMO

Old 05-17-2007, 03:51 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kaykay wrote:

I do think there's a scientific explanation for everything. Also, I don't believe in anything supernatural but it's an interesting topic and I was curious about the beliefs of people who are both religious and nonreligious on this subject. I was also wondering how the concept of ghosts would fit into the overall scheme of things to a person who's religious. I mentioned the irrational fear of my aunt and uncle's house that I've always had. Of course I don't believe it's haunted or anything like that but it's strange how our minds can play tricks on us even when we're trying to be rational. I wondered what other experiences people have had that are similar.
Referring back to your Aunt and Uncle's house, you said you were a kid when you realized that you were scared of that place. Perhaps, you watched a scary movie at one time and something reminded you of your aunt and uncle's house, or maybe something else scared you as a child while you were there. Perhaps, as a result, your subconscious was telling you that you should be scared of this place because it is "very familiar" to that "bad place" you saw when you were younger. It's a fright and flight function of the brain that is especially active in children because of their need to survive and not being as fit as their adult counterparts. Perhaps, even now, that back part of your brain is still saying "Woah, wait a minute MontanaGuy, we went over this before, that house over there is spooky. I don't like it, because of that movie. Remember that movie? Of course you don't because you were a kid. But I do and it scared the heck out of me. Here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to make this place mentally and visually eerie so that you don't like going back there. That way I don't have to deal with it and you don't have to deal with it."

Old 05-17-2007, 04:24 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
GCSTroop wrote:
Quote:
Referring back to your Aunt and Uncle's house, you said you were a kid when you realized that you were scared of that place. Perhaps, you watched a scary movie at one time and something reminded you of your aunt and uncle's house, or maybe something else scared you as a child while you were there.
That would make sense except both of my sisters feel exactly the same way. We've even talked about the possibility that maybe something that scared all of us when we were really young might have happened and we just can't remember it. It really makes no sense to me either and I'm sure not saying it's some supernatural thing, I just don't know.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:56 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
GCSTroop wrote:

That would make sense except both of my sisters feel exactly the same way. We've even talked about the possibility that maybe something that scared all of us when we were really young might have happened and we just can't remember it. It really makes no sense to me either and I'm sure not saying it's some supernatural thing, I just don't know.

Yeah, it could be something stupid that triggers the reaction. Let's say you and your sister(s) were all little kids and Dad comes home on Halloween with a werewolf mask on. He scares you and chases you around the house and knocks over a vase. The crashing sound of the vase scares you and your sisters. Your aunt and uncle have the same exact vase and the "trigger" is what scares you.

When I was about 2-3 years old I had a nightmare that scared the living heck out of me about a red 60's model Ford Mustang hitting me. It was the same car that drove up and down the street all the time. My nightmare was just that it hit me. To this day, any time I go to a classic car show and see a Red 60's model Mustang I have a flashback to that dream even though it was years ago and I was still a baby.

It doesn't have to be anything that makes sense. Smell is associated with being the most common sense tied to memory. Sometimes, that's just the way our brain works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality