Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
No, I do not know Arabic language. But I do know English, and I thought it would be helpful for you to understand that the word "cast" has several different meanings, even though it is spelled the same and sound the same. If the Arabic word does not have different meanings, then you may be right about how it was written.
The Arabic word ألقى may have some related meaning, and there are some usages like ألقى في that is the expression used in the ayat about mountains, and which may indicate it is "cast into" (this is other than ألقى على [not used in such ayat] which may indicate it is "cast upon") and the expression in the ayat may give their landing was not by a strike or impact but rather moderate, then when they landed they were heavily settled and firm on the ground; and God is the All-Knowing.

Moreover, when the translators came to translate such word, they had other related words like: throw or throw at or throw on or throw into; so they [like Arberry honestly tried to observe the literal meaning of the words, while some Muslims may twist the meaning to suit their interpretation] so generally the translators did not choose such words because it would give some other imprssions, which may be similar to the Arabic word رمى which was not used in the aya.

Quote:
However, that doesn't mean mountains are meteorites that landed on the Earth.
At the time the text was written, it would be quite easy to wonder why some mountains came to be located where they were. They would not have had the knowledge about mountain formation that we have today.
The Quran revealed from God Almighty and All-Knowing is miraculous in this way also; it gives meaning and each generation will understand according to their level of knowledge; and new meaning may appear later on and they will be alert to it.

I gave you an example before, the dresses that man wears:
If you ask anyone what the benefit of dresses to man, everyone will answer, even the Bedwin of the desert: the dresses protect man from coldness and heat.

But in the Quran, the dresses protect from heat, and did not say: protect from coldness.

This is in the Quran 16: 81
وَجَعَلَ لَكُمْ سَرَابِيلَ تَقِيكُمُ الْحَرَّ وَسَرَابِيلَ تَقِيكُم بَأْسَكُمْ كَذَلِكَ يُتِمُّ نِعْمَتَهُ عَلَيْكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُسْلِمُونَ
The explanation:
([And God] has made for you garments to protect you from heat, and coats [of mail] to protect you from your violence.
As such will He perfect His grace on you that you may submit [to Him.])

That is because the coat of mail will protect them from arrows and swords, while the garments will protect them from heat of the sun and the hot weather which come to them from outside their bodies;

and had He said: to protect you from heat and coldness, it would have been wrong: because the coldness will not come to them from outside their bodies, but they will lose their internal heat of their bodies, and the dresses or clothes in this respect will keep them warm by preserving their body temperature but will not avert from them the coldness, because [unlike the heat] it does not come to them from outside.

And this is a simple and clear proof: if Mohammed had written the Quran from his own, he would have written: the garments protect you from the heat and the coldness.

While in another site in the Quran 16: 5 He said:
وَالأَنْعَامَ خَلَقَهَا لَكُمْ فِيهَا دِفْءٌ وَمَنَافِعُ وَمِنْهَا تَأْكُلُونَ

The explanation:
(And the cattle – He created them; wherein is warmth and many advantages for you, and whereof you eat.)

That is because specially if they are on journey, and it was very cold or there is some cold wind, they will come to the side of the bodies of their camels to protect them from the wind and to find warmth in their bodies.

Quote:
Regarding the Ice Ages and mountains on other planets and moons in the solar system, please show me an example of one of those mountains you're asking about? It's a good idea to keep in mind that there are no bodies in the solar system with the exact same atmospheric and geological conditions that we have here on Earth.
It is not revealed in the Quran that Himalaya or Alp or Atlas had fallen from the sky; but the ayat spoke in general; but as you said the atmosphere of the Moon is different from the Earth, then how could it have the mountains there, and the mountains on Mars and other planets; because you said the Ice Age caused the valleys between mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:40 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
Moreover, when the translators came to translate such word, they had other related words like: throw or throw at or throw on or throw into; so they [like Arberry honestly tried to observe the literal meaning of the words, while some Muslims may twist the meaning to suit their interpretation] so generally the translators did not choose such words because it would give some other imprssions, which may be similar to the Arabic word رمى which was not used in the aya.
I'm not saying Arberry was wrong with his translation. My point is that the English word "cast" has numerous different meanings, including "to shape or form something". If that was the context he perceived, then Arberry's use of the word "cast" would still be correct as meaning to shape or form the mountains. The rules of English can be very strange sometimes. However, you stated that almost all Muslins disagree with the view that certain mountains are meteorites that landed on the Earth. But you seem to think everyone else is wrong except you?

Quote:
It is not revealed in the Quran that Himalaya or Alp or Atlas had fallen from the sky; but the ayat spoke in general; but as you said the atmosphere of the Moon is different from the Earth, then how could it have the mountains there, and the mountains on Mars and other planets; because you said the Ice Age caused the valleys between mountains.
Come on, I'm not talking about huge mountain ranges like the Himalayas, Alps or the Atlas mountains. The mountains in those ranges were clearly formed by movement of the Earth. I mentioned the Ice Ages as another shaper of the Earth because you only listed tectonic plate movement and volcanoes as able to create mountains, and I agreed with you. They do, but so did the glacial movements of the Ice Ages.

The Ice Ages did not necessarily form extremely tall mountains, but more like the ones in the photo you posted a link to. Most of those kinds are what I would consider hills, rather than mountains. But I realize that some people call them mountains. Anyway, you wanted to know how certain mountains and valleys that look out of place can be explained. I explained it for you.

Here you are again asking about mountains on the Moon, on Mars and other planets. I already asked if you could show me an example of such mountains. If you can do that, I'll have a much better idea what kind of mountains you mean. I don't want to try to just guess at what you're talking about.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:38 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default More silly quotes "proving" nothing....

Quote:
I don't want to try to just guess at what you're talking about.
Oh please do, NB! I wanna see the response.....

eanassir, do not try to confuse or compare the rise of mountains on a moon that is and has always been unprotected from the obvious large meteoric impacts it has sustained over the millions of years of it's existence.

Aside from your near-constant yet unconvincing use of Qu'Ranic quotes to "prove" everything, you'll have to come up with a better working knowledge of basic, high-school level geology if you want to debate the topic.

Otherwise, you continue to sound like a delusional fundamentalist!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,974 times
The Quran phobia that you conceive shields you against seeing the truth, that the Quran is the authentic word of God, so that you will not consider any proof or evidence, and whatever explanation I may give you, you will pass over it and it will not convince you.

Anyhow, I want you to imagine the earth together with the planets and the sun are burst alltogether. (This will happen in the next Doomsday.) In other words, when all the solar system will burst and break up: what will result?

The present Sun, before that explosion, will have a thin earthy crust on its surface, and then will split up --> 19 pieces --> the future new planets.

The Earth (and in similar manner, the other planets: Mars, Jupiter ...etc) will split up --> a large number of portions or pieces --> which will roam in the space, then will fall on the new planets to form the mountains there.

The present mountains existing now on Earth and the rest of the planets will be smashed into --> dust scattered in the space.

The nearest sun (Saqar) will attract all the remnants of the previous solar system. The new planets will circle around this Saqar, the parts of the previous planets will fall as mountains on the new planets and carry the seed of life to the new planets.

----------------------------------------------------------
So this event happened in the past, millions of years ago, many times (seven Doomsdays had happened and the next will be the eighth.)
-----------------------------------------------------------

If we imagine this whole catastrophe, we will realize what happened in the past Doomsday which resutlted in the formation of the present solar system from the parts of the previous solar system, and the appearance of the new sun: our present sun, which was the nearest sun to such occurrence, and it captured the pieces of the destroyed previous sun, forming the present Earth and the planets and the present solar system.

If you imagine what can happen when the Earth and the rest of the planets together with the sun will burst and break up, then everything will be clear.

Of course you will say: how can you prove this? I tell you just imagine when this will happen what will be the result?
Why do you insist on refusing such possibility and it explains many things like the large number of rocks that fall from the space till now, and the appearance of life on Earth (and the other planets, that were very hot and flaming in the past) such life which has not yet been proved; but beforehand we say there is life on the planets.

The Universe and the Quran 4 (http://www.quran-ayat.com/u/new_page_4.htm#Formation_of_the_New_Planets - broken link)

Last edited by eanassir; 12-28-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality