Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,611,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It's quite elementary.

Design can be apparent only if there are things which are not designed that I can use for comparison. If the whole universe is designed, then there exists nothing to compare. In other words, before the word "designed" can have meaning, you must show me something that is not designed. Claiming the whole universe to be designed precludes one from doing so.
So if the only way to distinguish a designed item is to compare to an non-designed item, how do you tell which is which without a label from the designer?

Ahhhh, Perhaps the key word in this is 'apparent'? I have often heard that things happen for "no apparent" reason or something exists for "no apparent" cause. Maybe that is because you are right and since everything was designed it is not apparent. That would explain much. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:01 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,535,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I feel that much of the root of the anger is due to the void that most non-christians feel in their life and a loss of what to do about it. I have observed that even those I know personally that denied such a void have often expressed sentiments that are very similar in nature so it seems to be either unrecognized for what it is or they choose to deny and attempt to play word games with themselves.
This is quite presumptuous, a bit condescending and most certainly false.

As an example, the group with the lowest divorce rate is atheists. I would say that this at least suggests that non-believers do not have the void you claim we do. I know I don't...nope...no void whatsoever.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,611,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
This is quite presumptuous, a bit condescending and most certainly false.

As an example, the group with the lowest divorce rate is atheists. I would say that this at least suggests that non-believers do not have a void such that you claim.
Or you could say that proves that misery loves company. I try not to make such jumps in logic over a single statistic.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
So if the only way to distinguish a designed item is to compare to an non-designed item, how do you tell which is which without a label from the designer?
Christians claim the entire universe is designed. You can't tell which is which because everything is designed. The member I responded to said that design should be apparent to anyone looking at earth. Yet, the moon is also designed, and it looks nothing like the earth. So is the sun designed, as is Haley's comet, a grain of sand, a hydrogen atom; all designed, yet all incredibly different. See what I'm getting at? How can design be apparent if everything is designed? It can't.

Quote:
Ahhhh, Perhaps the key word in this is 'apparent'? I have often heard that things happen for "no apparent" reason or something exists for "no apparent" cause. Maybe that is because you are right and since everything was designed it is not apparent. That would explain much.
Yes, I believe you've got it.
Quote:
Thanks!
You're most welcome.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 PM

954 posts, read 814,048 times
[quote=johnrex62;768791]
Quote:
I feel that much of the root of the anger is due to the void that most non-christians feel in their life and a loss of what to do about it.
Man! This kind of arrogance really makes my blood boil. I have no void in my life. My life is not empty, lost or meaningless because I don't believe in supernatural beings. My life is totally fulfilled. Please! Stop saying that we missing out on life because we don't believe. We aren't!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:35 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,709,893 times
[quote=pladecalvo;768966]
Quote:
Man! This kind of arrogance really makes my blood boil. I have no void in my life. My life is not empty, lost or meaningless because I don't believe in supernatural beings. My life is totally fulfilled. Please! Stop saying that we missing out on life because we don't believe. We aren't!!!!!!
You're proving his point. If you had no void, and were in perfect peace, there'd be no reason for your blood to boil. Your state of mind and meaning in life would not be affected what others say. Do you not see that?

Peace.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Or you could say that proves that misery loves company.
Do you really want to go there? (I'll get right back to ya...I'm reading an article on mega-churches.)
Quote:
I try not to make such jumps in logic over a single statistic.
I didn't see any logic used at all in your assertions that atheists are angry, unfulfilled, empty people. Feel free to provide support for this claim, if you would.

On the other hand, my providing divorce statistics does logically challenge your assertions. A coherent argument can be made using such statistics.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:37 PM

646 posts, read 1,611,150 times
Quote:

I feel that much of the root of the anger is due to the void that most non-christians feel in their life and a loss of what to do about it. I have observed that even those I know personally that denied such a void have often expressed sentiments that are very similar in nature so it seems to be either unrecognized for what it is or they choose to deny and attempt to play word games with themselves.
I know that you are simply not going to believe me on this. But I have to try. I feel no void in my life. I am quite happy and fulfilled. I do not find myself lacking when measured against some cosmic yardstick, and I do not yearn for a higher power.

Quote:
Your observation regarding the intensity level of the hatefulness of the anti-God side being noticably higher is correct. And I have to agree that it is odd since many in the group claim to not believe due to scientific evidenciary shortcomings. If that were wholly the case, I would expect a much more dispassionate response and the visceral opinion to spew from those who accept their case strictly on faith. Faith would seem to be the much more emotionally charged argument. This does not translate well into real life though.
I bolded some stuff. I do not think that you are correct in this. I have seen some intense words from both sides of the debate, and reasoned opinion from both sides.

Christians do appeal to emotion more often than atheists. Christian testimonials are often strewn with words like feel, in my heart, etc. You pretty much never see this language from atheists in a debate.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

You're proving his point. If you had no void, and were in perfect peace, there'd be no reason for your blood to boil. Your state of mind and meaning in life would not be affected what others say. Do you not see that?

Peace.
Being at peace with oneself does not mean we become zombies. It's only natural to feel anger when lies are told. This isn't an expression of a "void."

Old 05-24-2007, 02:40 PM

646 posts, read 1,611,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Peace.
So you never feel angry yourself? Your alleged void, having supposedly been filled, precludes you from being mad? If not, then the corollary is not true, and you have leveled a baseless accusation at plad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality